Sportstar Owners - A place to hang out!

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

ShawnM

Re: Sportstar Owners - A place to hang out!

Postby ShawnM » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:17 am

jfleming wrote:Sounds like you guys have similar issues to us.

For example, I am about to fit a new RPM gauge to my Sporty. Mine has the RPM and the MAP right over on the right side - in front of the Pax. Trouble is, I have an inflight adjustable prop, and so RPM becomes something I need to keep an eye on.

SO... in order for me to fit a new one, or even relocate the existing, (to Pilot's side) I have to gain a Letter of Authority from Evektor and have it done by a certified LAME.

I have the RPM gauge on the way, and the LOA with it - but what a pain. It's just an RPM gauge!! It's not like I am reshaping the wings!

Happy to get the LAME To fit etc, but why the rest of the nonsense is beyond me!

Hi jfleming, It certainly can be a pain trying to navigate the rules and regs as everyone seems to interpret them slightly different. I think the government wants it that way. :mrgreen: Sounds like you seem to have it worked out, good for you.

I do have a question for you, can I ask how long it took for Evektor to issue the LOA to you and was there a fee at all? I'm researching LSA manufacturers and the issuance of LOA's.

Thanks,
Shawn

jfleming

Postby jfleming » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:39 pm

ShawnM wrote:
Hi jfleming, It certainly can be a pain trying to navigate the rules and regs as everyone seems to interpret them slightly different. I think the government wants it that way. :mrgreen: Sounds like you seem to have it worked out, good for you.

I do have a question for you, can I ask how long it took for Evektor to issue the LOA to you and was there a fee at all? I'm researching LSA manufacturers and the issuance of LOA's.

Thanks,
Shawn

Hi Shawn,

They have been pretty good actually. The only complaint I have is they are overpriced on the actual gauge, but I gathered from the conversation that I had to buy their gauge or no LOA. The gauge is actually a VDO gauge, but it appears it is specially made for manufacturers running ROTAX.

I contacted VDO directly and could get something similar, but only in 85mm and not 80mm. I could have used that, BUT, when I checked all my gauges they are 80mm. 5mm might seem like a lot, but I think it would have stood out and looked silly. Was half the price though. :( You will see my dash attached, and understand why I wanted it to be exactly the same size as the others. I am one for wanting to do things properly.

That gauge for VDO Australia was $280 Australian dollars. Whereas the one from Evektor was $439 Australian + $107 freight. So I have been royally routed. The LOA was another $75 Australian. So all up this little mod has cost me over $600 - AND - now I need to pay the LAME to put it in. So not a cheap exercise - but at least it will look like it should, and pretty much look original, rather than a slap together.

Anyways, I will keep you all posted as to my progress, once the gauge lands, and we get to installing it.

Cheers
John
4912-dash-small.jpg
4912-dash-small.jpg (118.7 KiB) Viewed 1619 times

jfleming

Postby jfleming » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:48 am

Hey fellow Sporty owners.

Took my baby for a squirt today in some beautiful Autumn weather - some pics for you! :)
Attachments
fly1.jpg
fly1.jpg (154.26 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
fly2.jpg
fly2.jpg (135.66 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
fly3.jpg
fly3.jpg (152.81 KiB) Viewed 1314 times

Return to “Light Sport Aircraft”