Who can fly an ELSA owned by a club?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

WDD

Who can fly an ELSA owned by a club?

Post by WDD »

Bit of a puzzle.

A local club I'm joining is mentoring high school kids building an RV12. The club has decided to buy the plane / keep it. As an ELSA, it can't be rented. But then who is allowed to fly it? As a member of the club, would the FAA allow me to fly it and pay the club dues as well as something per hour, or would they consider that to be "renting"?

Of course, after sorting out that question, how it would be insured is the next puzzle. One thing at a time though.
HAPPYDAN

Re: Who can fly an ELSA owned by a club?

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Many EAA chapters have already worked through these issues successfully. It has something to do with the "not for profit" status. The chapter I just joined is considering the RV-12 build with local high school students, then utilize CFI members to train the wannabees. I too will be interested in the response.