ADSB for Cessna Skycatcher 162

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

ShawnM

Re: ADSB for Cessna Skycatcher 162

Postby ShawnM » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:20 am

drseti wrote:
ShawnM wrote:Also, flying around in Florida in the summers the storms can pop up in a second

True. Unfortunately ADS- B wx lags by several minutes, so it won't help you all that much with T-storm avoidance.

Oh, I dont need it for thunderstorm avoidance, I already avoid them. :mrgreen:

I guess I should have also clarified that I mainly use it for METARS and not a radar image as I'm usually on the ground when there's a even a hint of a shower or storm as I am a fair weather flyer.

For the radar, I like that it gives me a good look ahead many, many miles away long before I get there. I have seen many FAA videos on in flight weather and how they lag and certainly dont use in flight weather as my go/no go decision maker while in the air. We can get passing showers at any given moment so it's just nice to know roughly where they.

HAPPYDAN

Postby HAPPYDAN » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:29 pm

I was under the mistaken impression that the mandate included all but aircraft without an electrical system. Wrong. Many headaches and much discussion later, not to mention impending expense, this information came as some relief. Many in our EAA chapter had concerns, as not all of us possess the munificence to lay out thousands on request. And I'll bet some aviator out there, reading this forum, was not aware of these exceptions either. So, if meets your needs, go for it.

TimTaylor

Postby TimTaylor » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:24 pm

ADS-B out is not required in aircraft with no electrical system. It is required in all other aircraft flying in the airspace that you listed. It is not required in any aircraft not flying in those air spaces. This is spelled out in the FAR's. Nothing has changed. All pilots should be aware of all the FAR's that may apply to them and the aircraft they fly.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/91.225

By the way, ADS-B out requirements are very similar to mode C transponder requirements.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/91.215
Commercial Pilot Airplane Single & Multiengine Land; Instrument Airplane; Sport Endorsement Airplane Single Engine Sea; Flight Instructor Airplane Single And Multiengine; Ground Instructor Advanced Instrument

Return to “Light Sport Aircraft”