Sportstar Owners - A place to hang out!

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

jfleming
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:58 pm

Sportstar Owners - A place to hang out!

Postby jfleming » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:42 pm

Hey all,

So just joined the forum from good old Down Under Aussie Land and purchased a 2006 Sportstar last year, and loving it, So... I thought I would create this thread for other Sportstar owners to come and chat, exchange info etc etc.

Looking forward to meeting you all in here - In the meantime, show us your bird. Here is a pic of mine.
Attachments
sporty-small.jpg
sporty-small.jpg (85.12 KiB) Viewed 1423 times

User avatar
drseti
Posts: 5399
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:42 pm
Location: Lock Haven PA
Contact:

Re: Sportstar Owners - A place to hang out!

Postby drseti » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:57 pm

Reposted from another thread:

Nice to have you with us, John. Where in Oz are you, and where do you base your plane? I tried to rent a Cherokee just outside of Sidney about 20 summers ago, but got hammered by PM t-storms before I even got airborne!

I'm on my second SportStar now. First was a 2006 Plus; I upgraded it to a Max and ran it to 1800 hours before selling it to one of my graduates. Replaced it with a 2010 Max which is now approaching 800 hours and going strong. They're great airplanes, and make fine, stable trainers.

By all means, feel free to start a SportStar thread under the Light Sport Aircraft topic, and post whatever questions you have.


Obviously you can ignore that last bit, since you've already created this thread. ;)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof. H. Paul Shuch, Ph.D., CFII, LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC, iRMT
AvSport of Lock Haven
fly@AvSport.org
http://AvSport.org
http://facebook.com/SportFlying

jfleming
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:58 pm

Re: Sportstar Owners - A place to hang out!

Postby jfleming » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:59 pm

:) All good! :)

Warmi
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:35 pm
Location: Frankfort, IL

Re: Sportstar Owners - A place to hang out!

Postby Warmi » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:27 pm

I don't own an Evektor but if someone around Chicago area is interested in trying it out ( or learning how to fly in one ) , you can do so at http://sportpilotchicago.weebly.com/the-aircraft.html - they have two nice Evektors and offer lessons as well as demo flights.

When I was looking for plane for myself, I went there for a demo flight ... as you can see, back then I had no idea how to properly (and gracefully - assuming that is even possible ) get into one .... :-)
Attachments
EvektorSportstar.jpg
EvektorSportstar.jpg (83.14 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois

User avatar
drseti
Posts: 5399
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:42 pm
Location: Lock Haven PA
Contact:

Re: Sportstar Owners - A place to hang out!

Postby drseti » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:48 am

Getting in and out is included in my first ground lesson!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof. H. Paul Shuch, Ph.D., CFII, LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC, iRMT
AvSport of Lock Haven
fly@AvSport.org
http://AvSport.org
http://facebook.com/SportFlying

jfleming
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:58 pm

Re: Sportstar Owners - A place to hang out!

Postby jfleming » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:43 pm

I managed to bet my bird up for a fly yesterday and have a play with the in flight adjustable prop! WOW!! She can really move along in the cruise when you get that combo worked out!

I had to back away at about 115 as it was too lumpy to be going that fast! :)

Anyways... more playing (flying) to be done. ;)

akroguy
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:46 pm

Re: Sportstar Owners - A place to hang out!

Postby akroguy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:18 pm

My Sporty. :D

sportywebpic.jpg
sportywebpic.jpg (71.34 KiB) Viewed 1113 times

jfleming
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:58 pm

Re: Sportstar Owners - A place to hang out!

Postby jfleming » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:01 am

Nice looking beasty!!

akroguy
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:46 pm

Re: Sportstar Owners - A place to hang out!

Postby akroguy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:51 pm

It has an interesting history. Originally bought new by a former Navy Corsair Pilot. He intended to fly it mostly for Young Eagles, but age and dual hip surgeries made it impossible for him to get in/out of the airplane. So, he sold it to friend who vowed to use it for the intended mission...flying young kids...and he did just that. He then lost his C180 due to an engine out on short final. I had a 180 for sale and he liked it. I wanted to get back to cheaper sport flying with less emphasis on load hauling ability. So, we made a swap and here I am, with a low time Sporty that burns a lot less gas, is significantly easier to move around the hangar and Momma likes it too. She never enjoyed the Cessna...too closed-in feeling for her. Oh, the tail number was requested by the original owner...same as the aircraft number of the Corsair he flew in the Navy. Cool.

akroguy
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:46 pm

Re: Sportstar Owners - A place to hang out!

Postby akroguy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:55 pm

jfleming wrote:I managed to bet my bird up for a fly yesterday and have a play with the in flight adjustable prop! WOW!! She can really move along in the cruise when you get that combo worked out!

I had to back away at about 115 as it was too lumpy to be going that fast! :)

Anyways... more playing (flying) to be done. ;)


Man, an adjustable prop would be GREAT where I live (high density altitude). I adjusted the prop back one inch to get rpm up on takeoff here but, of course, that slowed me down in cruise. I can get about 110mph or so at 5500 rpm at 8,000'.

But, as an old aviator once told me about slower airplanes...."Son, you like to fly, right? So, what's your hurry?". :)

TimTaylor
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: Sportstar Owners - A place to hang out!

Postby TimTaylor » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:24 pm

akroguy wrote:But, as an old aviator once told me about slower airplanes...."Son, you like to fly, right? So, what's your hurry?". :)


That is actually a great point. I guess some of us fly because we need to get from point A to point B quickly. However, I bet most of us fly because we love being up in the air trying to make a perfect flight from point A to point B with no mistakes and having fun while doing it. As soon as we land, we're ready to go again.

jfleming
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:58 pm

Re: Sportstar Owners - A place to hang out!

Postby jfleming » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:21 pm

akroguy wrote:It has an interesting history. Originally bought new by a former Navy Corsair Pilot. He intended to fly it mostly for Young Eagles, but age and dual hip surgeries made it impossible for him to get in/out of the airplane. So, he sold it to friend who vowed to use it for the intended mission...flying young kids...and he did just that. He then lost his C180 due to an engine out on short final. I had a 180 for sale and he liked it. I wanted to get back to cheaper sport flying with less emphasis on load hauling ability. So, we made a swap and here I am, with a low time Sporty that burns a lot less gas, is significantly easier to move around the hangar and Momma likes it too. She never enjoyed the Cessna...too closed-in feeling for her. Oh, the tail number was requested by the original owner...same as the aircraft number of the Corsair he flew in the Navy. Cool.


That's cool!!

Mine is low hours too, and similarly I got lucky. The guy who bought in originally, sadly passed away in a bush fire before he got a chance to fly it much. It sat around in the estate for a while until it was eventually sold off to another guy who had a strip on his own land. Sadly for him after only a couple of years of flying her, he became medically unfit to fly. He held on to her and ran her up every few weeks hoping to get back in the cockpit, but sadly never did, and so last year I bought her with only 167 hours. Not bad for a 2006 model! :D

I am very pleased with her. She is a great machine to fly.

jfleming
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:58 pm

Re: Sportstar Owners - A place to hang out!

Postby jfleming » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:24 pm

akroguy wrote:
jfleming wrote:I managed to bet my bird up for a fly yesterday and have a play with the in flight adjustable prop! WOW!! She can really move along in the cruise when you get that combo worked out!

I had to back away at about 115 as it was too lumpy to be going that fast! :)

Anyways... more playing (flying) to be done. ;)


Man, an adjustable prop would be GREAT where I live (high density altitude). I adjusted the prop back one inch to get rpm up on takeoff here but, of course, that slowed me down in cruise. I can get about 110mph or so at 5500 rpm at 8,000'.

But, as an old aviator once told me about slower airplanes...."Son, you like to fly, right? So, what's your hurry?". :)


I was surprised at how well she performed. This particular trip I just needed to get from point A to Point B, and so getting there a bit faster was needed. Normally when I am plodding along the coastline I cruise around a lot slower to see the sites. :)

I will need to do some experimenting now as I have moved the plane to a higher elevation - some 2000ft higher. So I will have similar issues to you. Need to watch the DA when I fly.

User avatar
drseti
Posts: 5399
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:42 pm
Location: Lock Haven PA
Contact:

Re: Sportstar Owners - A place to hang out!

Postby drseti » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:04 pm

jfleming wrote: last year I bought her with only 167 hours. Not bad for a 2006 model! :D


Actually, I have to respectfully disagree. 167 hours on a 12 year old plane (that is, an average of just 14 hours a year) is very bad for the engine. :( Engines live longest when they're flown frequently. Those that sit idle most of their lives seldom reach TBO, because they are prone to internal corrosion. This is actually discussed this month in Mike Busch's AOPA blog.

Which is not to say that you didn't get a great buy. Just be sure to do a borescope inspection inside the cylinders. And, to keep the engine and yourself healthy, fly it often.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof. H. Paul Shuch, Ph.D., CFII, LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC, iRMT
AvSport of Lock Haven
fly@AvSport.org
http://AvSport.org
http://facebook.com/SportFlying

jfleming
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:58 pm

Re: Sportstar Owners - A place to hang out!

Postby jfleming » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:40 pm

@dsreti,

I understand your concern. The plane was run up regularly so it didn't sit for super long periods of time idle. Maintenance was performed every year etc etc.

The LAME who looked over it gave it a perfect bill of health, and some 200 hours later, she is performing nicely. :)

Cheers
John


Return to “Light Sport Aircraft”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests