Can convert LSA to E-LSA to fly faster than 120 kts.?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

3Dreaming

Re: Can convert LSA to E-LSA to fly faster than 120 kts.?

Post by 3Dreaming »

TimTaylor wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
TimTaylor wrote: I would have thought there is some definition of what constitutes a glider or motor glider. I seriously doubt you can certify any LSA as a motor glider, unless it is one. The beauty of the motor glider option is if you have failed your last medical and can't get a new one, the motor glider would be a decent option.
Actually there have been a few SLSA motor gliders. The Lambada is one.
My point was, I don't think you can certify a C162 or CTLS or CTSW as a motor glider just because you want to or because you have modified it and it no longer meets the definition of an LSA.
You are correct that you can't modify a LSA so that exceeds LSA limits, then change its certification to a motor glider.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

3Dreaming wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
You are mostly right, you wouldn't have to be a private or higher. Unless the horsepower is increased above 180, or it is extensively modified a recreational pilot would be able to fly it.
My thinking does not even include Recreational Pilot since I have never seen or heard of anyone who is one.
I do know a recreational pilot. I also provide it as an option to students who ask about a sport pilot rating purely from a cost perspective.
I'm sure there are some.
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Rec Pilot is the second best kept secret in aviation. (Sport Pilot is apparently the first best kept secret...)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:Rec Pilot is the second best kept secret in aviation. (Sport Pilot is apparently the first best kept secret...)
Agreed, especially with basic med. All of the sport pilot privileges with a little extra training, plus you can fly several of the classic GA airplanes like a Cessna 150/172 that a sport pilot cannot.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

There are 153 pilots holding Rec Pilot certificate.

There are 300 000+ pilots in the US - either most of these 300 000 folks are clueless or the Rec Cert is a complete waste of money and time ... I think the market has spoken .. and very , very loudly at that :-)
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

I know one recreational pilot. IIRC there are leas than a hundred of them in the whole US.

I don't see any advantage to a rec pilot certificate. Limited compared to private, yet still requires a medical...
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
comperini

Post by comperini »

TimTaylor wrote: I would have thought there is some definition of what constitutes a glider or motor glider. I seriously doubt you can certify any LSA as a motor glider, unless it is one. The beauty of the motor glider option is if you have failed your last medical and can't get a new one, the motor glider would be a decent option.
Several years ago, a person near me, got his single place quicksilver sprint certificated as a motor glider.
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

MrMorden wrote:I know one recreational pilot. IIRC there are leas than a hundred of them in the whole US.

I don't see any advantage to a rec pilot certificate. Limited compared to private, yet still requires a medical...
I agree.
Retired from flying.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

The recreational pilot certificate never took hold, because when it was created it was to restrictive. Once a way was added to remove those restrictions it became more viable. By that point all the flight instructors already had their mind made up about the certificate.

Sport Pilot was met by the same flight instructors in much the same manner.