Sirius TL-3000

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Wm.Ince

Re: Sirius TL-3000

Post by Wm.Ince »

Mark Gregor wrote:Nothing better than training in your own aircraft!

If your new to aviation its likely going to take time to figure out how you will use the airplane. Many beginning pilots start off thinking they will stay local but end up wanting an aircraft capable of going across the country. Give yourself a few flights to see if its for you and if you want to continue I'm of the thinking to buy the most aircraft that fits your budget. Its a lot less expensive to get the right airplane the first time.

I've been selling Tecnams for nearly ten years now and see a lot of buyers who pick an airplane on the internet. I think this is a mistake. Airplanes are very different in build quality and capability/flight characteristics and support. It is very different from buying a car where a Ford/Toyota/chev etc are all basically the same build quality and you can run down to your local dealer and get parts. Even in the last 10 years I have seen a lot of small companies come and go. Buying from a small company that goes out of business is going to make it difficult to find parts and resale will plummet. Some aircraft hold there value and some don't. There is a reason for that.

Airplanes are a big investment. I strongly suggest taking the time to travel around the country and get a good demo flight in several aircraft before you make a decision!
I find that very good advice.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
FlyingBliss

Post by FlyingBliss »

Wm.Ince wrote:
Mark Gregor wrote:Airplanes are very different in build quality and capability/flight characteristics and supp a Airplanes are a big investment. I strongly suggest taking the time to travel around the country and get a good demo flight in several aircraft before you make a decision!
I find that very good advice.
Mark,

I agree, that is absolutely great advice, and advice that I will certainly follow. I’ve got 10 hours of flight training under my belt so far and I’ve definelty been bitten by the flying bug. My wife and I live in New Hampshire and plan to fly in the New England area in the summer, and, longer x-country missions in the colder season (Carolinas, Georgia, Florida). By the way, based on everything I’ve read about the P2008 it seems like an amazing aircraft. I will attend the Midwest LSA Expo in Sept to check out all of the planes, and I also plan on doing a demo flight tour in the fall, but, based on everything I’ve read so far the Tecnam P2008 seems like it certainly could fit our missions. Based on your experience selling Tecnam aircraft, is it possible to get the empty weight of the P2008 down into the low 800s (800-820 Range)? I would probably go with the Rotax 912-S, parachute (wife), ADS-B in-and-out, and, everything else would be negotiable depending on weight. I’m fine with analog gauges (6 pack). Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
Private Pilot looking for a flying machine to call my own
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

FlyingBliss wrote:. . . . . "I’m fine with analog gauges (6 pack). Let me know your thoughts."
The Cadillac's of LSA are Bristell and Tecnam P2008. The problem with both is weight, assuming they are equipped with a BRS parachute.
I think both are fine aircraft.

On instrumentation . . . go glass!
The Dynon Skyview can be configured to display a "six pack," if that is your display preference. Two button pushes puts it in the six pack mode.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

If I had the money for a new airplane and a hanger, I would probably go with the Tecnam.
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Wm.Ince wrote: On instrumentation . . . go glass!
The Dynon Skyview can be configured to display a "six pack," if that is your display preference. Two button pushes puts it in the six pack mode.
I concur that glass is the way to go, and for me, Skyview leads the pack. Two full large Dynon panels with autopilot, comm, GPS, transponder, dual ADAHARS, full ADS-B in and out, and dual backup batteries weigh a fraction of what six round gauges do. You can easily select between six-pack and EFIS displays, with or without synthetic vision.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FlyingBliss

Post by FlyingBliss »

drseti wrote: I concur that glass is the way to go, and for me, Skyview leads the pack. Two full large Dynon panels with autopilot, comm, GPS, transponder, dual ADAHARS, full ADS-B in and out, and dual backup batteries weigh a fraction of what six round gauges do. You can easily select between six-pack and EFIS displays, with or without synthetic vision.
Thanks for the info! This is really helpful. I was under the impression that glass weighed more than round gauges. I would definitely prefer glass, so, this works out well.
Private Pilot looking for a flying machine to call my own
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

FlyingBliss wrote:
drseti wrote: I concur that glass is the way to go, and for me, Skyview leads the pack. Two full large Dynon panels with autopilot, comm, GPS, transponder, dual ADAHARS, full ADS-B in and out, and dual backup batteries weigh a fraction of what six round gauges do. You can easily select between six-pack and EFIS displays, with or without synthetic vision.
Thanks for the info! This is really helpful. I was under the impression that glass weighed more than round gauges. I would definitely prefer glass, so, this works out well.
It weighs about the same with 2 large Dynon Skyviews at around 3kg where the equivalent 6 gauges would run you about the same ( on average 400 gramm each )
Of course you get a lot more functionality but also pay a lot more.

The real benefits are integration related ... being able to quickly tune your comms with just a screen touch , all sorts of automatic alarms ( obstacles , airspaces etc.)
To be frank , most of that functionality you can get with the previous generation EFIS devices ... all the fancy stuff like so called synthetic vision ( which is really a dirty-cheap trick every game computer programmer learns during his computer graphics 101 classes) is available on tablets at about 1/10th the cost.
To be frank, SkyView and Garmin EFIs are terribly overpriced and underpowered devices ( compared to your typical iPad) but the economy of scale ( or lack thereof ) dictates that we have to pay 15 k for a device that , technologically, is about 10 years behind your average high end tablet.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

FlyingBliss,

Base weight on the P2008 is 780 so without too many options we should be close to your target weight.

Mark
Paul_G

Post by Paul_G »

Base weight on my TL-3000 is 780 lbs - and it is loaded with all options (except a 23 gallon tank vs 34 gallon). If I have a 200 lb pilot and a 127 lb co-pilot with 23 gallons of fuel and 75 lbs of baggage it would be at its max. Solution: ship my wife's extra baggage via UPS.... or go on a diet.
Paul G
N400TL 2016 Sirius TL-3000
Chelan, WA (S10)
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I lost 33 pounds in 60 days to fly the SkyCatcher.
Retired from flying.
WDD

Post by WDD »

TimTaylor wrote:I lost 33 pounds in 60 days to fly the SkyCatcher.
How did you do that?
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Stop eating completely :-) ... since 1 pound of fat is more less 3500 calories and we are talking here 0.5 pounds per day, you need to create a deficit of 1750 calories ( more less ) per day, which basically means, stop eating almost completely , or alternatively, do 4 or more hours of heavy cardio combined with about half of your usual food intake.

However you look at it, there is no way to get that done in a healthy manner ...
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

WDD wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:I lost 33 pounds in 60 days to fly the SkyCatcher.
How did you do that?
HCG hormone, 500 calories per day under the care of my doctor.
Retired from flying.