SportCruiser opinions

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

us sport aircraft

SportCruiser opinions

Post by us sport aircraft »

i'm interested in what owners and other pilots thoughts are on our aircraft. also I wanted to let any out there know. we are holding a best SportCruiser photo contest. Best picture wins $100 gift certificate, good for merchandise or parts at Us Sport Aircraft
designrs

Re: SportCruiser opinions

Post by designrs »

It is great to see US Sport Aircraft on this board. Welcome!
You will find a great Sport Pilot community here.

I first started flying the SportCruiser / PiperSport in 2010. Several years as a student and renter provided me with the opportunity to fly four of the aircraft and to see them in use in a heavy training environment. I flew the first trainer when it was brand new at 35 hours and watched it and other SportCruisers go to 2,000+ hours. I saw what the planes could take, and what they forgave in pilot errors. I liked that even two large people would not be shoulder to shoulder in the plane... and the range when flying solo. The styling always attracted me, and it usually attracts others on the ramp as well. These factors were strong reasons for buying the SportCruiser.

I will post some of the photos that I have taken here.
Patrick and all at US Sport Air: if you are seeking custom photos for PR in addition to the photo contest, you know where to find me.

The following photos were my first air-to-air photo shoot.
Being a student pilot at the time made it even more magical.

Cheers!
bank-C1-FA-3363-crop.jpg
bank-C1-FA-3363-crop.jpg (52.86 KiB) Viewed 9263 times
C2-FA-3641-V1b.jpg
C2-FA-3641-V1b.jpg (64.49 KiB) Viewed 9263 times
C2-FA-3641-V1b-tight.jpg
C2-FA-3641-V1b-tight.jpg (57.89 KiB) Viewed 9263 times
drseti

Post by drseti »

Given your photographic skill and experience, Richard, you should be a shoe-in to win that contest!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
us sport aircraft

Post by us sport aircraft »

Richard, Thank you for your input. Im glad to be a part of the board too, I plan to be very active on here. i really want to engage our SportCruiser owners and maybe make some new ones. i will definitely put you in the running. what an awesome set of in-flight shots!!!
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

I got a couple of hours in a SportCruiser. They are roomy, well built airplanes. I did think it was a little "twitchy", especially in pitch. However that's almost certainly something that the pilot would get used to and develop a feel for proper control inputs. I just didn't fly it long enough to get the feel down. I didn't over control it, but I was very aware of how sensitive the controls were.

It's also an airplane the rewards speed control on landing. Too fast and it really wants to float, it's got a lot of lift in those big wings. It didn't seem to want to come down quite as quickly as some other LSA when the power is pulled out.

Oh, and I thought the ratcheting throttle was a little odd.

Nothing wrong with the SportCruiser. If it appeals to you, go for it!
Last edited by MrMorden on Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
drseti

Post by drseti »

My impression of the Sport Cruiser parallels Andy's, based upon a small sample size of four aircraft flown, with maybe 10 hours in type.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
designrs

Post by designrs »

Sensitivity In Pitch: Yes the SportCruiser is sensitive in pitch. I've flown PiperSport and 2011 updated SportCruiser (1st model revision after Piper when they firmed up the pitch feel SLIGHTLY.) Can't speak for 2015 and current models as I have not flown them.

Pitch In Flight: One quickly adapts to the pressure sensitivity.

Pitch In Flare and Landing: Pitch sensitivity is almost telepathic in the flare. It is very easy to balloon. Anyone transitioning will probably need to spend some time on this. Many times the best option is just to add a little power, fly it a bit more, and then settle it back down.

Coming Down Power Off: Never thought of it as not wanting to come down quickly. Andy's impression is understandable. Max flaps are 30 degrees. I'll post a descent feet/minute spec here shortly. An aggressive slip comes in handy sometimes.

Speed Control On Landing: It never seemed to overly inclined float to me. Andy is right though, speed control is rewarded.

Paul: I believe the SportStar is more inclined to float. What is your impression?

Ratchet Throttle: One of my favorite parts of the aircraft! It just feels so cool!! :lol:
gmohr

Post by gmohr »

I know this is an old post, but I did the majority of my Sport Pilot training in a Sport Cruiser.
N187SF at the now defunct Atlanta Sport Flight. Ended up transitioning to a Remos G3-600
and later my own Arion Lightning. Now I am back in the market and training for upgrade to
Private. Still what a memory, 6-22-2010, the day I solo'd. Now I am retired and 40lbs lighter.

Gene Mohr
Sport Pilot Upgrading to Private
180hrs and counting
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

gmohr wrote:N187SF at the now defunct Atlanta Sport Flight.
Just curious, what happened to them?
Aviation Real Estate Broker
gmohr

Post by gmohr »

The owner is a Delta pilot and hired instructors who were building time. They apparently ran out of instructors
sold the Sport Cruiser and bought an Alto. Not sure what happened to that.
Gene Mohr
Sport Pilot Upgrading to Private
180hrs and counting
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

gmohr wrote:I know this is an old post, but I did the majority of my Sport Pilot training in a Sport Cruiser.
N187SF at the now defunct Atlanta Sport Flight.
On our way back from Cedar Key yesterday, the ATIS at my home field stated that runway 21L was closed. As I am on final for 21R, I could see that there was a plane in the grass off of the end of 21L being hoisted onto a flatbed truck. As we were tying down, they drove by us and I could see it was N187SF. From what I heard, it was an engine failure on takeoff and the guy survived.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Flocker

Post by Flocker »

designrs wrote:NTSB preliminary:
Sounds like he made the impossible turn. What's the turn around altitude in the Sport Cruiser? I know it can be done from 500' in the a 162.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Not too impossible if he walked away I guess. :)

Survival of the airplane is not required for success, IMO.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA