Aerotrek opinions?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

jjfjr

Aerotrek opinions?

Post by jjfjr »

Hi;

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Aerotrek A220 or A240 as an owner and/or pilot. They seem to be well built, have a good useful load and are at a reasonable price.

jjfjr
MrMorden

Re: Aerotrek opinions?

Post by MrMorden »

jjfjr wrote:Hi;

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Aerotrek A220 or A240 as an owner and/or pilot. They seem to be well built, have a good useful load and are at a reasonable price.

jjfjr
If it were me I'd find a nice Avid Flyer, and get the same airplane and pocket the $80k difference.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
drseti

Post by drseti »

All the Avid Flyers were licensed as E-AB. That means, unless you were the original builder and met the 51% rule, your annual inspection must be done by an A&P. One great advantage of building an ELSA version of the AeroTrek is that you can get a repairman certificate for it, by taking just 16 hours of training. And, an advantage of the SLSA version is that it can be used in flight instruction for hire. Otherwise, they are identical aircraft.
I maintain and occasionally fly an A220. Great flying aircraft, and easy to work on. If a taildragger made any business sense for my flight school, I'd probably have one on my flight line.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

drseti wrote:All the Avid Flyers were licensed as E-AB. That means, unless you were the original builder and met the 51% rule, your annual inspection must be done by an A&P. One great advantage of building an ELSA version of the AeroTrek is that you can get a repairman certificate for it, by taking just 16 hours of training. And, an advantage of the SLSA version is that it can be used in flight instruction for hire. Otherwise, they are identical aircraft.
I maintain and occasionally fly an A220. Great flying aircraft, and easy to work on. If a taildragger made any business sense for my flight school, I'd probably have one on my flight line.
I don't disagree, but you can find a less than 51% completed Avid kit if the repairman certificate is important to you.

$80k will buy a lot of annuals.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:All the Avid Flyers were licensed as E-AB. That means, unless you were the original builder and met the 51% rule, your annual inspection must be done by an A&P. One great advantage of building an ELSA version of the AeroTrek is that you can get a repairman certificate for it, by taking just 16 hours of training. And, an advantage of the SLSA version is that it can be used in flight instruction for hire. Otherwise, they are identical aircraft.
I'm sure you know this, but your wording was to clear. To apply for the repairman certificate you don't have to build 51% of the airplane. 51% of the airplane must be built for the purpose of education or recreation. To apply for the repairman certificate you must be the primary builder, but the FAA does not specify a required percentage.
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

MrMorden wrote:If it were me I'd find a nice Avid Flyer, and get the same airplane and pocket the $80k difference.
Care to explain how you came up with this number? The sticker price of Aerotrek is close to $90k. That implies that your mythical Avid is only $10k. That sounds very far-fetched to me, unless we're taking a beater with Rotax 582 -- I was able to find one of those for $12k. There's no way, in my experience, to find an Avid with a 912, even an 80 hp one, for anything less than $25k.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

zaitcev wrote:
MrMorden wrote:If it were me I'd find a nice Avid Flyer, and get the same airplane and pocket the $80k difference.
Care to explain how you came up with this number? The sticker price of Aerotrek is close to $90k. That implies that your mythical Avid is only $10k. That sounds very far-fetched to me, unless we're taking a beater with Rotax 582 -- I was able to find one of those for $12k. There's no way, in my experience, to find an Avid with a 912, even an 80 hp one, for anything less than $25k.
My buddy bought a used Avid for $12.5k, it has been a great airplane. Yes, it has a 582 on it. Add $20k for a brand new 912ULS and you are still ahead by $57.5k. I'm assuing the $90k you quoted is base price, the one I saw at Oshkosh was over $100k.

My analysis stands, even if the numbers are slightly off it's not by enough to change the situation. Using your $25k number I'm off by $5k-$15k. If you buy a mostly built airplane not quite flying, I bet you could close that gap quickly. IMO the Aerotrek is significantly overpriced for what it is.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
comperini

Post by comperini »

I've owned one since 2007. I like it. Admittedly, my sticker price was a lot less than $80K they want now, but what other SLSAs are out there for roughly that same amount?
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

The ICP Savannah.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

comperini wrote:I've owned one since 2007. I like it. Admittedly, my sticker price was a lot less than $80K they want now, but what other SLSAs are out there for roughly that same amount?
Probably few or none. If you want a "factory" airplane and want it new, you are going to pay for that. I was just noting that the Avid is functionally identical for much less money, IF you are willing to accept words like "amateur built" and "experimental" when applied to your airplane. :)
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI