New (to me) RV-12

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

hook_dupin

New (to me) RV-12

Post by hook_dupin »

I've been a flight instructor as my side-hustle for some years now.

After a bunch of research (and numerous calls to Helen at Chesapeake Sport Pilot), I decided to take the plunge on a used S-LSA RV-12 to use as a trainer. My wife and I did the Carpenter's long course a few months ago as a "nerd vacation."

I really see more private pilot students than sport pilot students, but there is a Sport DPE in my area who seems like he's under worked.

This pretty girl will be ferried home to the Florida Gulf Coast on the April 14th weekend.

I'm pretty excited to have maintenance control over the aircraft I'm teaching in, as I haven't always been a fan of the maintenance at places I've taught.
IMG_1264.JPG
IMG_1264.JPG (52.29 KiB) Viewed 5969 times
IMG_1258.JPG
IMG_1258.JPG (45.97 KiB) Viewed 5969 times
IMG_1257.JPG
IMG_1257.JPG (49.93 KiB) Viewed 5969 times
Wm.Ince

Re: New (to me) RV-12

Post by Wm.Ince »

Congratulations!
That's a pretty little airplane.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
RTK

Post by RTK »

Congratulations! Beautiful! And you can’t go wrong with Vans aircraft!
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

If I had the money to spend, that would be my first choice.
Retired from flying.
cam737

Post by cam737 »

Beautiful! Love the paint. Congrats!!
cam737
Sling 2 Build
[email protected]

swa
RV-12builder

Post by RV-12builder »

Congratulations! Nice paint and interior colors.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

She's a beauty for sure, congrats.
WDD

Post by WDD »

[quote="hook_dupin"]

Congrats! Quick question - what is the "Carpenter's Long Course"?
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

WDD wrote:
hook_dupin wrote:
That would be the 120 hour course for Light Sport Repairman with maintenance rating.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?S ... 7&rgn=div8

It allows you to perform maintenance and conditions on aircraft with an airworthiness certificate in the light sport category or with an experimental certificate for operation of a light sport aircraft.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

3Dreaming wrote:
WDD wrote:
hook_dupin wrote:
That would be the 120 hour course for Light Sport Repairman with maintenance rating.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?S ... 7&rgn=div8

It allows you to perform maintenance and conditions on aircraft with an airworthiness certificate in the light sport category or with an experimental certificate for operation of a light sport aircraft.
Not once have I ever heard anyone refer to it that way, now if he would have said he took the Light Sport Repairman Maintenance course then I would have understood. Maybe they do things different up north. :mrgreen:

I am aware that the instructors last name is Carpenter.
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote:
Close, Tom. (Added italics are mine.) The LSRM allows one to do condition inspections on an SLSA or ELSA. For an E-AB, even if it meets the LSA definition, the LSRM cannot do the condition inspection. That can only be done by an A&P (no IA required), or an original builder who got a repairman's certificate.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

To further confuse things, I think the “short“ course is not actually a “maintenance” course at all but an “inspection” course.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

The first 12 (I think) RV-12 SLSA’s had Van Grunsven’s “signature” on the fuselage. A guy in SC has another early one, same color, with the signature.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
Close, Tom. (Added italics are mine.) The LSRM allows one to do condition inspections on an SLSA or ELSA. For an E-AB, even if it meets the LSA definition, the LSRM cannot do the condition inspection. That can only be done by an A&P (no IA required), or an original builder who got a repairman's certificate.
Paul, I didn't say a LSRM could do a condition inspection on a EAB. I said they could do it on a aircraft with an experimental certificate for operation of a light sport aircraft. That in fact is a ELSA. See CFR21.191 (i), (2).
drseti

Post by drseti »

I didn't disagree with what you said, Tom. I was just clarifying and elaborating for those here who might not know the FARs as well as you do.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US