LSA Cleaning & Detailing Products

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Nomore767

Re: LSA Cleaning & Detailing Products

Post by Nomore767 »

ct4me wrote:Wash Wax All, from Aerocosmetics has been my product of choice. Spray/Wipe. Works GREAT. There are several products in the line.
http://washwax.com/
I use this stuff with great results. They have stuff of removing belly grease and stubborn spots. I find that if I do a little bit each time I fly, as well as remove the leading edge bugs, the airplane is in good shape most of the time.

Plexus has been excellent for windshield bugs and you only need a small amount.
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

roger lee wrote:Composi Clean PH neutral for the skin. saves the paint and composites.
Are you referring to the Super Spray Wax product?
Aviation Real Estate Broker
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Flocker wrote:
roger lee wrote:Composi Clean PH neutral for the skin. saves the paint and composites.
Are you referring to the Super Spray Wax product?
Can't speak for Roger, but I use the Composiclean spray wax, and the bucket wash when I wash the whole airplane.

If bugs are particularly gnarly on the leading edges, I will spray with Oil Eater, and then they just wipe off. Then go back over those areas again with the spray wax, since Oil Eater probably strips that wax off. My airplane has stayed shiny that way.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
drseti

Post by drseti »

I generally use motorcycle spray waxes and plexiglass cleaners. Same stuff as the aviation-specific products, at half the price.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

designrs wrote:One piece of advice. (Other opinions welcome.)
** Don't wash it! **
I found water and residue causes more problems than anything.
Spray and wipe cleaning products are best.
What kind of problems?
designrs

Post by designrs »

Water gets where it's not helpful or supposed to be. If it gets in the air vents it can make the carpets wet. Possible corrosion exposure. On some planes water can get under the cowling and cause problems with electric connections, such as those on the regulator. Water residue can leave all kinds of spotting on the paint and plexiglass. Etc. Spray and wipe products work just fine and no problems. They are also easy to regurally spot clean here and there, always keeping the plane in top shape.

I carefully washed my plane twice and regretted it... both times.
Never again!
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

I've washed the CTSW a few times. I've never had any problems. It's definitely important to watch where you spray the hose and how flaps, vents, etc are set to avoid water collecting where you don't want it. But on a CT at least, it doesn't seem to pose an issue.

Nothing wrong with just using spray products, but I would think it would be hard to get dust/pollen/grime off of everything that way. Or at least more time consuming. I use sprays 90% of the time, probably wash the plane once or twice a year.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

I've had my LSA for about 8.5 years and have bucket washed 2 times (I think) and haven't done it all in the last 5 years. My plane is very shiny as well :-)

I use my favorite spray product after every flight on the leading edges, wheel pants, prop and the belly and also wipe down obvious dirty spots elsewhere. Takes around 5 minutes as part of my post flight. Around once a year, I do complete prop to tail spray wash. Never need to pull out a bucket.
dave
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Based upon your experience, any recommendations on a good leather upholstery cleaner/dressing?
I have tried a couple products but have not been too impressed. I don't think I have found the right one yet. Any help appreciated.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Wm.Ince wrote:Based upon your experience, any recommendations on a good leather upholstery cleaner/dressing?
I have tried a couple products but have not been too impressed. I don't think I have found the right one yet. Any help appreciated.
My father is in the upholstery business, and swears by Lexol. I have used it and it work pretty good.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

3Dreaming wrote:My father is in the upholstery business, and swears by Lexol. I have used it and it work pretty good.
Thanks, I'll give it a try. :D
Bill Ince
LSRI
MackAttack

Post by MackAttack »

This is a great thread... a couple questions.

I get ComposiClean for composite surfaces; what about aluminum surfaces? Same product? WashWaxAll? Not quite sure I get a clear sense of the right exterior cleaning product for an all-metal aircraft.

Thanks!
Joel
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

MackAttack wrote:This is a great thread... a couple questions.

I get ComposiClean for composite surfaces; what about aluminum surfaces? Same product? WashWaxAll? Not quite sure I get a clear sense of the right exterior cleaning product for an all-metal aircraft.

Thanks!
Joel
Composiclean's website states it can be used on composite, aluminum, and fabric.

Ecoloqua

Post by Ecoloqua »

I used to be into highline cars, (lost plenty of money with that hobby along the way but thats another story). I used to love detailing my own cars and I can say that over the years I tried just about everything out there. I learned about a product from the guys in the Porsche club called Rejex. It comes in a bottle and goes on like wax but its not a wax its a polymer coating. Apparently the Porsche guys got it from the aviation guys who use it on thier planes. Although it does produce a great shine the real benefit is that it produces an incredibly slick surface that bugs have a hard time sticking to. I would use it on the my cars and it worked great especially during the summer months. Would last about 6 months and the bugs just didnt stick. Not to sound like a commercial but this stuff works. Another great line of products is Zaino brothers.
Believe it or not Ace Hardware used to carry it, not sure if they still do. I bought mine off Amazon but Sportys sells it to.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Ecoloqua wrote: . . . "Although it does produce a great shine the real benefit is that it produces an incredibly slick surface that bugs have a hard time sticking to. I would use it on the my cars and it worked great especially during the summer months. Would last about 6 months and the bugs just didnt stick." . . .
Based upon the reviews I have read (of Rejex), there wasn't too much difference between this product from regular car wax. Furthermore, some users thought it was overpriced for what you get. YMMV.
Bill Ince
LSRI