LSA IFR/IMC

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

dstclair

LSA IFR/IMC

Post by dstclair »

My particular LSA was built before ASTM restricted IMC flight and has operating limitations that allows my LSA to fly IFC in IMC conditions to 'IFR on top' in VMC conditions. Basically, the ability to cut through a layer to VMC conditions on top. There are several other conditions as well (non forecast/known lightning, icing or thunderstorms within 20nm of your position, destination and origination must be VMC, etc.). There are additional equipment requirements in addition to FAR 91.205 but the key requirement is: "Two-way radio communication and navigation equipment suitable for the route to be flown". I only have a Garmin 795 for navigation which, of course, is not IFR certified. The times I've done a pop-up clearance in the distant past typically were 'maintain current heading and climb to XY feet'. I know my only options to legally fly enroute/approach IFR/IMC is to have either a VOR NAV or certified GPS. Just looking for generally opinions on what would be 'navigation equipment suitable for the route to be flown' given the op lims?
dave
3Dreaming

Re: LSA IFR/IMC

Post by 3Dreaming »

Swap out your com radio with something like a Garmin 430, and add a CDI. That should be all you would need.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

3Dreaming wrote:Swap out your com radio with something like a Garmin 430, and add a CDI. That should be all you would need.
And/or add an IFR certified GPS. I would probably do both. Once you take of in IFR conditions, you don't always know what kind of clearance and/or approach you might need.

I guess a Garmin 430 IS both. That's what my friend put in his Mooney, but it was after I was no longer flying it.
Retired from flying.
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

Just one thing to note. These are the requirement for the aircraft only!

The pilot must be Private Pilot or greater With an instrument rating and current :wink:
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Jim Hardin wrote:Just one thing to note. These are the requirement for the aircraft only!

The pilot must be Private Pilot or greater With an instrument rating and current :wink:
Of course.
Retired from flying.