Is raising the S-LSA gross weight a priority for EAA?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

dstclair

Re: Is raising the S-LSA gross weight a priority for EAA?

Post by dstclair »

I think we're saying the same thing differently -- raising to 1675lbs and increasing the stall speed (I think a C150/152 stalls above 45kts?) would allow many type certified aircraft as well as include European VLA's (that didn't have controllable props). Controllable props and removing the 120 KTAS would be icing on the cake.
dave
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

eyeflygps wrote:As I posted, 1675#. I would be happy if they simply say Sport Pilots can fly airplanes up to 1675# and stall speeds of C150/152. That is all that is needed. There are plenty expensive LSA already available. My goal is not to increase the choice for wealthy pilots, but to open opportunities for everyone else. It's a different value system.
I am +1 all over that idea. As I seem to recall, that WAS the original goal for Rec Pilot, and later, Sport Pilot. THAT alone would rekindle much interest in General Aviation, as long as it could be done safely.
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

I'd love to see this happen. Who do we need to encourage at EAA to move this along?
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
MackAttack

Post by MackAttack »

I really want a constant-speed prop and another 10-15 knots in addition to 750 kg.... I know it's early to ask Santa for next Christmas, but as long as we are putting the wishlist together ... *laughing*

Good discussion, but we will see what they do ... if anything.

Cheers
rgstubbsjr

Post by rgstubbsjr »

Personally, I think it makes sense to raise the gross.
At least cover C-150/152 C-172 and planes of similar ilk.
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

rgstubbsjr wrote:Personally, I think it makes sense to raise the gross.
At least cover C-150/152 C-172 and planes of similar ilk.
Yep. It would also bring all Ercoupe types into sport pilot eligibility.
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.