AVweb Video on Vashon Ranger + Aviation Consumer Article

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

TimTaylor

Re: AVweb Video on Vashon Ranger + Aviation Consumer Article

Post by TimTaylor »

I don't see the new engine as a super big deal. If it cost 1/2 as much and they pass 1/2 of that on to the customer, the price might drop from $99,500 to $94,500 for the Basic Ranger 7 and the useful load go up from 445 pounds to 455 or 460 pounds. That's all good, but not something to get over-hyped about.

And, it would probably happen about the time they were ready to announce a price increase, so the buyer might not see any of it.
Retired from flying.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

One of my aviation friends who I almost bought a SkyCatcher from, reminded me of the possible upcoming change in the LSA definition. He suggested I might want to wait and see how that plays out. Good point as long as I have good access to a rental LSA, which I currently do.
Retired from flying.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Warmi wrote:Yeah, send the check ... when I was buying my plane, I was going back and further on daily basis but ultimately it was the “ f*** it, I cant take any money with me when I am gone so may as well enjoy it while I am still around” argument that won the day :D
You must not have a spouse who will probably outlive you by 20 or 25 years. My wife, who turned 70 yesterday, has a mother who is 95 years old. My wife's mom has two living sisters. They live a long time.
Retired from flying.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Tim,

Given...

A) You still love flying, and...

B) You recognize that your flying career has a finite “shelf life”...

I would encourage you, as I have in the past, to shop for a nice, used example of a plane you enjoy flying. Since you are enamored with Continental over ROTAX, and metal over composite, the 162 fills the bill nicely.

1) It would get you in the air now, making best use of your limited time horizon.

2) A 162, or any used Light Sport for that matter, has already taken the biggest depreciation hit its likely to see.

3) You could still keep your deposit in on the Vashon, and when the time comes, sell the used plane for not a huge amount less than what you paid for it, and use those proceeds towards the Vashon.

4) With the uncertainty and volatility of today’s financial markets, it might make sense to pull some money out of equities as protection against future financial turmoil. I did so to finance most of our “pole barn” adventure.

I’m aware of the other financial considerations that weigh on you. I’m not saying they’re unimportant or should be disregarded. But as a general rule, I find people are very good at coming up with reasons not to do things. If it turns out you only have a few years of flying left, why spend even a portion of that time agonizing over your decision? I think Nike has a slogan that might fit the sentiment I am trying to convey.

The above is nothing I haven’t discussed with you in the past, but I think it bears repeating. If I can help out in any way, including flying you hither and yon to look at prospects, be sure to let me know. I would enjoy being part of the process.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

Eddie, what a great post! Finalizing and adopting the proposed LSA changes will likely take at least a couple of years, and as Snuffy Smith says, "Time's a-wastin."

FWIW, I'm with Tim on engines; I like the Continental O-200 and am willing to take the useful load hit to have one up front.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
drseti

Post by drseti »

A Vashon Ranger dropped in at the Piper Memorial Airport (KLHV) this week, enroute to its new owner. First time I've seen one in the flesh.
vashon.gif
vashon.gif (169.7 KiB) Viewed 11678 times
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
RTK

Post by RTK »

drseti wrote:A Vashon Ranger dropped in at the Piper Memorial Airport (KLHV) this week, enroute to its new owner. First time I've seen one in the flesh.
Thanks for posting the pic! What did you think of it?

I’ve yet to see one in person, but it does look like a really nice, robust aircraft at a very compelling price.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Thanks for your post Eddie. I'm not looking for a reason not to buy an airplane. I'm on the fence, and have been for years, as to if I even WANT to own another airplane. It's not like a decision to fly or not fly. It's a decision to buy or continue renting the SkyCatcher from Troy. As we all know, there are pros and cons. I talked with Troy yesterday and he has no intentions of selling the SkyCatcher in the foreseeable future. That means it will still be available to rent and possibly to purchase later. He certainly will give me first shot when and if he decides to sell. He also has a donor SkyCatcher available for parts and a replacement engine when the time comes.

Buying an airplane would be an emotional decision for me. There is really no practical reason I should purchase an airplane. Also, making sure my wife is taken care of for the balance of her life is the ONLY important thing I have left to do. I will not put that at risk for my own selfish reasons. When she gets her rather large inheritance I will be in a position to know exactly where she stands with that and whatever we have left.

I agree, a used SkyCatcher makes more sense for me at this time. However, in a couple years, maybe a used C172 would make more sense. I guess I'll forgo the Ranger for now and continue renting the SkyCatcher while it's available. When something forces my hand, I'll go from there. My health at the time will also have to be a factor.

Thanks for you help.

EDIT: I should also add that the Remos GX is available to rent when we are in NC at $110 per hour and no sales tax, being out of state. It is a 30 minute drive to the airport. I call on the way and they have the plane pulled out of the hanger and fuel topped off by the time I arrive. Same with the SkyCatcher at KGVL except it's an hour drive.
Retired from flying.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Another new wrinkle...it looks like my wife's Sirius XM radio and navigation system may be going out in her 2015 Toyota Highlander. I have an appointment for Tuesday with Toyota to check it out, but it seems to be a common problem. If it needs a new head unit (out of warranty), I am going to trade the car for a 2019 Honda Odyssey. We have a test drive scheduled for Monday.

As an aside, as FastEddie would say, I drive a 2002 Tahoe with 167,000 miles. Just sayin... It gets me to the airport and back, has great A/C and still looks almost new with leather interior.
Retired from flying.
Type47

Post by Type47 »

RTK wrote:
drseti wrote:A Vashon Ranger dropped in at the Piper Memorial Airport (KLHV) this week, enroute to its new owner. First time I've seen one in the flesh.

I’ve yet to see one in person, but it does look like a really nice, robust aircraft at a very compelling price.
I realize you weren’t talking to me, but I sat in one at Oshkosh.
Much larger in person. Truly surprising the amount of space inside.
Design is definitely utilitarion.
Finish is good.
Nice details like clips to hold doors forward so they don’t flap in the wind.
Type47
LSRI
INTJ
2006 Tecnam P92 Echo Super
Don’t do the thing that almost killed you until you at least get the staples taken out of your head first….
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Type47 wrote:
RTK wrote:

I realize you weren’t talking to me, but I sat in one at Oshkosh.
Much larger in person. Truly surprising the amount of space inside.
Design is definitely utilitarion.
Finish is good.
Nice details like clips to hold doors forward so they don’t flap in the wind.
You mean it's larger than the 5 inch image on my computer screen? :)
Retired from flying.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

TimTaylor wrote:Another new wrinkle...it looks like my wife's Sirius XM radio and navigation system may be going out in her 2015 Toyota Highlander. I have an appointment for Tuesday with Toyota to check it out, but it seems to be a common problem. If it needs a new head unit (out of warranty), I am going to trade the car for a 2019 Honda Odyssey. We have a test drive scheduled for Monday.

As an aside, as FastEddie would say, I drive a 2002 Tahoe with 167,000 miles. Just sayin... It gets me to the airport and back, has great A/C and still looks almost new with leather interior.
Traded the Highlander for a 2019 Honda Odyssey EX-L Monday. Cancelled my appointment with Toyota. Happy wife, happy life. :D
Retired from flying.
Wmmau

Post by Wmmau »

Type47 wrote:Word on the street is that there is a new clean sheet engine being designed for this aircraft. Supposedly 30% more power and half the price. Possibly called “Olga”?
See at http://www.epi-eng.com/aircraft_engine_ ... engine.htm.
Test runs are on youtube.
Absolute game changer if true.
Just watched the video, and if you look closely in the background you can see Mr. Dynon himself -- anyone able to find any updates on this engine?

I'm torn between this and the Aerotrek - both attractive and we'll equipped aircraft, but both certainly have their pros and cons. More creature comforts in the Ranger, but heavy; more payload and (in my opinion) better styling in the Aerotrek, but fabric worries me long term. They're completely different aircraft, but I like them both.
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

The engine is interesting. I had not heard of it before.

A couple things that I noticed.
200 cubic inch and 2700 RPM. Interesting the power increase but not sure if it’s from better breathing, fuel injection, cam or better spark control?
The cylinders are all aluminum possibly with steel sleeves. Looks like an automotive type design piston
The camshaft looks like very long duration lobes. Not sure how that works out but it’s quite different looking than O-200
The rockers covers also appear very tall (high valve lift? or roller clearance?
I wonder why they did not machine the case halves for an O ring around the outside like current Lycon modification
I like the O ring valve cover seals
The top mounted starter will be too tall for a lot of LSA applications to keep a low drag cowling top
The long prop shaft should help cowling design but should be plated or painted for corrosion protection
Oil cooler needed?
Wet sump or oil tank?

It’s a very conventional but not conventional engine. Will be interesting to see how they progress
"Perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add but when there is no longer anything to take away." Antoine de Saint Exupery
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Wmmau wrote:
Type47 wrote:Word on the street is that there is a new clean sheet engine being designed for this aircraft. Supposedly 30% more power and half the price. Possibly called “Olga”?
See at http://www.epi-eng.com/aircraft_engine_ ... engine.htm.
Test runs are on youtube.
Absolute game changer if true.
Just watched the video, and if you look closely in the background you can see Mr. Dynon himself -- anyone able to find any updates on this engine?

I'm torn between this and the Aerotrek - both attractive and we'll equipped aircraft, but both certainly have their pros and cons. More creature comforts in the Ranger, but heavy; more payload and (in my opinion) better styling in the Aerotrek, but fabric worries me long term. They're completely different aircraft, but I like them both.
Aerotrek is a nice plane but one thing that would bother me about it is their 1235 lbs gross - that alone pretty much cancels out Rotax weight advantage ...
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois