S-LSA: MRA's

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Wm.Ince

S-LSA: MRA's

Post by Wm.Ince »

Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
3Dreaming

Re: S-LSA: MRA's

Post by 3Dreaming »

That article is from 2009. While some of the information is valid, there are some opinions expressed that have proven to be wrong in the eyes of the FAA.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

3Dreaming wrote:That article is from 2009. While some of the information is valid, there are some opinions expressed that have proven to be wrong in the eyes of the FAA.
Such as? Please expand upon that. I'm interested.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

The biggest thing that stands out is the requirement for Rotax factory training. The FAA has made it clear that factory training is not required.
smutny

Post by smutny »

I think it's important to point out, that at the time of the article, 2009, it wasn't an opinion that you had to have a Rotax authorization to work on their engines, it was considered mandatory by the FAA how they interpreted the ATSM standards.

However, the author of this article, Carol Carpenter, championed the effort to have that changed as manufacturers can not create regulation. The FAA agreed and Rotax changed their narrative and documentation.
John Smutny
LSRM - A/WS/PPC/Glider
iRMT
Normandy Aircraft @ S50
drseti

Post by drseti »

None of which means it isn't a good idea to follow the manufacturer's instructions anyway.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:None of which means it isn't a good idea to follow the manufacturer's instructions anyway.
You are required by regulation to follow the manufacturer's instructions, except in the case of an experimental. Receiving factory training is not an instruction, it is a recommendation.
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote: Receiving factory training is not an instruction, it is a recommendation.
True. So let me rephrase that:
None of which means it isn't a good idea to receive factory training anyway.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
3Dreaming wrote: Receiving factory training is not an instruction, it is a recommendation.
True. So let me rephrase that:
None of which means it isn't a good idea to receive factory training anyway.
True, and I have factory training.