New SP rules I have Q's

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Targetbuster

New SP rules I have Q's

Post by Targetbuster »

Hi Folks,

Forgive me if this has been beaten to death, if so, perhaps someone could direct me to the link......But, I am presently a SP for the last 5 years. Like many, I really didn't want to be bothered every 2 years with a medical. But since the new "rule" went in to effect, I've decided to take advantage of it. I went ahead and got my medical and now I need to know where to go from here. All my previous instruction was via a CFI II (not SP CFI) so it should all count. Basically, I'm wondering if I need to get my private pilot certificate or if the private training (night flight, VOR/nav, and xcountry) will allow me to take advantage of the new sport rule once I'm solo (with all necessary private pilot training). I guess I'm just wondering if I need to do the private pilot written and a new checkride and actually become a private pilot before I can transition back to utilize the new sport pilot rule. Any ideas? My guess is that I will have to go ahead and get the private pilot certification and then allow my medical to lapse in order to fly under the new ruling. But that is just my guess. Any input would be appreciated. Brian
Sport Pilot
Targetbuster

Re: New SP rules I have Q's

Post by Targetbuster »

eyeflygps wrote:What new Sport Rule? What are you trying to do? If you want to fly other than LSA, you need to get a Private Certificate. If you want to fly at night or without the Sport Pilot weather restrictions, you need to get a Private License. As a Sport Pilot, the PBORII has no effect on anything with or without a third class medical.
Ouch, just asking....no wonder I haven't visited here for years....
Sport Pilot
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Targetbuster,

Personally, I detected nothing in eyflygps's rather informative and comprehensive answer that came anywhere near eliciting an "ouch".

Please stick around and try not to be so sensitive.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Targetbuster wrote:Hi Folks,

Forgive me if this has been beaten to death, if so, perhaps someone could direct me to the link......But, I am presently a SP for the last 5 years. Like many, I really didn't want to be bothered every 2 years with a medical. But since the new "rule" went in to effect, I've decided to take advantage of it. I went ahead and got my medical and now I need to know where to go from here. All my previous instruction was via a CFI II (not SP CFI) so it should all count. Basically, I'm wondering if I need to get my private pilot certificate or if the private training (night flight, VOR/nav, and xcountry) will allow me to take advantage of the new sport rule once I'm solo (with all necessary private pilot training). I guess I'm just wondering if I need to do the private pilot written and a new checkride and actually become a private pilot before I can transition back to utilize the new sport pilot rule. Any ideas? My guess is that I will have to go ahead and get the private pilot certification and then allow my medical to lapse in order to fly under the new ruling. But that is just my guess. Any input would be appreciated. Brian
Brian
What is the " new sport pilot rule"? Are you talking about PBOR2?

If you've been flying SP for five years you can continue to do exactly that even after deciding to take a 3rd class medical.
You said you went ahead and got the medical and now you're asking where you should go from here? If so without knowing what it would mean why did you do it? If you had had your medical application denied you would have just jeopardized your SP privileges.

So I would say you seem rather confused as to why you yourself chose to take the medical without having thought through the implications or the options which to be fair are available just by reading PBOR2 to some extent.

It's also confusing why you admit you got a medical without seeming to know why, risked your own SP privileges , then post a question here and when answered appear to take offense .

The FAA have a year to enact the recent changes so it could be a while yet and if they don't then the changes begin by default as far as I know.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

eyeflygps wrote:It sounds like maybe he thought that getting a 3rd class medical would give him more privileges or less restrictions as a Sport Pilot.

EDIT: Just in case he comes back, I will add that if you let your 3rd class medical expire without getting a Private Certificate, you would have to renew your 3rd class medical if you later decided to get a Private. If you go ahead and get a Private Certificate now, you will never have to renew your 3rd class medical.
From what Brian says he was already flying as a Sport Pilot and presumably had the medical to support it albeit even a DL.
He seems to be saying that he wants to get a PPL and then let his new 3rd class medical lapse so that he can 'transition back' to take advantage of the new sport pilot rule'. Seems an odd thing to do and it seems he's somewhat confused.

Brian you said any input would be appreciated.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Targetbuster wrote:Hi Folks,

Brian, without all the BS. All the additional training will certainly make you a better pilot, but for it to do anything other than that you need to get your private pilot certificate. To do this you will need to take the PP knowledge test and pass the private pilot checkride. Until you take that step you are still a sport pilot, and would only be allowed to operate under sport pilot privileges.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Hey Brian,
This is off topic, so please forgive!
I noticed you hail from Sultan WA. I'm in Gig Harbor. I'm a bit curious as to where you went to get that Sport Pilot ticket. It seems like Arlington and Snohomish are the only places where anyone seriously offers that training in this state. And in Snohomish, it seems their Aeronca Champ taildragger (no heat, hand propped) is the trainer of choice :shock: . Please fill me in on how you made the jump from time builder to card carrier. Sense my frustration. I would just go for a PPL if it weren't for a restricted medical (Yeah, I screwed up and went for a 3rd class medical, failed, spent $$$ and months getting that corrected). The place where I was training required a 3rd Class Medical to solo their Skycatcher, even for Sport Pilot.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Dan, as often happens these threads go off course. You said that if it weren't for a restricted medical you would go for a private pilot certificate. I am curious as to what restriction on your medical would keep you from getting a private pilot certificate? As I understand the regulations as long as you hold a medical whether it is special issue or not you can still get a private pilot certificate.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

3Dreaming wrote:Dan, as often happens these threads go off course. You said that if it weren't for a restricted medical you would go for a private pilot certificate. I am curious as to what restriction on your medical would keep you from getting a private pilot certificate? As I understand the regulations as long as you hold a medical whether it is special issue or not you can still get a private pilot certificate.
Well, it goes like this: "Limitations - Not valid for night flying or by color signal control. Must wear corrective lenses." What it read initially was medical denied due to extreme visual impairment: Myopia, Amblyopia, Presbyopia, Astigmatism, red green deficiency, not correctable to 20-40 in both eyes. Luckily, I found a retired Navy Doctor who was willing to go the extra mile and help me with the exams, corrections and FAA paperwork. But he agreed with the AME that, at my age (65), renewing the medical in 2 years would be difficult. So I decided to go for SP as I have no desire to fly bigger planes or carry passengers anyway. Now with PBOR2, PPL or RPL could be a possibility.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

HAPPYDAN wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:Dan, as often happens these threads go off course. You said that if it weren't for a restricted medical you would go for a private pilot certificate. I am curious as to what restriction on your medical would keep you from getting a private pilot certificate? As I understand the regulations as long as you hold a medical whether it is special issue or not you can still get a private pilot certificate.
Well, it goes like this: "Limitations - Not valid for night flying or by color signal control. Must wear corrective lenses." What it read initially was medical denied due to extreme visual impairment: Myopia, Amblyopia, Presbyopia, Astigmatism, red green deficiency, not correctable to 20-40 in both eyes. Luckily, I found a retired Navy Doctor who was willing to go the extra mile and help me with the exams, corrections and FAA paperwork. But he agreed with the AME that, at my age (65), renewing the medical in 2 years would be difficult. So I decided to go for SP as I have no desire to fly bigger planes or carry passengers anyway. Now with PBOR2, PPL or RPL could be a possibility.
The limitation simply means you would not be able to act as pilot in command. You would still be able to get a private pilot certificate, since the required night time is instruction. I had a private pilot student who got his rating back in 2007 who has the same limitation on his medical. Because of greater availability aircraft for private pilot training you might be better off going that route before that medical expires. An added plus is that some of those airplanes are easier to learn to fly.