S-LSA converted to E-LSA

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

c162pilot

S-LSA converted to E-LSA

Postby c162pilot » Sun May 27, 2018 5:32 pm

Seeking advice from those of you who have taken your S-LSA to E-LSA. If you purchase a S-LSA aircraft and then transition it into the E-LSA category can you then make changes to the aircraft that takes it beyond S-LSA regulations? Example would be changing to a prop that causes the aircraft to exceed 120 KTIS. The reason I ask is that some S-LSA’s sold in the USA are certified to higher speeds in their country of manufacture but are modified to reduce there speed in the USA to qualify as a S-LSA.

FastEddieB

Re: S-LSA converted to E-LSA

Postby FastEddieB » Sun May 27, 2018 5:40 pm

c162pilot wrote:Seeking advice from those of you who have taken your S-LSA to E-LSA. If you purchase a S-LSA aircraft and then transition it into the E-LSA category can you then make changes to the aircraft that takes it beyond S-LSA regulations?

No.

c162pilot wrote:If you purchase a S-LSA aircraft and Example would be changing to a prop that causes the aircraft to exceed 120 KTIS.

You could do that, but would have to placard it in such a way to stay below that speed in normal cruise. RPM limitation would be the most obvious way.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
FastEddieB@mac.com

zodiac flyer

Postby zodiac flyer » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:03 pm

Thats a pretty interesting question. I have a Zodiac AMD built, converted to ELSA from SLSA. The registration and airworthiness certificate say Experimental, operating as a light sport. Once you take the aircraft out of it's operating limitations, I don't think you are able to go back. So if it's not an experimental operating as a light sport, what is it? Does it become a Experimental? How can it be, if the paperwork says operating as a light sport?
This is above my pay grade, hopefully Mel or some other DAR can respond to this.
Dave
N601XP

TimTaylor

Postby TimTaylor » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:11 pm

I'm guessing it's experimental operating as light sport until it no longer meets the definition of light sport. At that time, it would become experimental. A Sport Pilot can only fly LSA, so I assume you would need a Private or better to fly it.
Commercial Pilot Airplane Single & Multiengine Land; Instrument Airplane; Sport Endorsement Airplane Single Engine Sea; Flight Instructor Airplane Single And Multiengine; Ground Instructor Advanced Instrument

3Dreaming

Postby 3Dreaming » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:58 pm

Experimental airworthiness certificates are issued under I think 9 different sub areas. You have to fall under one of them. Take a look at CFR 21.191 for the options. If you leave experimental operating as a light sport you don't have many options, Experimental R&D or Experimental exhibition would be your choices. Neither of which will have desirable operating limitations.

comperini

Postby comperini » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:41 pm

TimTaylor wrote:I'm guessing it's experimental operating as light sport until it no longer meets the definition of light sport. At that time, it would become experimental. A Sport Pilot can only fly LSA, so I assume you would need a Private or better to fly it.

It doesn't change experimental categories. You simply have invalidated your airworthiness certificate. period
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com

ShawnM

Postby ShawnM » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:11 pm

A simple way to look at it is it's still a light sport aircraft and it DOES meet all the definitions of a light sport airplane. I converted my SportCruiser and only have a sport pilot rating. Nothing changes except I'm now allowed to make any and all changes I want, myself. I no longer need a LOA/MRA or permission from the manufacturer or a LSRMA to work on it other than for my annual since I didn't take the class to do it myself. I cannot however make any changes that take the aircraft outside the definition of a light sport, that would violate the FAR's. (ie, a constant speed prop, etc.) I dont know what would happen if you did and why.

On the FAA website my registration now reads:

Classification: Experimental
Category: Operating Light-Sport Prev. issued cert under 21.190

There's more to the conversion but that's basically it in a nutshell.

TimTaylor

Postby TimTaylor » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:26 pm

There are two question raised here. Converting from S-LSA to E-LSA, not a problem. Making a modification that takes it out of the LSA definition, is a problem. For example, if you did something that raised the stall speed above LSA limits or put on a constant speed prop.
Commercial Pilot Airplane Single & Multiengine Land; Instrument Airplane; Sport Endorsement Airplane Single Engine Sea; Flight Instructor Airplane Single And Multiengine; Ground Instructor Advanced Instrument

ShawnM

Postby ShawnM » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:23 am

TimTaylor wrote:There are two question raised here. Converting from S-LSA to E-LSA, not a problem. Making a modification that takes it out of the LSA definition, is a problem. For example, if you did something that raised the stall speed above LSA limits or put on a constant speed prop.

Correct Tim, in my opinion most make the switch to E-LSA to be able to make minor changes and do a lot of the work on their own plane. I also switched because my manufacturer, Czech Sport Aircraft, does not issue LOA/MRA’s for any reason. I simply wanted to upgrade my outdated 2007 avionics and the manufacturer would not allow it. In a nutshell, they suck.

I have no intention of making changes that would take my plane out of the definition of a light sport. Since I currently only hold a SP rating and I don’t even know what would happen if I did and what the new category would be. I also don’t think others are making these changes either, it’s really all about the freedom from the manufacturer and their rules. :mrgreen:

Return to “Light Sport Aircraft”