Removing vinyl lettering

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Warmi

Removing vinyl lettering

Post by Warmi »

I got my new N vinyl numbers and while it is fairly simple process to apply them, I am wondering how to approach removal of old lettering.

This is a carbon fiber plane - so far the only consistent advice I found (mostly on various boat forums ) was to use a heat source ( hair dryer etc ) and slowly and carefully peel off the old stuff.

Any other ideas ? Also, if there are some glue residue left, what would be the best way to clean it up ? Good old plain warm water + soap ?

Thanks
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
joey4420

Re: Removing vinyl lettering

Post by joey4420 »

heat gun (hair dryer) or let it sit on the ramp on a hot day for a few hours.

Peel. Any left over glue, soap and water is always the safest way of removing.
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Warmi wrote:. . . "if there are some glue residue left, what would be the best way to clean it up ?" . . .
For that application, "Goof Off" (Home Depot) works really well.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Goof-Off-6-o ... /206726072
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I would check the maintenance manuals to see if there is any warning about cleaning products. I know with Flight Design anything you use needs to be a neutral Ph. Adhesive removers may not be neutral Ph. For the Flight Design I have used old style enamel reducer to remove tape residue. It doesn't seem to bother the paint, or the construction material. It might be worth giving the folks you bought the airplane from a call. Lighter fluid on a rag might work too.
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

If it's a CT it will in fact take a heat gun and most likely 2 days work. It's slow and tedious.Yes you will want to clean the area where the vinyl came off, but there shouldn't be and large residue left after the peel. Heat it don't cook it.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Got everything done.

Old numbers came off without any problems. Got the plane cleaned with Goof Off ( as suggested by Wm.Ince ) + water - no problem whatsoever.
It took about 2 hours to get all of that done , including new numbers ( mostly trying to align everything ) but everything turned out perfectly.

Thanks for your help.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
914Driver

Post by 914Driver »

I would use a hair dryer and some patience. The heat may be a concern, but how hot does it get sitting un the sun?

Eastwood Co. (car guys) sell a vinyl eraser for ~$15. http://www.eastwood.com/vinyl-eraser-and-arbor.html

drseti

Post by drseti »

I've done this a number of times, using an industrial heat gun from Harbor Freight (caution: use the low heat setting!) For glue removal, I've had good luck using isopropyl alcohol on cotton swabs.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US