Can a designation be changed

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

3Dreaming

Re: Can a designation be changed

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
3Dreaming wrote: I'm not sure what you mean by, "insurance would be prohibited".
I imagine he meant to say "prohibitive."
the two I am familiar with are insured just like any other aircraft, with comparable rates.
smutny

Post by smutny »

If you found the right FSDO willing to work with you, you might be able to achieve what you want with the 150.

However, regardless of what was done in the past, in 2018 you'll be hard pressed to find a FSDO to move a Type Certifed airplane into Experimental-Exhibition. Experimental-Restricted, maybe. Experimental-Flight Test, perhaps. But then you lose any functionality you're looking for and eventually the airplane will need to be moved back to its Type Certificated condition.

Basically, it would be a whole lot easier and cheaper to just love the 150 from afar and get a proper LSA aircraft to fly.
John Smutny
LSRM - A/WS/PPC/Glider
iRMT
Normandy Aircraft @ S50
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

3Dreaming wrote:
Sling 2 Pilot wrote:As an absolute last resort, he can go "EE" Experimental Exhibition. However, doing so would limit its use and insurance would be prohibited. In the end, you will have your cake, but it is gonna be hard to digest...LOL
Current Experimental Exhibition rules do limit the aircrafts use somewhat. Older Experimental Exhibition operating limitations are more in line with EAB aircraft.

I'm not sure what you mean by, "insurance would be prohibited". I personally know of 2 airplanes with Experimental Exhibition airworthiness certificates that are fully insured.
Oh, You will get insurance for it, but you will pay thru the nose...in most cases
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

drseti wrote:
3Dreaming wrote: I'm not sure what you mean by, "insurance would be prohibited".
I imagine he meant to say "prohibitive."
Yes...
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
Sling 2 Pilot wrote:As an absolute last resort, he can go "EE" Experimental Exhibition. However, doing so would limit its use and insurance would be prohibited. In the end, you will have your cake, but it is gonna be hard to digest...LOL
Current Experimental Exhibition rules do limit the aircrafts use somewhat. Older Experimental Exhibition operating limitations are more in line with EAB aircraft.

I'm not sure what you mean by, "insurance would be prohibited". I personally know of 2 airplanes with Experimental Exhibition airworthiness certificates that are fully insured.
Oh, You will get insurance for it, but you will pay thru the nose...in most cases
Again, not my experience. The two aircraft I am familiar with are a clipped wing Taylorcraft, and a K-8 glider. Their insurance rates are inline with other similar aircraft in the standard category. It may have more to do with the aircraft than the airworthiness certificate. Anymore most aircraft with experimental exhibition category airworthiness certificates are more exotic than the two I know of.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

3Dreaming wrote:

It still would not be flyable by a Sport Pilot though, since it lived part of its life above 1320lb.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
drseti

Post by drseti »

MrMorden wrote: It still would not be flyable by a Sport Pilot though, since it lived part of its life above 1320lb.
Not only that; there's the matter of stall speed. A 150 may indicate a stall speed below 45 kts clean, but the LSA rule limit is based upon calibrated stall speed.

Folks are always looking for a way to work around the SP and LSA rules. That's why FAA is reluctant to modify or improve them. In my experience, you're better off just working within them.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

MrMorden wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:

It still would not be flyable by a Sport Pilot though, since it lived part of its life above 1320lb.
Agreed, and I never said anything to the contrary. I was just speaking to operating limitations and insurance based on my experience.

Now the experimental amateur built Cessna replica I posted about can be flown by a sport pilot.
ScottyB

Post by ScottyB »

Here is where I'm going with this on YouTube there is a factory built pitts special that they rebuilt and made it available for light sport Pilots
Look it up on YouTube it's called Little Rascal
smutny

Post by smutny »

The "Lil Rascal" is a sham. Doc Bailey is a snake oil salesman and leaves a path of broken promises and lies in his wake. His claims of converting existing Pitts and RV-4's to LSA aircraft are simply not possible, they do not meet the letter of the law as put forth in the FAR's.
John Smutny
LSRM - A/WS/PPC/Glider
iRMT
Normandy Aircraft @ S50