Aerotrek opinions?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

jjfjr
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:25 pm

Aerotrek opinions?

Postby jjfjr » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:42 pm

Hi;

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Aerotrek A220 or A240 as an owner and/or pilot. They seem to be well built, have a good useful load and are at a reasonable price.

jjfjr

User avatar
MrMorden
Posts: 1733
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:28 am
Location: Athens, GA

Re: Aerotrek opinions?

Postby MrMorden » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:18 pm

jjfjr wrote:Hi;

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Aerotrek A220 or A240 as an owner and/or pilot. They seem to be well built, have a good useful load and are at a reasonable price.

jjfjr


If it were me I'd find a nice Avid Flyer, and get the same airplane and pocket the $80k difference.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA

User avatar
drseti
Posts: 5224
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:42 pm
Location: Lock Haven PA
Contact:

Re: Aerotrek opinions?

Postby drseti » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:29 am

All the Avid Flyers were licensed as E-AB. That means, unless you were the original builder and met the 51% rule, your annual inspection must be done by an A&P. One great advantage of building an ELSA version of the AeroTrek is that you can get a repairman certificate for it, by taking just 16 hours of training. And, an advantage of the SLSA version is that it can be used in flight instruction for hire. Otherwise, they are identical aircraft.
I maintain and occasionally fly an A220. Great flying aircraft, and easy to work on. If a taildragger made any business sense for my flight school, I'd probably have one on my flight line.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof. H. Paul Shuch, Ph.D., CFII, LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC, iRMT
AvSport of Lock Haven
fly@AvSport.org
http://AvSport.org
http://facebook.com/SportFlying

User avatar
MrMorden
Posts: 1733
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:28 am
Location: Athens, GA

Re: Aerotrek opinions?

Postby MrMorden » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:02 pm

drseti wrote:All the Avid Flyers were licensed as E-AB. That means, unless you were the original builder and met the 51% rule, your annual inspection must be done by an A&P. One great advantage of building an ELSA version of the AeroTrek is that you can get a repairman certificate for it, by taking just 16 hours of training. And, an advantage of the SLSA version is that it can be used in flight instruction for hire. Otherwise, they are identical aircraft.
I maintain and occasionally fly an A220. Great flying aircraft, and easy to work on. If a taildragger made any business sense for my flight school, I'd probably have one on my flight line.


I don't disagree, but you can find a less than 51% completed Avid kit if the repairman certificate is important to you.

$80k will buy a lot of annuals.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA

3Dreaming
Posts: 1992
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm
Location: noble, IL USA

Re: Aerotrek opinions?

Postby 3Dreaming » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:06 pm

drseti wrote:All the Avid Flyers were licensed as E-AB. That means, unless you were the original builder and met the 51% rule, your annual inspection must be done by an A&P. One great advantage of building an ELSA version of the AeroTrek is that you can get a repairman certificate for it, by taking just 16 hours of training. And, an advantage of the SLSA version is that it can be used in flight instruction for hire. Otherwise, they are identical aircraft.
I maintain and occasionally fly an A220. Great flying aircraft, and easy to work on. If a taildragger made any business sense for my flight school, I'd probably have one on my flight line.


I'm sure you know this, but your wording was to clear. To apply for the repairman certificate you don't have to build 51% of the airplane. 51% of the airplane must be built for the purpose of education or recreation. To apply for the repairman certificate you must be the primary builder, but the FAA does not specify a required percentage.

User avatar
zaitcev
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:38 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Aerotrek opinions?

Postby zaitcev » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:13 pm

MrMorden wrote:If it were me I'd find a nice Avid Flyer, and get the same airplane and pocket the $80k difference.

Care to explain how you came up with this number? The sticker price of Aerotrek is close to $90k. That implies that your mythical Avid is only $10k. That sounds very far-fetched to me, unless we're taking a beater with Rotax 582 -- I was able to find one of those for $12k. There's no way, in my experience, to find an Avid with a 912, even an 80 hp one, for anything less than $25k.

User avatar
MrMorden
Posts: 1733
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:28 am
Location: Athens, GA

Re: Aerotrek opinions?

Postby MrMorden » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:30 am

zaitcev wrote:
MrMorden wrote:If it were me I'd find a nice Avid Flyer, and get the same airplane and pocket the $80k difference.

Care to explain how you came up with this number? The sticker price of Aerotrek is close to $90k. That implies that your mythical Avid is only $10k. That sounds very far-fetched to me, unless we're taking a beater with Rotax 582 -- I was able to find one of those for $12k. There's no way, in my experience, to find an Avid with a 912, even an 80 hp one, for anything less than $25k.


My buddy bought a used Avid for $12.5k, it has been a great airplane. Yes, it has a 582 on it. Add $20k for a brand new 912ULS and you are still ahead by $57.5k. I'm assuing the $90k you quoted is base price, the one I saw at Oshkosh was over $100k.

My analysis stands, even if the numbers are slightly off it's not by enough to change the situation. Using your $25k number I'm off by $5k-$15k. If you buy a mostly built airplane not quite flying, I bet you could close that gap quickly. IMO the Aerotrek is significantly overpriced for what it is.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA

comperini
Posts: 206
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:37 am
Location: California

Re: Aerotrek opinions?

Postby comperini » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:47 pm

I've owned one since 2007. I like it. Admittedly, my sticker price was a lot less than $80K they want now, but what other SLSAs are out there for roughly that same amount?
- Bob
COMM, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com

3Dreaming
Posts: 1992
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm
Location: noble, IL USA

Re: Aerotrek opinions?

Postby 3Dreaming » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:49 pm

The ICP Savannah.

User avatar
MrMorden
Posts: 1733
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:28 am
Location: Athens, GA

Re: Aerotrek opinions?

Postby MrMorden » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:42 pm

comperini wrote:I've owned one since 2007. I like it. Admittedly, my sticker price was a lot less than $80K they want now, but what other SLSAs are out there for roughly that same amount?


Probably few or none. If you want a "factory" airplane and want it new, you are going to pay for that. I was just noting that the Avid is functionally identical for much less money, IF you are willing to accept words like "amateur built" and "experimental" when applied to your airplane. :)
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA


Return to “Light Sport Aircraft”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest