AVweb Video on Vashon Ranger + Aviation Consumer Article

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

FastEddieB

Re: AVweb Video on Vashon Ranger + Aviation Consumer Article

Post by FastEddieB »

Warmi wrote:Yes , Paul B. basically suggested that, since most LSA are already flying 100 lbs or so over gross , this most likely will be “the solution” for the issue of very low useful load on this new plane.

Interesting.
I really hope the bolded part is not the case.

if he did say that, I think it’s irresponsible.

As a single data point, mine’s not.

It’s not wise to pick and choose which operating limitations you think are worth adhering to.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

FastEddieB wrote:
Warmi wrote:Yes , Paul B. basically suggested that, since most LSA are already flying 100 lbs or so over gross , this most likely will be “the solution” for the issue of very low useful load on this new plane.

Interesting.

It’s not wise to pick and choose which operating limitations you think are worth adhering to.
Eddie, I am in 100 percent agreement. If you're going to ignore the weight limits, you might as well ignore all the regulations and fly at night and IFR.
Retired from flying.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

FastEddieB wrote:

Interesting.

Well listen for yourself.

It is no secret that I am new at this , having been only flying for a year and with only 100 hours to my name but ... this is not the first time I hear experienced pilots freely admitting that just about everyone is flying over gross - in fact I was told by a 20 k hours airline pilot , who at the time was acting in an official faa sponsored role, that flying over gross is not a problem as long as you know how it affects the handling of the plane and plan accordingly.
It seems that there are regulations and there are common practices and quite often these two are not necessarily in agreement.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Warmi wrote: It seems that there are regulations and there are common practices and quite often these two are not necessarily in agreement.
I would be surprised if that's true. I hope it's a rare occurrence.
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Just remember that the last commercial Concorde flight (the one out of Paris that went up in flames and spelled the end of the SST era) took off over-gross, and with an out-of-limits aft CG.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Warmi wrote: It seems that there are regulations and there are common practices and quite often these two are not necessarily in agreement.
Or, it seems like there are regulations and there are relatively rare scofflaws that choose to disregard them.

One key to a long, safe, and violation-free flying career is to follow the rules. Most airline pilots have to, which is why their safety record is so exemplary.

Or don't. Thats why the FAA has an enforcement arm.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

TimTaylor wrote:
I would be surprised if that's true. I hope it's a rare occurrence.
I don’t know but it seems like it is not.
Obiously, I am not going to name names but starting with the very ferry pilot who brought my plane , another very experienced DPE and quite a few various other pilots ( after they got to know me ) , i keep hearing that , yeah , we shouldn’t be doing it but everyone is doing it anyway ...

It is not just that ... in just one year, I have seen people replace avionics on certified planes on their own ... do all sorts of maintenance that they are not certified to do ... and it is not that I was seeking out some kind of aviation underground ... just hanging out at my and other airports.

I am not really surprised all that much either ... if you end up creating a bottomless pit of costly regulations that are almost impossible to follow for anyone without a corporate budget - you frankly leave them no choice .. it is either that or stop flying.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

The SkyCatcher I fly holds 24 gallons or 144 pounds of fuel. When flying with my Mooney friend, we go with 3/4 tanks which puts us around 1310 gross. When flying alone, I go with full fuel. I would never fly with full fuel, my passenger, and 1346 gross. We usually fly an hour to lunch, replace the burned fuel, and fly an hour back home. I like to arrive back at the FBO with 1/2 tanks because that's where they keep it. I rarely fly with less than 1/2 fuel.
Last edited by TimTaylor on Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Warmi wrote: you frankly leave them no choice .. it is either that or stop flying.
Another choice is to simply follow the rules, and accept the resulting limitations. In the case of flying within gross weight limits, that might mean considering your plane essentially a one place aircraft. You may not like that, but it's the reality of the situation.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I would rather quit flying than fly unsafely. Maybe that explains why we had a fatal accident near here Saturday. I hope not, but it was an engine failure and attempted emergency landing on a highway.
Retired from flying.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

And btw. ... to the best of my knowledge , I have never flown in my plane over gross and I don’t plan to.

With my minimal experience , I am quite happy following every rule there is to make this new hobby safe for my wife and myself ..and , frankly, from a purely practical point of view, I don’t really need to - with the current setup we can comfortably fly for 3 hours ... with 2 hours being my endurance limit anyway.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Warmi wrote:And btw. ... to the best of my knowledge , I have never flown in my plane over gross and I don’t plan to.

With my minimal experience , I am quite happy following every rule there is to make this new hobby safe for my wife and myself ..and , frankly, from a purely practical point of view, I don’t really need to - with the current setup we can comfortably fly for 3 hours ... with 2 hours being my endurance limit anyway.
Hopefully, more experience will not make you more prone to violate any "rules." You have a license to follow the rules, not violate them. From a practical point of view, if you ever need to violate the rules, make a different plan.
Retired from flying.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

HAPPYDAN wrote:Knowing as little as I do about aircraft in general, I thought the Skycatcher was a fine airplane with many solid attributes. The best LSA? Maybe not. If Cessna could have sold it under $100,000, I think it would have done well, possibly even outselling their venerable 172. Maybe that was the real problem. Who knows. Anyway, it's feasible that a smaller company that specializes in this type of proven design may do well with it.
I think that sub-$100k target is very hard to hit. When the Skycatcher was announced and they started taking orders, IIRC it was something like $114k. By the time deliveries started the price had gone up to $157k. If Cessna can't hit that price point (or even come close), it's going to be even harder for the smaller "mom & pop" airplane companies. Part of the problem is that most people don't want to buy a new airplane and "settle" for basics...they want autopilots, EFIS, fuel injected engines, and all the bells and whistles.

You might be able to build and sell a basic airplane with basic instrumentation for $80k. But not with all the above extra gear. Just a 912iS engine is almost $24k.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

But in this particular case .... they offer 2 Dynon HDX screens - a more basic model with something like a single D180 would knock off about 10K off of the base price ...
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Warmi wrote:But in this particular case .... they offer 2 Dynon HDX screens - a more basic model with something like a single D180 would knock off about 10K off of the base price ...
The company is owned by Dynon, and HDX is their new baby...that ain't gonna happen! :)
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA