New to this...need help choosing an engine

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

MrMorden

Re: New to this...need help choosing an engine

Post by MrMorden »

Dnigolian wrote:
MrMorden wrote:
zaitcev wrote: If I wanted a 2-seat airplane, I would have to pay for Rotax or even a small ULpower (260i). I could consider AeroVee turbo if they ever put it on the market (after the death of Jeremy Monnett).
There are several Sonex flying with the Aerovee turbo. It can be bought here, cost is $10,999:

http://www.sonexaircraft.com/eshop/cart ... ory_id=329
Like it, but again may be more engine than I need. Just looking to be able to get off the water with 2 people. Beyond that I want fuel efficiency (for distance, not cost) and reliability. Guessing the turbo is less reliable than the non. I'll look into a "gently used" 912.
Honestly, I think that is your best bet. Water is draggy, and getting off with two people and less than 80hp would probably take more room than many lakes provide. A used 912ULS like the one I posted for $9500 is a better and more reliable engine at the same power as the turbo Aerovee is for $11k. BTW, there is no posted TBO for an Aerovee engine, but most require overhaul at 300-600 hours, vs the 912 TBO of 2000hrs. VW overhauls are much cheaper though.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Dnigolian

Post by Dnigolian »

The 80hp 912UL has a DIY turbo kit that's an upgrade from the 914. Ends up with 5 more hp (120) and with a more reliable turbo. Nice option if I ever upgrade planes to a 4 seater Zenair or Bearcat which may end up taking the lead here thanks to FAA LSA limitations.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dnigolian

Post by Dnigolian »

SportPilot wrote:
Dnigolian wrote:The 80hp 912UL has a DIY turbo kit that's an upgrade from the 914. Ends up with 5 more hp (120) and with a more reliable turbo. Nice option if I ever upgrade planes to a 4 seater Zenair or Bearcat which may end up taking the lead here thanks to FAA LSA limitations.
It's not an LSA limitation. It's a Sport Pilot limitation.
Sorry...rookie mistake I'm sure.
JimC

Post by JimC »

What does a 912 UL weigh with radiator and coolant?
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

JimC wrote:What does a 912 UL weigh with radiator and coolant?
Installed weight is about 140 pounds. The installations I am familiar with use 3/4 gallon of coolant, so that would be 6-7 pounds.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I concur with Tom's figure. The 912S series has the best power to weight ratio in its class. It is, however, a quirky engine that takes a little getting used to. After seven years, I can say I'm really enjoying the two I've owned, and have gotten used to the differences in a geared engine with a dry sump and cooled heads. But if you plan on owning a Rotax, I would encourage you to attend a Rotax Service Level course (and maybe buying Dean Vogel's DVD from Lockwood).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
JimC

Post by JimC »

So, about 133 pounds with radiator, oil cooler, and hoses, but no coolant?
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »