Bristell

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Merlinspop

Bristell

Post by Merlinspop »

....Moving the discussion of the Bristell over to the Light Sport Aircraft forum...

Lou -

Is there a page with better pictures of the TDO than the pdf that I found on the site you linked to? Possibly also a listing of the equipment on board.

Can you be more specific about the "minor damage" from the "gentle ground loop"? (are wheel landings preferred over 3-point...just curious about that one).

What 2 shows do you require the purchaser to attend?

I agree with Eddie; very high lust factor on that one. A roll of paper towels would have to be on the packing list to wipe up all the drool everywhere you go.
loumancuso wrote:Hi Fast Eddie,
Thank you for your kind words regarding the Bristell TDO
Tail Dragger Option.
I agree it is the most lust-worthy LSA. It is beautiful.

It only weighs 685 pounds, so it has a huge useful load of 645 pounds.

It has 100 hours of demo time and some minor damage from a gentle ground loop.

It needs a new home and I am looking for an offer, even if it seems too low.

Please, if you agree with Fast Eddie that this is a lust-worthy plane for you, please make an offer.
A new 2017 TDO identically equipped would be about $175,000 We are asking $139,000 and would consider any offer.

More pictures are available on our educational site: http://www.thelandingdoctor.com

Lou
- Bruce
Merlinspop

Re: Bristell

Post by Merlinspop »

A nice video of this same aircraft:

http://www.avweb.com/videos/Video-AVweb ... 686-1.html

A P&P review of it:

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/article ... D2QEbIrJlY

What does the "Up/Down" knob control?
- Bruce
MackAttack

Post by MackAttack »

I have seen this aircraft in person in Pennsylvania when I test-flew the Bristell (not the TDO, the tricycle version). Excellent airplane and hard to beat that value. Note that the Garmins in that aircraft are the older G3X non-touch version, not the G3X Touch. So the screens are smaller, more like the Aspen screens than the G3X Touch (which is the same size screen as the standard G1000 screens). And it has the 912 engine versus the 912iS or the 914 turbo. Otherwise that's a great deal if you want a taildragger and either have or are willing to get the endorsement. It's a few knots faster than a tricycle Bristell with the 912 engine.

I am very impressed with the Bristells - both the aircraft and the company, as well as their distributor group here in the US. It came down to a choice between the Bristell and the Tecnam and I went with the Tecnam, but I definitely think highly of that aircraft. I would recommend making the trip to Pennsylvania or Long Island (wherever the aircraft is now) to fly it first but it sure sounds like a good deal. I would be sure you get an independent assessment of the aircraft and its maintenance records to check out the ground loop incident and any associated repairs ... Can't beat the useful load either.

Happy to discuss offline if you'd like.

Cheers
drseti

Post by drseti »

Shameless advertising: I stand ready to provide a prebuy examination of this, or any, Rotax-powered LSA. Details under the Maintenance tab on my website.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MackAttack

Post by MackAttack »

If that aircraft is still in Lancaster PA, then I agree (his shameless self-promotion aside!!! *laughing*) that our own good Dr. Paul S would be an outstanding choice for a pre-buy inspection given that he is not too far away in Lock Haven ...

I would ask the OP to please keep us posted on how this all unfolds ...

Cheers
pjdavis

Post by pjdavis »

Hi Guys,

I am training out of Lancaster and flying a Bristell. There is a red TDO in the hanger that is being repaired - but I do not believe it is the one that is being discussed in this link. This one does have landing gear and minor wing damage. I believe it was shipped up from Florida. The tail number does not match the plane that I believe Lou is selling. I was told this plane is privately owned. Lou says his plane is a demo.

I have only flown 172's and now the Bristell. I love the plane! The only thing I have to do to buy one is get the right powerball numbers! :mrgreen:

PJ
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

pjdavis wrote:. . . "I have only flown 172's and now the Bristell. I love the plane!" . . .
Please tell us what you love about the Bristell.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
pjdavis

Post by pjdavis »

Bill asked for my impressions of the Bristell. I have 25 hours in the airplane. I had 18 hours in a 172 and 1 hour in a RV-12. I began training PPL in 6/2016 and move over to sport at the beginning of 9/2016. I had choice of 2 schools. Chesapeake Light Sport - RV-12. And USA Sport Flying Lancaster, PA - Bristell. I flew the RV-12 for an intro flight - never flew a low wing or stick. 2 days later I flew the Bristell. I picked the school due to location and traffic patterns (driving to and from). For a very low time 60 year student I was surprised that the RV did not have a steerable nose wheel - but had no problem taxiing. I cannot comment on the how the RV handles compared to the Bristell as I only had 1 hour and did pilot the plane on take off or landing. 2 days later my 1st flight in the Bristell was different. I was the pilot on take off and almost to wheels on the ground. When I came to the school I was a complete screw up on final and landing. With patience and practice it began to click. My logbook shows 180 landings, 120 in the Bristell. Keep in mind that my experience is only in 3 airplanes and when I began to get a real understanding (by feel) of what flying actually is was only in the Bristell. To me the airplane is very stable, responsive to the throttle, very easy to fly during slow flight. fairly quick to leave the ground, the climb rate is above average for LSA. Good glide ratio - on a my 1st power out drill I picked the hard way to reach the runway - i.e., the wrong one. However after doing 70% of a go around I made it with room to spare. After a good lecture from my CFI, he said I did good with my poor decision. The interior of a the airplane is spacious, with a bit of luxury. It is ergonomically designed - everything at your fingertips. The seats are very comfortable - I should know I have a very bad back. Sometimes in the the 172 it would start to hurt, did in the RV too. Never in the Bristell. The rudder pedals are adjustable - not just a a position or 3 but just about anywhere in the range. The throttle is a console lever, which I light so much better then the push/-pull type.

Visually the airplane is just cool! Another reason that I have enjoyed this airplane so much is my CFi Al Hubler. For a hands on versus book learning person like me, he is very perceptive. after my 2nd lesson, once in the air he dimmed out the glass panel and made me fly by feel all way down the ground. This went on for 4 - 5 lessons. It really learned from that.

Keep in mind this description is from a 45 hour 60 year student pilot with little to no experience in other airplanes. That being said - If hit the right numbers tonight I am going to buy a brand new Bristell! :mrgreen:

PJ
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Thank you.
So, out the door, how much are we talking about?$
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
pjdavis

Post by pjdavis »

Bill,

For me it is not possible - so I only know the basic figures. Before tax I would guess about $180,000.00. What they do have is a share program. That is what I am hoping to do.

PJ
drseti

Post by drseti »

Glad you're flying with Al, PJ. He's the world's second best CFI. :wink:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
pjdavis

Post by pjdavis »

And who is the best??????? :shock:
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

pjdavis wrote:And who is the best??????? :shock:
That's easy, which ever CFI you are talking to at the time.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

MackAttack wrote:If that aircraft is still in Lancaster PA, then I agree (his shameless self-promotion aside!!! *laughing*) that our own good Dr. Paul S would be an outstanding choice for a pre-buy inspection given that he is not too far away in Lock Haven ...

I would ask the OP to please keep us posted on how this all unfolds ...

Cheers
I was asking rhetorically.

I share PJ's new airplane purchasing plan.
- Bruce