AVweb Video on Vashon Ranger + Aviation Consumer Article

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Hambone

Re: AVweb Video on Vashon Ranger + Aviation Consumer Article

Post by Hambone »

I'm rather intrigued by the Ranger. If they can keep the price as advertised, and production in sufficient volume, I think they could be on to a winner.

As a techie person, I really like the way all electronics and electrics are tightly integrated by design. As a (hopefully) soon-to-be CFI-S, I like the all-metal construction, ruggedness, and the "old school" engine's simplicity. And I really like the way the seats fold flat to make sleeping room for 2.

And, of course, it's all made in the good ol' US of A!
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Hambone wrote:
As a techie person, I really like the way all electronics and electrics are tightly integrated by design.
I guess it’s my Luddite tendencies coming to the fore, but all that “integration” makes me a little nervous.

I don’t like being totally dependent on screens to get all my info. I suppose having two screens provides redundancy, if they’re totally independent of each other or can be made so.

Still, I’ve had enough issues with computers and electronics to be wary of “putting all my eggs in one - or two - baskets”. I like the redundancy of backup gauges for critical info.

But I will admit I’m probably a dying breed. I’m sure steam gauges will soon be in a pile with old floppy disks, and a new generation will marvel at how we once thought we needed them!
Last edited by FastEddieB on Wed May 02, 2018 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Oops - duplicate. Hit “quote” instead of “edit”.

You can see why I’m wary of “integration”!
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

FastEddieB wrote:
Hambone wrote:
As a techie person, I really like the way all electronics and electrics are tightly integrated by design.
I guess it’s my Luddite tendencies coming to the fore, but all that “integration” makes me a little nervous.

I don’t like being totally dependent on screens to get all my info. I suppose having two screens provides redundancy, if they’re totally independent of each other or can be made so.

Still, I’ve had enough issues with computers and electronics to be wary of “putting all my eggs in one - or two - baskets”. I like the redundancy of backup gauges for critical info.

But I will admit I’m probably a dying breed. I’m sure steam gauges will soon be in a pile with old floppy disks, and a new generation will marvel at how we once thought we needed them!
I think , if one is looking for redundancy, then having 2 Dynon ( or Garmin ) screens from the same manufacturer is not the best idea. The concept of having independent backup is still valid - just in this case instead of having an electric gauge , I would simply get something like Dynon D10 or AvMap Ultra as the backup device. The goal here is to have another piece of equipment that is running different software , written by a different team. If you have 2 Dynon screens and happen "to uncover" a bug in their software that renders them useless - both will die at the same time since both are running the same software.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

My dread is landing a Podunk City, OK, switching the plane on and seeing a flashing question mark or a big red "X" on the Dynons or Garmin or whatever.

Probably unfounded, but being grounded in the boonies with a tech problem can be a real headache. Having a single gauge acting up, not so much.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

I still have the legacy Dynon glass (D-100 & D-120) but my backup is my panel mount Aera 660. It's my navigation, it will display a 6 pack of instruments and it also has the 3D vision like the Skyview and it'll last for 3-4 hours on the battery if needed. Mind you I have no engine monitoring but if the big fan out front is turning I'm still flying. :mrgreen:

The only steam gauge I have is a backup airspeed indicator.

And yes Eddie, steam gauges will someday be in a pile next to the floppy disks, which are piled up next to the audio cassette. :mrgreen:
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Flying light sport in daytime VFR, if the engine will crank and run, most of us could take-off, fly home, and land without turning on any electronics or instrumentation.
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

FastEddieB wrote: I suppose having two screens provides redundancy, if they’re totally independent of each other or can be made so.
My new SportStar has dual Skyviews, dual ADAHRS, dual engine sensors, and dual back-up batteries. So I'm pretty confident I have sufficient redundancy. I'll admit, though, that this is an expensive solution.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I have most of that with my iPad Mini 4 running iFly GPS and a Stratux with GPS and AHRS module.
Retired from flying.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

TimTaylor wrote:Flying light sport in daytime VFR, if the engine will crank and run, most of us could take-off, fly home, and land without turning on any electronics or instrumentation.
Legally?

With nothing but a blank screen(s) in front of you, you would not have airspeed, altitude or magnetic direction. Nor any engine monitoring capability. I do believe such are required as minimum equipment in even Light Sport POH’s.

In an emergency, could one fly a plane so crippled to a successful landing? I think most experienced pilots could, as long as it remained VFR. But to take off in such a plane and “fly home” with zero instrumentation would show a lack of judgment. IMHO, of course.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I didn't say anything about legality. As part of my SkyCatcher checkout, we made touch and goes with no electronics or instruments.
Retired from flying.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

TimTaylor wrote:I didn't say anything about legality.
Not in so many words.

But my post concerned getting stuck in the boonies with bad glass.

Your response, “Flying light sport in daytime VFR, if the engine will crank and run, most of us could take-off, fly home, and land without turning on any electronics or instrumentation“ seemed to me to imply that one would not need to be stuck, since they could just fly home. I just wanted to point out the illegality of that option, not to mention it’s unwise to fly a plane with zero flight and engine monitoring instrumentation.

If I misread you, or you meant something else, my bad and you have my apologies.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I said "could," not "would." Why is everything here such a pain in the ass?
Last edited by TimTaylor on Wed May 02, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired from flying.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

TimTaylor wrote:Flying light sport in daytime VFR, if the engine will crank and run, most of us could take-off, fly home, and land without turning on any electronics or instrumentation.
Please ignore this post if it causes you concern. It says "could" not "would." As Eddie pointed out, it would be illegal to fly without required instruments. Every licensed pilot knows that, unless he has forgotten since getting his certificate.
Last edited by TimTaylor on Wed May 02, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Retired from flying.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

TimTaylor wrote:I said "could," not "would." Jesus Christ, why is everything here such a pain in the ass?
It is just a forum and people discussing things. Is it really worth getting so worked up about it ?
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois