Rotax 912iS or 912ULS for Sling 2 ???

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

3Dreaming

Re: Rotax 912iS or 912ULS for Sling 2 ???

Post by 3Dreaming »

cam737 wrote:The gentleman from Rotax said iS has better torque at higher power settings. I told him I flew a iS one day and a ULS the next day and I, albeit with "0" experience with Rotax engines, could not tell a difference. He said you probably could only notice the difference by using test equipment.
He said Lockwood put an iS and an ULS on an AirCam and they could definitely tell that there was less vibration on the iS vs. the ULS. He said real world, low and slow, touch and go, AirCam flying shows about a 15% fuel burn improvement...and about a 30% fuel burn improvement in cross-country-ECO mode.

FWIW...
I flew an early version CTLSi, and it did not seem to have power of my CTLS with the 912 ULS. I think the sport upgrade took care of that. I have flown one with the upgrade and performance was nearly the same. Also the 912iS also has a 5 year rubber replacement requirement, but I don't know what the cost will be yet.
Type47

Post by Type47 »

As a retired foreign car mechanic, it is gratifying to re-live the days back when I was first working on cars. I remember how the older mechanics were warning everyone how expensive the newfangled electronic boxes would be. How you would break down in the middle of no-where and you couldn’t get it fixed. And if you could find someone to work on it, you prolly can’t get parts.
They were talking about electronic fuel injection that came stock on a 1968 VW.
Being an old guy, I miss the carb adjustments, the point replacements, the decarboning the intakes, the 11 mpg, the killing at stop signs, the hesitation from stop, the contamination of the oil, the overhauls at 100,000 miles. All that paid well.
I do love my newer cars, though. My Town And Country that gets 30 mpg at 70 mph. All my vehicles with well over 200,000 miles and engines that have never been opened up. Never killing at stop signs. Computer controlled everything.
The old Vw had 65 hp, the new comperable Subaru engine puts out 220 hp.
The fuel injection tech may be new to planes, but it is proven for a bazillion hours in cars. For over 50 years.
I predict longer tbo, increased times between fluid changes, better fuel consumption, way fewer breakdowns, an almost non existent need for electronic replacement parts. Just like in cars.
All other things being equal and if you have the money, get the 912is.
Type47
LSRI
INTJ
2006 Tecnam P92 Echo Super
Don’t do the thing that almost killed you until you at least get the staples taken out of your head first….
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Awesome post Type47 :)

GA aviation reminds of automotive market in places like Cuba - stuck in the 50s and 60s.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
Type47

Post by Type47 »

Thank you, Warmi.
I’m quite a revolutionary when I can remember where I put my glasses.
Type47
LSRI
INTJ
2006 Tecnam P92 Echo Super
Don’t do the thing that almost killed you until you at least get the staples taken out of your head first….
RV-12builder

Post by RV-12builder »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote:You can still order kits with the ULS or iS, but its my understanding the factory built -12 will be iS only.

They were supposed to have pricing for the factory built plane last October, but is been put off, still no word on when they will spool up production. The kits are a go. If i had put a deposit down end of last year I’d probably see a plane the end of the summer or fall.

I want to fly yesterday... :D
Interesting to know they only plan to offer the iS in the factory version. I don't blame you for not wanting to wait that long!

Mark
RV-12builder

Post by RV-12builder »

cam737 wrote:Guys, you are supposed to be helping me decide on ULS or iS...not scaring me into neither!
I'll be interested to know which way you decide to go. I have to make the same decision for my ELSA RV-12. Keep us posted!

Mark
cam737

Post by cam737 »

Type47 wrote:As a retired foreign car mechanic, it is gratifying to re-live the days back when I was first working on cars. I remember how the older mechanics were warning everyone how expensive the newfangled electronic boxes would be. How you would break down in the middle of no-where and you couldn’t get it fixed. And if you could find someone to work on it, you prolly can’t get parts.
Being an old guy, I miss the carb adjustments, the point replacements, the decarboning the intakes, the 11 mpg, the killing at stop signs, the hesitation from stop, the contamination of the oil, the overhauls at 100,000 miles. All that paid well.
I do love my newer cars, though. My Town And Country that gets 30 mpg at 70 mph. All my vehicles with well over 200,000 miles and engines that have never been opened up. Never killing at stop signs. Computer controlled everything.
The fuel injection tech may be new to planes, but it is proven for a bazillion hours in cars. For over 50 years.
I predict longer tbo, increased times between fluid changes, better fuel consumption, way fewer breakdowns, an almost non existent need for electronic replacement parts. Just like in cars.
This is the post I've been waiting for!!! Thanks Type47! Just when I think I'll go with the ULS, here comes Type47.

So my next question...On my death bed (hopefully 43 years from now at age 99 :) ), will I regret spending the extra $5-$7k to get fuel injection? (I am still driving my 2006 Acura TL, fuel-injected-airport-car I bought in 2005, with 103,000 miles on it that runs perfectly...no regrets at all...just smiles and no car payments. Extremely low mx costs...no tune-up ever required according to Honda)

Cam
cam737
Sling 2 Build
[email protected]

swa
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

cam737 wrote:
Type47 wrote:As a retired foreign car mechanic, it is gratifying to re-live the days back when I was first working on cars. I remember how the older mechanics were warning everyone how expensive the newfangled electronic boxes would be. How you would break down in the middle of no-where and you couldn’t get it fixed. And if you could find someone to work on it, you prolly can’t get parts.
This is the post I've been waiting for!!! Thanks Type47! Just when I think I'll go with the ULS, here comes Type47.

So my next question...On my death bed (hopefully 43 years from now at age 99 :) ), will I regret spending the extra $5-$7k to get fuel injection? (I am still driving my 2006 Acura TL, fuel-injected-airport-car I bought in 2005, with 103,000 miles on it that runs perfectly...no regrets at all...just smiles and no car payments. Extremely low mx costs...no tune-up ever required according to Honda)

Cam
The only thing you will regret is wasting time making that decisions instead of going with the IS and getting your dream plane delivered to you sooner :)
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
cam737

Post by cam737 »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^BOOM!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Man, you guys spend my money as fast as my wife! (almost)

:)
cam737
Sling 2 Build
[email protected]

swa
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

cam737 wrote:

Cam
Something doesn't add up. How can you buy a car with 103,000 miles a year before it is even built? :D
cam737

Post by cam737 »

you need esa...
Attachments
IMG_3060.jpeg
IMG_3060.jpeg (98.85 KiB) Viewed 3904 times
cam737
Sling 2 Build
[email protected]

swa
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

[.[/quote]

Cam[/quote]

It's only money Cam, ya can't take it with you...Go For It!
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

3Dreaming wrote:
cam737 wrote:

Cam
Something doesn't add up. How can you buy a car with 103,000 miles a year before it is even built? :D
New models for next year come out in September or sooner this year.
Retired from flying.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

TimTaylor wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
cam737 wrote:

Cam
That I understand, but with 103,000 miles not likely.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

3Dreaming wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
That I understand, but with 103,000 miles not likely.
I guess you have to look at the comma after 2005.
Retired from flying.