Sky Arrow accident a month ago (not mine!)

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

FastEddieB

Sky Arrow accident a month ago (not mine!)

Post by FastEddieB »

I spoke with a fellow considering a Sky Arrow and he informed me if an accident about a month ago I was not aware of:

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2017/06/s ... ne-02.html

Of note, both the Flight Design CT's (and the Cirrus) are designed with a structure designed to protect the occupants in a crash. In the Flight Designs I think it's called an "egg" and in the accidents I've seen involving them it seems to do it's job pretty well.

Kind of sobering how the Sky Arrow came apart here. Just one photo from the link:

Of course, every accident has its own dynamics, so it's risky to just assume a CT would necessarily have fared better.

Still, food for thought.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
MrMorden

Re: Sky Arrow accident a month ago (not mine!)

Post by MrMorden »

On the plus side, the passenger seats seem to have survived intact. That is the only area that counts.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

MrMorden wrote:On the plus side, the passenger seats seem to have survived intact. That is the only area that counts.
I had that thought as well - structure torn away and you're just left sitting there in a field.

Not sure whether the canopy was lost during the accident or perhaps removed to extricate the pilot.

In any case, it must be difficult to design a "cage" and retain the benefits of a canopy.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Does the Sky Arrow have a steel cage under the composite shell? I can't remember from my one ride in your airplane, Eddie.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

15 feet on takeoff and the the wing snagged the ground...

The instrument panel looked unscathed and it appears that the the pilots injuries were not all that serious.

Don't know what more one could want? No one builds a flying tank regardless of what the marketing hype claims.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

To Andy: No evidence of any steel structure embedded in the composite airframe.

To Jim: I just kinda wanted to start a discussion on the possible benefits of the "cages" some new - and older, think Mooney - aircraft have designed into them. I feel a bit vulnerable "out in front" as I am in my Sky Arrow. But that understanding in no way affects my enjoyment or the way I fly. I am addicted to the open feeling of the canopy with nothing either above or below to block my view. If and when I'm involved in an accident, I'll just try to deal with the cards I'm dealt.

Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

I must admit, that view from the cockpit is nothing short of awesome.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

FastEdie: No, not picking a fight, I understand what you are asking.

But understand that a "cage" can be a marketing ploy to make the normal structure sound better than it is. But drop a shark cage from 1,000 feet and it will crush like an eggshell.

Also a composite can be made stronger than steel if engineered that way. Regardless of construction, yes you are exposed and need to preplan accordingly.

Be it a crosscountry or just a meandering flight, keep your route out of forests and other hostile landing sites unless you have an out that you will be able to reach.

Friend of mine just took a crosscountry from east coast to southern CA then northward along the coast finally arriving at Vale, CO. He could have gone gps direct but chose that routing to stay along roads and avoid mountains that were close to his service ceiling so that he would have some margin as well as being closer to civilization.

The most important part of the safety equation is our judgment :wink: