Headrests/Head support?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Cluemeister

Headrests/Head support?

Post by Cluemeister »

Just got back from the Expo in Sebring. Noticed on the low wing side of things, some seats had headrests (Bristell) and some did not (Sportcruiser). Is there a reason some planes have some and some don't?
drseti

Re: Headrests/Head support?

Post by drseti »

I had the low-back seats on my old (2006) SportStar, but high-back on my new one. Advantage: very comfortable. Disadvantages: reduced rear visibility, and you can't reach into the baggage compartment in flight.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

Thanks Paul. Didn't know if the manufacturers offered both styles, or if they pick one and run with it.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Quick take:

Headrests seem mainly designed to avoid whiplash-style injuries when a car is rear-ended.

Not too much of a danger of that in a plane.

IOW, I see them of limited utility in planes.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

I believe Ed is correct. The high back seats are mostly for the look. Tecnam had low seat backs in the Sierra but went to a foldable headrest in the Astore for a modern look while still allowing easy access to the baggage.

Mark