Sling 2 build / Midwest Sky Sports

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

cam737

Re: Sling 2 build / Midwest Sky Sports

Post by cam737 »

A little pattern work and presto!
IMG_5983.jpeg
IMG_5983.jpeg (115.22 KiB) Viewed 12716 times
Attachments
IMG_6005.jpg
IMG_6005.jpg (71.51 KiB) Viewed 12716 times
cam737
Sling 2 Build
[email protected]

swa
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

Congratulations, cam. You look way too happy in that bottom photo, but that's clearly understandable given all the sweat equity you have in your magnificent machine.
:D
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
drseti

Post by drseti »

The longest journey begins with a single check.
Ancient Chinese proverb
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Congratulations Cam!
Well done. :D
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
cam737

Post by cam737 »

Thanks Scooper! Dr...you mean there will be MORE checks to write? (Like the $748 to Garmin today for database for one year...worth every penny BTW) Thanks Bill!

No flying today. Really bad weather. 25-35 knot winds, rains, thunderstorms, tornado warning, lots of lightning, etc...

However, we did the 25 hour Rotax oil change for new engines. Henry gave me and another Sling builder a lesson on how to change the oil on the Rotax. I learned so much! Like...I AM NEVER GOING TO DO MY OWN OIL CHANGE. Removing and replacing the Sling bottom cowling is a PITA. Safety wiring is a PITA. Getting old oil on my pasty white skin is a PITA. No, a man has to know his limitations...I discovered another one of mine today. (Note: I am not mechanically inclined to begin with.) Of course, Henry made it look and sound "so easy" as he did it. (I repeat, Midwest Sky Sports is the best)

So, turning lemons into lemonade, I set up my flyGarmin account, downloaded the flyGarmin app to my mac, went to the flyGarmin website, downloaded the IFR US/Bahamas/Canada databases for the G3X Touch and GTN625. Loaded the data onto 2 SD cards, moved the Sling 2 out of the hanger to the ramp to make sure we had GPS sat connection, dropped the SD cards in the GTN and G3, and loaded the data to the GTN625, and both G3X Touch. Garmin is the best! I did call Garmin customer service for a bit of help and they were 100% great...I did not have to press 1 for English, or talk to a computer, I talked to a knowledgeable person right away...refreshing.

Hopefully, lots of flying in the next 3 days to complete the last 15 of 40 hours fly-off required to take my bird home.
cam737
Sling 2 Build
[email protected]

swa
drseti

Post by drseti »

cam737 wrote:Dr...you mean there will be MORE checks to write? (Like the $748 to Garmin today for database for one year...worth every penny BTW)
Boy, databases have sure gotten expensive! When I had my Garmin 430W around 15 years ago, the subscription ran $360 a year. Less than $1 a day seemed eminently reasonable. But I guess everything else has doubled in the past 15 years, so maybe that's fair.

I'm sure glad I took advantage of the Seattle Avionics lifetime database subscription offer a few years back. (It was a Black Friday doorbuster special.) It's already paid for itself.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

cam737 wrote:....However, we did the 25 hour Rotax oil change for new engines. Henry gave me and another Sling builder a lesson on how to change the oil on the Rotax. I learned so much! Like...I AM NEVER GOING TO DO MY OWN OIL CHANGE. Removing and replacing the Sling bottom cowling is a PITA. Safety wiring is a PITA. Getting old oil on my pasty white skin is a PITA. No, a man has to know his limitations...I discovered another one of mine today. (Note: I am not mechanically inclined to begin with.) Of course, Henry made it look and sound "so easy" as he did it. (I repeat, Midwest Sky Sports is the best)
They have quick drain valves for the Rotax oil tank. I was pleasantly surprised to see one on mine the first time I went to change the oil. Of course getting the oil tank off when you have to clean the tank(every 100 hours if using AVgas) is another story.
drseti

Post by drseti »

rcpilot wrote: They have quick drain valves for the Rotax oil tank.
True. Rotax neither sells nor specifically authorizes them. Of course, in an experimental, they're perfectly legal. And some SLSA manufacturers install them, or may issue an LoA for you to install one, which is also perfectly legal. But, if the spring fails and you lose all oil, the engine is going to seize. Could that maybe be why Rotax doesn't install them at the factory?
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

drseti wrote:True. Rotax neither sells nor specifically authorizes them. Of course, in an experimental, they're perfectly legal. And some SLSA manufacturers install them, or may issue an LoA for you to install one, which is also perfectly legal. But, if the spring fails and you lose all oil, the engine is going to seize. Could that maybe be why Rotax doesn't install them at the factory?
There was a quick drain on my S-LSA SportCruiser when I bought it from the previous owner, albeit illegally. It's the greatest thing since sliced bread when it comes time for an oil change. Slip on the drain hose and push and turn. Mine started a slow drip a few years ago and I ordered the rebuild o-ring kit from SAF-AIR to rebuild it. Good as new after that. I'm E-LSA now anyway.

But as Paul pointed out, I do always wonder about the spring and if it'll ever let go. To put my mind at ease I placed a rubber cap snuggly over the bottom of the drain valve and secure it with a wire tie. At least if the spring lets go I'll only maybe have a small drip and not a gusher and a seized engine. A very simple fix and oil changes are still a breeze. If the spring ever does break I'll see the drip, if any, on my next preflight when the cowling comes off. This helps me sleep at night. :mrgreen:
drseti

Post by drseti »

ShawnM wrote:To put my mind at ease I placed a rubber cap snuggly over the bottom of the drain valve and secure it with a wire tie. At least if the spring lets go I'll only maybe have a small drip and not a gusher and a seized engine. A very simple fix and oil changes are still a breeze.
What a great solution for an ELSA or E-AB , Shawn. Thanks for sharing it.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

drseti wrote:
ShawnM wrote:To put my mind at ease I placed a rubber cap snuggly over the bottom of the drain valve and secure it with a wire tie. At least if the spring lets go I'll only maybe have a small drip and not a gusher and a seized engine. A very simple fix and oil changes are still a breeze.
What a great solution for an ELSA or E-AB , Shawn. Thanks for sharing it.
Yup, you can buy the rubber caps at Lowe's on the "aviation isle". A 3 pack was less than a dollar. :D
cam737

Post by cam737 »

ANOTHER great day at Midwest Sky Sports! Windy, gusty, rain, snow, marginal VFR, cold as crap, etc... SO, let's go fly! 3 flights and 3 more hours bringing the aircraft time to 28 hours of the 40 needed for FAA required fly off within 25 nm of KCFS. BTW, that is not a problem...many airports within 25, beautiful farm country with lovely windmills (sarcasm on windmills)...not to mention Lake Huron coast.

(IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTE: I am a 17,000 hour pilot (not Chuck Yeager), current airline pilot, former usaf f15 pilot, former 200 hour 152/172 pilot, blah, blah, blah...I say that because I don't want to encourage a 60 hour pilot to fly a 100 hp airplane in 42 knot winds/low ceilings/x-wind, etc)

Anyway, 3 flights today at KCFS. High winds, low ceilings...lowest about 1200 broken...highly variable ceiling...I just stayed 500 below the bottoms in the pattern. My first flight was 1.4 hours and it was continuous light turbulence, and lots of occasional moderate turbulence. Bottom line? The Sling 2 handled it NO PROBLEM. Sure it was bumpy, but when you get down to the flare you feel the amazing ground effect, things (like the x-wind) calm down and it works out great for a good landing every time...HOWEVER, I had to really learn to use those silly rudder pedals again. On final, I say to myself "OK, Happy Feet ", tap the pedals to get warmed up, and remember the stick is the liner-up-on-the-centerline-thingy, and the pedals are the point-it-straight-down-the-runway-at-touchdown-thingys. And do not forget, with a steerable nose wheel, you do not want the nose wheel touching down first (..ummm..ANY TIME) or at the' same-time-as-the-mains' at the initial touchdown in a crosswind...because your crosswind rudder input is replicated in the nose wheel... So, you might make the perfect crosswind corrected landing, but, with an insufficient flare or somehow getting the nose wheel on the ground simultaneously with the mains, you will kind of veer opposite of the crosswind direction...If you do...no biggie...Sling is tough. Anyway, my point is that THIS AIRPLANE IS COMPLETELY AWESOME...EVEN IN LOUSY NASTY BUMPY WEATHER. It is really so easy to fly and SO SAFE. It is a real stick and rudder airplane. JUST SUPERB.
patten altitude
patten altitude
IMG_5999.jpg (110.84 KiB) Viewed 12584 times
ehhhh
ehhhh
IMG_6102.jpg (88.32 KiB) Viewed 12584 times
cam737
Sling 2 Build
[email protected]

swa
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Some of the worse light aircraft pilots I ever flew with were military and/or airline. Some of the best were relatively low time new Private pilots. Also, we need more windmills.
Retired from flying.
cam737

Post by cam737 »

32.0 hours now. Should finish the fly off tomorrow or Monday. Great day of snowy runways, high x-winds, max performance climb to 12,000, RNAV approaches, ...just an amazing bird.
IMG_6125.jpg
IMG_6125.jpg (87.17 KiB) Viewed 12517 times
IMG_6166.jpg
IMG_6166.jpg (159.79 KiB) Viewed 12517 times
cam737
Sling 2 Build
[email protected]

swa
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Great little airplane, Cam.
Sounds like you are already having a blast flying it.
Can’t wait to see it in person. Any plans to put it on display at the Sling Sun n’ Fun event?

Congratulations on your new ride. :D
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator