ADSB for Cessna Skycatcher 162

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

3Dreaming

Re: ADSB for Cessna Skycatcher 162

Post by 3Dreaming »

I installed one earlier this year, and only had to install 2 external antennas. That was on a composite airplane, a metal airplane might be different.
zodiac flyer

Post by zodiac flyer »

I only used two external antennas, one for 978 transmit and one for 978 receive. I found the external 1090 antenna not necessary, i originally had installed an external 1090 receive antenna but removed it and used an internal rubber duck type antenna on the unit. 1090 is very high power from aircraft, usually commercial jet, 200 watts output. My receiver was getting swamped, or overloaded on the external 1090 antenna, the manufacturer recommended using the internal antenna and it has worked out perfectly.
You can used inexpensive, 978 MHZ Mode C post antennas for about $20.00 on Ebay. I used a fiberglass antenna for my 978 transmitter, and a post antenna for my receiver.
I believe its a great unit, has fantastic customer support. But the latest and greatest from Uavionix and Garmin might be a better choice.
I bought my unit on Ebay, used of course, and my unit has transmit, receive on 978 and 1090 and synthetic vision with a built in AHRS.I have about $900
into the system with antennas and cables.
There is a Ilevil Beacon listed on Ebay right now for less than $1200, new, sells for about $2400 retail.
I'm surprised it hasn't been grabbed up yet. If you search Ebay there are great deals that come up occassionly.
Dave
N601XP
ryoder

Post by ryoder »

Still need a solution and I won’t go experimental yet. If I ever did go experimental I’d want to put in an O340 and a constant speed prop plus G3X touch. Haha.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

ryoder wrote:Still need a solution and I won’t go experimental yet. If I ever did go experimental I’d want to put in an O340 and a constant speed prop plus G3X touch. Haha.
Did you reach out to Cessna again? That's where your "solution" will have to come from unless you go experimental.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

ryoder wrote:Still need a solution and I won’t go experimental yet. If I ever did go experimental I’d want to put in an O340 and a constant speed prop plus G3X touch. Haha.
O340? Check.
G3X? Check.
Constant speed prop? Nope.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Since the SkyCatcher panel is all Garmin, I would think they will have something from Garmin for ADS-B out.
Retired from flying.
ryoder

Post by ryoder »

I’m home sick today so I think I’ll try actually calling them.
I know a CS prop wouldn’t classify as ELSA. Also know they need to provide the LOA. I checked their support site for SBs today and nothing new. That is where it would go when they have a solution.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

ryoder wrote:I’m home sick today so I think I’ll try actually calling them.
I know a CS prop wouldn’t classify as ELSA. Also know they need to provide the LOA. I checked their support site for SBs today and nothing new. That is where it would go when they have a solution.
Constant speed prop wouldn't classify as LSA period.
Retired from flying.
ryoder

Post by ryoder »

Yeah everybody knows that.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

ryoder wrote:Yeah everybody knows that.
Almost everybody.
Retired from flying.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

As I now understand the ADS-B out requirement, it is possible that many Sport Pilots may not need to comply at all. According to AOPA, ADS-B out is only required thus:
•Class A, B, and C airspace;
•Class E airspace at or above 10,000 feet msl, excluding airspace at and below 2,500 feet agl;
•Within 30 nautical miles of a Class B primary airport (the Mode C veil);
•Above the ceiling and within the lateral boundaries of Class B or Class C airspace up to 10,000 feet;
•Class E airspace over the Gulf of Mexico, at and above 3,000 feet msl, within 12 nm of the U.S. coast
So it seems to me that most Sport Pilots probably wouldn't need to comply at all, saving a ton of headaches and expense.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

It has nothing to do with what type of pilot license you hold. It is totally dependent on what airspace you fly in. No pilot would need ADS-B out if they stay out of those that you listed.

Personally, flying with Sport Pilot privileges and limitations, I fly in one or the other of those almost every time I fly.

This is and has been the ADS-B mandate since day one. Nothing has changed. Also, I prefer to get my information from the FAA regulations, not AOPA. That way, you won't lose anything in translation. I have read AOPA interpretations that were totally bogus, although what you have posted is correct.
Retired from flying.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

HAPPYDAN wrote:As I now understand the ADS-B out requirement, it is possible that many Sport Pilots may not need to comply at all. According to AOPA, ADS-B out is only required thus:
•Class A, B, and C airspace;
•Class E airspace at or above 10,000 feet msl, excluding airspace at and below 2,500 feet agl;
•Within 30 nautical miles of a Class B primary airport (the Mode C veil);
•Above the ceiling and within the lateral boundaries of Class B or Class C airspace up to 10,000 feet;
•Class E airspace over the Gulf of Mexico, at and above 3,000 feet msl, within 12 nm of the U.S. coast
So it seems to me that most Sport Pilots probably wouldn't need to comply at all, saving a ton of headaches and expense.
I wanted ADS-B out not because I needed to comply but because it is very useful in enhancing overall safety - especially in a place like Chicago where there is tons of traffic.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

As Warmi stated I also wanted it to aid in situational awareness of my surroundings. Nothing can replace your own two eyes looking out the window but it's nice to have another "gadget" helping me look out the window so to speak. I also wanted ADS-B for the inflight weather. I love than I can check weather even when I'm out of radio range to hear it from the airport I'm headed to or one close to my destination. Also, flying around in Florida in the summers the storms can pop up in a second so it's good to see them coming also.

Oh, and since my home airport is inside the Tampa mode c veil I didn't have a choice. :mrgreen:

And Tim is correct, it doesn't matter what certificate you hold, it's all about airspace.
drseti

Post by drseti »

ShawnM wrote:Also, flying around in Florida in the summers the storms can pop up in a second
True. Unfortunately ADS- B wx lags by several minutes, so it won't help you all that much with T-storm avoidance.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US