Sirius TL-3000

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

FlyingBliss

Sirius TL-3000

Post by FlyingBliss »

I'm a student pilot working toward my SP certificate and I'm starting to take a look at some of the LSA options that I may consider for purchase later this year. Clearly I'll need to spend a fair amount of time on demo flights before I can have an inclination as to which plane I truly enjoy flying, but, the more I read about the Sirius TL-3000 the more I really like this plane. I've read a number of articles about the TL-3000 (AOPA, Plane & Pilot, Aerospace Tech, etc.) and I can't seem to find any downside to this plane. I love the high-wing, decent empty weight for its size, rotax 912is (option for 914), toe brakes (trained on C172), yolk, ailerons/flaps/elevator, 116 knot cruise, their US distributor, SportairUSA, seems to have a good reputation, etc. Does anyone on this forum have experience flying the TL-3000? I'd love to hear your feedback. What are some of the challenges associated with this plane? I'm just looking for a balanced view, as there must be some cons to go along with all of the pros that I've read about this plane.

This is my first post on Sport Pilot Talk and I look forward to getting to know everyone.
Private Pilot looking for a flying machine to call my own
drseti

Re: Sirius TL-3000

Post by drseti »

FlyingBliss wrote: This is my first post on Sport Pilot Talk and I look forward to getting to know everyone.
Welcome aboard! There's a great bunch of folks here who are looking forward to getting to know you as well.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

FlyingBliss wrote:I'm a student pilot working toward my SP certificate and I'm starting to take a look at some of the LSA options that I may consider for purchase later this year. Clearly I'll need to spend a fair amount of time on demo flights before I can have an inclination as to which plane I truly enjoy flying, but, the more I read about the Sirius TL-3000 the more I really like this plane. I've read a number of articles about the TL-3000 (AOPA, Plane & Pilot, Aerospace Tech, etc.) and I can't seem to find any downside to this plane. I love the high-wing, decent empty weight for its size, rotax 912is (option for 914), toe brakes (trained on C172), yolk, ailerons/flaps/elevator, 116 knot cruise, their US distributor, SportairUSA, seems to have a good reputation, etc. Does anyone on this forum have experience flying the TL-3000? I'd love to hear your feedback. What are some of the challenges associated with this plane? I'm just looking for a balanced view, as there must be some cons to go along with all of the pros that I've read about this plane.

This is my first post on Sport Pilot Talk and I look forward to getting to know everyone.
Welcome.

I flew it once and it is a nice plane, cockpit interior and general feel very similar to the Sting - not surprisingly , since it is the same company.
Ultimately I bought the Sting since I love the open canopy feeling but if you a high wing type of guy and like Cessna style cockpit then the Sirius will fit the bill perfectly. It won’t fly quite like a Cessna though since it is a light sport - you gonna have to do a lot more “hand flying” but if you like to fly then the more the better :D

Ps. There is an almost new Sirius (100 hours ) for sale at https://www.barnstormers.com/classified ... 3X+AP.html
Fully equipped with the latest avionics, Grs and pretty much every option for 110k. That’s a good deal considering that a new Sirius , CTLS or a Tecnam starts around 170k or so.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
FlyingBliss

Post by FlyingBliss »

Welcome.

I flew it once and it is a nice plane, cockpit interior and general feel very similar to the Sting - not surprisingly , since it is the same company.
Ultimately I bought the Sting since I love the open canopy feeling but if you a high wing type of guy and like Cessna style cockpit then the Sirius will fit the bill perfectly. It won’t fly quite like a Cessna though since it is a light sport - you gonna have to do a lot more “hand flying” but if you like to fly then the more the better :D

Ps. There is an almost new Sirius (100 hours ) for sale at https://www.barnstormers.com/classified ... 3X+AP.html
Fully equipped with the latest avionics, Grs and pretty much every option for 110k. That’s a good deal considering that a new Sirius , CTLS or a Tecnam starts around 170k or so.
Thanks Warmi, this is great info! And talk about interesting coincidence; that Sirius for sale is located only 1 hour south of me. I’ll definitely check it out. And I’m definitely a fan of high-wing aircraft, but, I may love low-wing just as much. I haven’t had a chance to fly a low-wing plane yet, but, I look forward to trying the Sting, Sling and maybe even the Astore. Thanks again and have a great day!
Private Pilot looking for a flying machine to call my own
Paul_G

Post by Paul_G »

I'm the proud owner of a 2016 Sirius TL-3000 and I couldn't be happier. I'm also a student pilot now ready for my checkride next month. I purchased the airplane in September from Light Sport USA in Sisters, Oregon http://www.lightsportusa.com - it was their demo airplane and had only 50 hours. I now have 110 hours - I would have more, but the weather has not cooperated this winter. The dealer has been fantastic and I would highly recommend him.

My instructor had some reservations because he was unfamiliar with the TL (I trained in his Cessna 172), but he is now a big fan. He loves the way it handles and loves flying it. I have nothing negative to report - the quality is perfect.

Hope you buy one! We need more flying the skies in the U.S.
Paul G
N400TL 2016 Sirius TL-3000
Chelan, WA (S10)
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

Paul does bring up an interesting point. Check with your instructor about it! I have flow with several owners who were refused by other schools because it was Experimental or LSA or Rotax...

Of course that just means more variety for me :D
WDD

Post by WDD »

Admire your enthusiasm.

Maybe finish getting your license, and then go demo fly several different LSA's. Your tastes and requirements might come into sharper focus with that under your belt. The TL 3000 looks to be an amazing airplane no doubt, and if that is still the best plane for you after you get your ticket, then all is good.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Welcome FlyingBliss, this is a great forum with lots of great people and information.

I am of a different belief, if you know you want and are going to buy a TL then buy it now and train in your own aircraft. I did this and couldn't be happier. One, you'll save a bunch of money upfront not having to rent an aircraft (only the instructor) and two, you'll be very proficient and familiar with your own plane when you are ready for the checkride. This will save you more time and money later so you dont have to get transition training after you get your SP rating into the plane you buy.

I completed my training AND my checkride in my own plane, passed with flying colors and was flying the next day in my very own plane. No transition training after I had my license or down time while I searched for a plane and someone to do the transition training.

Others posted and are correct that not all flight schools will train you in your own plane, find an independant instructor like I did. They are everywhere if you look. Go to http://www.nafinet.org and search for an independent sport pilot instructor or other website that lists instructors in your area.

Of course everyone has their own opinion and this is just mine but I really enjoyed training in my own plane.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

That's a good idea as long as you have enough hours that you KNOW you really enjoy flying and it's something you want to pursue and spend lots of money on. There are some who give it a try and decide it's not for them.
Retired from flying.
Type47

Post by Type47 »

I bought a 2001 Buick LeSabre once. Drove it for a year, sold it and bought a Honda Cr-v.
Type47
LSRI
INTJ
2006 Tecnam P92 Echo Super
Don’t do the thing that almost killed you until you at least get the staples taken out of your head first….
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Type47 wrote:I bought a 2001 Buick LeSabre once. Drove it for a year, sold it and bought a Honda Cr-v.
Regarding your handle number "47" . . . helicopter or airplane? :D
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Type47

Post by Type47 »

Type 47 is the design number for the Porsche 914. I have a 1973 porsche 914 (VW type 47) and a 1966 Beetle (VW type 1).
I am a retired foreign car mechanic.
Sorry for the hijack.
And the smart ass comment.
Type47
LSRI
INTJ
2006 Tecnam P92 Echo Super
Don’t do the thing that almost killed you until you at least get the staples taken out of your head first….
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Thank you.
Retired from flying.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Type47 wrote:Type 47 is the design number for the Porsche 914. I have a 1973 porsche 914 (VW type 47) and a 1966 Beetle (VW type 1).
I am a retired foreign car mechanic.
Sorry for the hijack.
And the smart ass comment.
No problem. And no offense here.
I thought perhaps you were a Bell 47 driver . . . or maybe a B-747 pilot. :D
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

Nothing better than training in your own aircraft!

If your new to aviation its likely going to take time to figure out how you will use the airplane. Many beginning pilots start off thinking they will stay local but end up wanting an aircraft capable of going across the country. Give yourself a few flights to see if its for you and if you want to continue I'm of the thinking to buy the most aircraft that fits your budget. Its a lot less expensive to get the right airplane the first time.

I've been selling Tecnams for nearly ten years now and see a lot of buyers who pick an airplane on the internet. I think this is a mistake. Airplanes are very different in build quality and capability/flight characteristics and support. It is very different from buying a car where a Ford/Toyota/chev etc are all basically the same build quality and you can run down to your local dealer and get parts. Even in the last 10 years I have seen a lot of small companies come and go. Buying from a small company that goes out of business is going to make it difficult to find parts and resale will plummet. Some aircraft hold there value and some don't. There is a reason for that.

Airplanes are a big investment. I strongly suggest taking the time to travel around the country and get a good demo flight in several aircraft before you make a decision!

Mark