Bloomberg Video & Article on ICON A5 in NYC

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

c162pilot

Bloomberg Video & Article on ICON A5 in NYC

Post by c162pilot »

Nice video footage of the ICON A5 flying around NYC last week and landing on the Hudson River.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... -buy-today

Looks to me like ICON is trying to entice the Wall Street Hedge Fund crowd to buy a new toy to complement their Mclaren's and Lamborghini's.

Since I commute regularly to San Jose for work and the new ICON factory in Vacaville CA is not a long drive from where I work, I have already been in touch with ICON about touring their new factory in the new year. Will report on what I learn if and when I get to tour the factory.
spooky981

Re: Bloomberg Video & Article on ICON A5 in NYC

Post by spooky981 »

I have a soft spot for the A5. I read about it in a Gizmodo article, and one week later I was at Chesapeake Sport Pilot taking a discovery flight. Here I am a Light Sport Pilot.

I know its not the smartest LSA purchase out there. Lots of other planes have much better value. But like the iPhone I believe it'll change the way manufacturers look at building LSAs. The weight exemption, the aesthetics, the spin resistant airframe...

Can't say if Icon will make it in the long run. But I do believe they'll leave a mark on the industry.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

The Icon A5 looks like a really good idea, especially so for recreational flyers here in the Puget Sound area. For the well-heeled, it would be almost as versatile as a helicopter but much more cost effective. We have numerous island-based resorts, some plush, others rustic- many salt water State parks only accessible by water, and many fresh water lakes large enough to easily accommodate a float plane all within a 100 mile radius of Seattle. I think Icon would be well-advised to aggressively market here, but so far, I seem to be the only one that's even heard of it. Unfortunately, the price tag (+/- $240K now?) puts it well out of my reach.
Vlad

Post by Vlad »

I was minding my own evening business on Sept 14th in my RV over the Hudson when I heard and saw these guys. A flight of three in a nice-n-tight formation (2 Icons and a heli) by the Statue of Liberty at 700'. I dipped the wing and took a quick look no time for camera. The formation flashed underneath and turned toward East River. They asked LGA for a Central Park route. Good looking crafts impressive flying skills. I wish them success.