Pilot's Bill Of Rights Changes; Medicals Required For Some

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

N918KT

Re: Pilot's Bill Of Rights Changes; Medicals Required For So

Post by N918KT »

designrs wrote: Where did the original requirement of a medical for non-commercial private pilots come from anyway??
When did that start?
I believe medical certification for all pilots started with the Air Commerce Act of 1926. Prior to this, aviation in the U.S. was not regulated. This act not only required medical certification for pilots but has everything to do with certification of pilots and aircraft and increasing safety in aviation.
Jack Tyler

Re: Pilot's Bill Of Rights Changes; Medicals Required For So

Post by Jack Tyler »

" If the pilot does well with a comprehensive medical..."
"The only big question is: what does a "comprehensive review" look like?"

That's where seeing the actual language in the bill will help everyone, us included, better understand these changes. But my guess: the bill's language will remain about as vague as the press releases make it sound, and the Administrator will be left to define 'comprehensive'.

I notice the bill language has not been updated to reflect his remarks (https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-con ... l/571/text). More surprising, Imhofe's own website lists 4 pages of sponsored bills - there are 27 pages of bills he's co-sponsored - but all for the 113th Session. S.571 is proposed during the 114th Session. Sure tough to be a concerned citizen and stay informed...
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org