AVweb Video on Vashon Ranger + Aviation Consumer Article

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

TimTaylor

Re: AVweb Video on Vashon Ranger + Aviation Consumer Article

Post by TimTaylor »

Ignorance is bliss. LSA is a great option, but why the need to diss other aircraft? Another example of a narrow minded, prejudiced person.
Retired from flying.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Only rarely get to fly planes older than me (and dirt!), but a good excuse to post this flight from a few years ago:

https://youtu.be/oOrpEv0ZRtg
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

N676N.jpg
Retired from flying.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

TimTaylor wrote:Ignorance is bliss. LSA is a great option, but why the need to diss other aircraft? Another example of a narrow minded, prejudiced person.
How is that narrow minded or prejudiced ? ... I only wrote that I personally would never buy a plane like that - that's all ...
If you fancy older planes or Chicago style deep dish pizza or whatever ....who am I to argue ...and I won't.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Wasn't replying to you. However, it is possible to like more than one type of airplane or car or whatever. Most of us "older" pilots have an appreciation for anything that flies. It seems it's only the new, less experienced that think only a new LSA is worthy of them. They don't know what they don't know.
Last edited by TimTaylor on Wed May 09, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Retired from flying.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

FastEddieB wrote:Only rarely get to fly planes older than me (and dirt!), but a good excuse to post this flight from a few years ago:

https://youtu.be/oOrpEv0ZRtg

Oh ... Ercoupe is special .. that doesn't count as an old plane ...
I guess I just don't like only certain older planes :-)
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

TimTaylor wrote:Ignorance is bliss. LSA is a great option, but why the need to diss other aircraft? Another example of a narrow minded, prejudiced person.
Really, now we've reverted to name calling because I have a different opinion than you do? If it makes you feel better.......
hirschr

Post by hirschr »

I'm with you Warmi - Ercoupe's are special! That was a lot of fun FastEddie, we will have to get together again one of these days. FGU is closed for paving probably mid-June before the Ercoupe will see the light of day... The Mooney is a beauty Tim, too bad that didn't work out for you. I will say the Ranger would be the top of my list for a new LSA too, gotta love the option to camp IN your plane! I do think I'd stay under gross just to be on the safe side LOL... Anyone have friends who are mission pilots? Flying over gross in the mission field is quite common I understand. There is a mission outfit based on my home field - they like the C182 P model. They had one pilot who flatly refused to fly over gross, he remained in the states as an A&P and flight trainer, they had no use for a mission pilot who wouldn't fly over gross in the field.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

hirschr wrote:That was a lot of fun FastEddie, we will have to get together again one of these days. FGU is closed for paving probably mid-June before the Ercoupe will see the light of day...
If you need a flying fix, let me know! No charge to just go up and bore some holes in the sky.

We might even figure out a way to stay under gross!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

ShawnM wrote:
Really, now we've reverted to name calling because I have a different opinion than you do? If it makes you feel better.......
For dissing my friend's exceptional Mooney. I think the shoe fits. Nobody made negative comments about your little light sport airplane.
Retired from flying.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

TimTaylor wrote:
ShawnM wrote:
For dissing my friend's exceptional Mooney. I think the shoe fits. Nobody made negative comments about your little light sport airplane.
I wouldn't start name calling if someone didn't like my SportCruiser, many dont and I'm ok with that. I love it. I'd simply respect their opinion and move on. We are all allowed to have a opinion, right?

If pointing out a FACT that I was born in 1968 as well as that aircraft was made in 1968 is what you consider a dis then I suggest you look up the definition of dis. I in no way dissed the aircraft, merely pointing out a fact.

But since you want to revert to name calling because I have a different opinion that some old timer who seems bitter because he can't pass a medical and he's stuck flying LSA then maybe he needs to hang up his wings. He should count himself lucky he's still able to fly these wonderful LSA aircraft that many of us here on the LIGHT SPORT forum know and love.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Actually, I could pass a 2nd class medical. However, it would require jumping through some hoops that I just as soon avoid. Also, there would be some expensive test required on an annual basis. My friend's Mooney was (he sold it) a beautiful airplane. It was not a pig with lipstick. I love all aircraft. I'm not narrow minded or bigoted toward one type of aircraft or another.

Over the years, I've owned three standard certificated aircraft, each unique in it's own way. I almost bought a SkyCatcher last year, but got cold feet at the last minute and cancelled the deal. I plan to continue to rent for now until I either stop flying or purchase something. I'm on the fence.
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

OK, folks, everyone's had a chance to voice personal preferences. Now, let's drop it. This thread is about the Vashon. Any discussion about the plane is welcome. Anything else is not.

Remember that there are no bad aircraft - only some that may or may not meet your personal mission or preferences.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

TimTaylor wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:OK, then. I guess the rest of us who are Private, Commercial, or ATP with an instrument rating can fly at night and IFR if the plane is so equipped.
Yep, and no need to ignore the regulations. If it is allowed by the operating limitations and has the equipment all of what you mentioned is perfectly legal.
Not if you're flying with Sport Pilot privileges and no FAA medical or no Basic Med. Otherwise, why fool around with LSA? I definitely would not be flying LSA if I qualified for Basic Med. But thanks for chiming is, as usual. :roll:
Because many of the LSA can stand in their own right simply as a good airplane. Not everyone flying a LSA is flying under sport pilot privileges.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Of course not. But, obviously, my comment was about those who were. I think everyone here except you understand I was saying if people are going to ignore the LSA 1320 pound max gross weight, maybe they would also ignore the restriction on night flying and IFR. Only you didn't understand the point. ALL licensed pilots know they can fully exercise the privileges of their certificate if they have a current medical and are current and the airplane is certified for the activity.

Again, in case you still don't get it, some of us are trying to encourage others to follow all the regulations and not ignore the 1320 pound LSA weight limit.
Retired from flying.