Sportcruiser Tow bar

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

OC Flight Lessons

Sportcruiser Tow bar

Post by OC Flight Lessons »

Can anyone suggest a cheaper option for a tow bar than what I was quoted $395 from the Czech dealer rep? My 152 is only $60.

Thanks!
ATP, CFII, typed: B737, EMB-120, EMb-500, CL-65
drseti

Re: Sportcruiser Tow bar

Post by drseti »

There was a "Hints for Homebuilders" column a couple of years back for a DIY tow bar made from inexpensive hardware store materials. Maybe do a search on the EAA website.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

OC Flight Lessons wrote:Can anyone suggest a cheaper option for a tow bar than what I was quoted $395 from the Czech dealer rep? My 152 is only $60.

Thanks!
I may know someone with a spare. I'll get back to you via PM.

Shawn
drseti

Post by drseti »

Remember that the tow bar is not a part of the aircraft. Thus, it does not need to meet ASTM concenus standards. Therefore, you are not obligated to pay the big bux to the dealer, and no LoA is required.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Parker

Post by Parker »

For my Sportstar I went to a local welding shop, gave him a sketch and dimensions and he made me one. I think I paid $30.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Nice seeing you on the board, Parker. I didn't make it down to FL this year (I pulled a Douglas Corrigan and am in Boston right now) - but will certainly drop in on you next time I fly South.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US