AVweb Video on Vashon Ranger + Aviation Consumer Article

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: AVweb Video on Vashon Ranger + Aviation Consumer Article

Post by drseti »

Tim and Tom,
What part of "enough already" did you not understand?
;)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

It is too heavy for sure.
Even for your typical pattern work is not good enough if both , your CFI and the student, are at around 200 lbs.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Warmi wrote:It is too heavy for sure.
Even for your typical pattern work is not good enough if both , your CFI and the student, are at around 200 lbs.
Concur . . . but it's got a great panel though. 8)
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Wm.Ince wrote: The Vashon Ranger is just too heavy.
I would qualify that.

The Vashon Ranger is heavier than many would have hoped for a clean sheet design, and too heavy for some applications and some missions. But just fine for others.

Not all pilots weigh 200 lbs, nor need to carry a 200 lb passenger. But if they do, this is certainly not the plane for them.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Well, I am 6 feet and 210 lbs.

It is much easier for me to conclude that the plane is too heavy rather then contemplate other possible solutions ... :D
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

TimTaylor wrote:Of course not. But, obviously, my comment was about those who were. I think everyone here except you understand I was saying if people are going to ignore the LSA 1320 pound max gross weight, maybe they would also ignore the restriction on night flying and IFR. Only you didn't understand the point. ALL licensed pilots know they can fully exercise the privileges of their certificate if they have a current medical and are current and the airplane is certified for the activity.

Again, in case you still don't get it, some of us are trying to encourage others to follow all the regulations and not ignore the 1320 pound LSA weight limit.
I have never suggested or encouraged to anyone to not follow the regulations, actually quite the opposite. A pilot should first and foremost follow the privileges and limitations of their pilot certificate and medical status. Flying any aircraft at night or IFR under sport pilot privileges would not be legal.

Flying a LSA over gross is illegal for any pilot regardless of pilot certificate or medical status. However flying at night or IFR in a LSA is not illegal if you have the proper pilot certificates and medical status. (SLSA built after 2010 are prohibited from flying in IMC) Your statement tries to push restrictions of those flying under sport pilot privileges onto the airplane where they do not belong.

Like I said many LSA aircraft are fine aircraft in their own right. They have capabilities that go way beyond the limits of a sport pilot certificate or privileges.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:Tim and Tom,
What part of "enough already" did you not understand?
;)
Oops! If I said anything that was out of line feel free to remove the content.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

If I ever purchase A Vashon Ranger, or any other LSA aircraft, I will NOT fly it over the maximum allowable gross weight. Even if it is certified at a higher weight in another country, I am flying in the US and subject to US rules and regulations. I will also not fly it at night or in IFR conditions and will not intentionally violate any other rules or regulations. Flying as a Commercial pilot without a current FAA medical certificate or Basic Med, I am flying with Sport PIlot privileges and limitations. I encourage others to follow suit and take the maximum gross weight limits (and other rules and regulations) seriously.

The Vashon Ranger is a very interesting airplane. I would definitely opt for the Basic model if I were to purchase one. I wish it was 100 pounds lighter as currently configured.
Retired from flying.
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

The 75 pounds useful load gained (among many other advantages) by replacing the Ranger's antiquated powerplant with an efficient, modern fuel-injected aircraft engine seems like a no-brainer to me!
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

TimTaylor wrote:If I ever purchase A Vashon Ranger, or any other LSA aircraft, I will NOT fly it over the maximum allowable gross weight. Even if it is certified at a higher weight in another country, I am flying in the US and subject to US rules and regulations. I will also not fly it at night or in IFR conditions and will not intentionally violate any other rules or regulations. Flying as a Commercial pilot without a current FAA medical certificate or Basic Med, I am flying with Sport PIlot privileges and limitations. I encourage others to follow suit and take the maximum gross weight limits (and other rules and regulations) seriously.

The Vashon Ranger is a very interesting airplane. I would definitely opt for the Basic model if I were to purchase one. I wish it was 100 pounds lighter as currently configured.
I would not expect otherwise. I would never suggest anyone do so. Myself I am a commercial pilot with a current second class medical. Because of that I can fly my LSA legally at night.
zodiac flyer

Post by zodiac flyer »

I find the Vashon Ranger a very appealing aircraft. I like the fact that it has a non water-cooled, non reduction drive power plant, all metal airframe.
Call me old fashioned, but I like the "keep it simple stupid" KISS.
I own a factory built AMD/Zenith 601XLB in Florida, Continental 0-200 powered and would appreciate the high wing to fly in a cooler cabin, easier entry access, excellent avionics package. The $99,500 version would suit my flying. I would be very interested to see if they hold the price, or if they do the Cessna price dance.
If they deliver on their promises, I am a potential buyer.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Hambone wrote:The 75 pounds useful load gained (among many other advantages) by replacing the Ranger's antiquated powerplant with an efficient, modern fuel-injected aircraft engine seems like a no-brainer to me!
I agree, but many "geezers" (video's term, not mine!) Have no tolerance for anything that doesn't say Continental or Lycoming on the rocker covers. It's puzzling as hell considering the history of other options.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
RTK

Post by RTK »

Pity that the engine choice couldn't be an option... thus letting people order whichever strikes their fancy (or mission) better.

I do like the concept of the Vashon Ranger, and I see the potential for good utility as a trainer or as a "fly into Oshkosh and camp in the plane" aircraft. If I didn't already have a LSA, I'd give it strong consideration if the Rotax were an option to increase useful load.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Tail dragger option would be nice too. They bill it as an adventure airplane with a weak Van's style nosewheel.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

zodiac flyer wrote: Call me old fashioned, but I like the "keep it simple stupid" KISS.
Call me old fashioned, but when I heard them extolling the level of “integration”, it made it sound quite complex to me.

Driving today, I had a thought: someone could buy a Ranger, take it Experimental LSA, sell the Continental for good money and buy one’s ROTAX of choice and hang it on the front. Voilá! Problem solved! Were it truly a KISS aircraft, it would be relative straightforward. But then I remembered the level of “integration” in the instruments and electronics and airframe, and suddenly it sounds like a Herculean task.

But still a fun thought exercise!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]