Increasing speed/weight limits for LSA?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Warmi

Re: Increasing speed/weight limits for LSA?

Postby Warmi » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:06 pm

I don’t think anybody does their SP in 20 hours nor there is significant difference between PP and SP training. A few more basic instrument lessons , night landings and a bit longer cross country.
None of that makes any significant sdifference in terms of new pilots abilities to fly planes - the real learning begins the day you get your license and how well you manage from that point on.
At least that was the case with my training ... I did PP cross country and few other bits required for PP - the only thing I didn’t do is to take the PP checkride which I probably will anyway precisely because there is hardly any difference between training regimes and PP gives you a lot more options for just a bit more effort.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois

TimTaylor

Postby TimTaylor » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:14 pm

I'm not talking about what someone does. I'm talking about the REQUIREMENTS for Sport Pilot. If they were to significantly change the definition of LSA, they should rethink the requirements for Sport Pilot. If they simply increase MTOW from 1320 pounds to 1420 pounds, then maybe not.

MrMorden

Postby MrMorden » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:45 pm

TimTaylor wrote:2000 pounds? Why not 6000 pounds? At what point would they decide you need a medical or Basic Med? Any significant change to LSA should be accompanied by an total reevaluation of the Sport Pilot certificate. When is 20 hours of training no long enough?

Personally, I would say never, I don’t think class three medicals serve a useful purpose for light aircraft. Once again...opinions.

BTW, the Sport Pilot has to accomplish every task on their checkride that a Private Pilot does, with the exception of radio navigation.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA

Return to “Light Sport Aircraft”