Stall Warning Horn

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

BrianL99
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:23 pm

Stall Warning Horn

Postby BrianL99 » Mon May 25, 2015 6:59 pm

I'm sure this has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't find the thread.

Are there any S-LSA's that come with a stall warning horn? Why are they not required?

As I was landing today, I was thinking about how much I liked hearing the stall warning start, as I was about to land my Cirrus. I miss it.

User avatar
MrMorden
Posts: 1733
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:28 am
Location: Athens, GA

Re: Stall Warning Horn

Postby MrMorden » Mon May 25, 2015 7:37 pm

BrianL99 wrote:I'm sure this has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't find the thread.

Are there any S-LSA's that come with a stall warning horn? Why are they not required?

As I was landing today, I was thinking about how much I liked hearing the stall warning start, as I was about to land my Cirrus. I miss it.


Largely unneeded, many experimental so don't have them either. In most LSA you'd have to be kind of asleep at the switch to get into a steal without knowing it.

If you miss it, I'd look into installing an AoA system with an audible tone. It's more accurate than a traditional stall horn, and easier to retrofit.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA

BrianL99
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:23 pm

Re: Stall Warning Horn

Postby BrianL99 » Mon May 25, 2015 7:39 pm

MrMorden wrote:
BrianL99 wrote:I'm sure this has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't find the thread.

Are there any S-LSA's that come with a stall warning horn? Why are they not required?

As I was landing today, I was thinking about how much I liked hearing the stall warning start, as I was about to land my Cirrus. I miss it.


Largely unneeded, many experimental so don't have them either. In most LSA you'd have to be kind of asleep at the switch to get into a steal without knowing it.

If you miss it, I'd look into installing an AoA system with an audible tone. It's more accurate than a traditional stall horn, and easier to retrofit.


I've looked into AoA systems and couldn't find anything was very reasonable to install.

User avatar
MrMorden
Posts: 1733
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:28 am
Location: Athens, GA

Re: Stall Warning Horn

Postby MrMorden » Mon May 25, 2015 8:04 pm

BrianL99 wrote:
MrMorden wrote:
BrianL99 wrote:I'm sure this has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't find the thread.

Are there any S-LSA's that come with a stall warning horn? Why are they not required?

As I was landing today, I was thinking about how much I liked hearing the stall warning start, as I was about to land my Cirrus. I miss it.


Largely unneeded, many experimental so don't have them either. In most LSA you'd have to be kind of asleep at the switch to get into a steal without knowing it.

If you miss it, I'd look into installing an AoA system with an audible tone. It's more accurate than a traditional stall horn, and easier to retrofit.


I've looked into AoA systems and couldn't find anything was very reasonable to install.


Really? Most systems just need a second pitot line and some kind of control until that both lines go to. A Dynon glass panel can act as the head unit.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA

User avatar
FastEddieB
Posts: 2137
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:33 pm
Location: Mineral Bluff, GA

Re: Stall Warning Horn

Postby FastEddieB » Mon May 25, 2015 9:17 pm

My Sky Arrow has a stall warning horn. If you've watched any of my landing videos you've heard it.

The actual horn is the same as in a Cessna 150 and has a Cessna part number.

Mine goes off way too early to be much use, even after a small mod which did help a tiny bit.

Neither of my Citabrias had stall warning horns, nor did I feel like they were missed.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
FastEddieB@mac.com

User avatar
drseti
Posts: 5224
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:42 pm
Location: Lock Haven PA
Contact:

Re: Stall Warning Horn

Postby drseti » Tue May 26, 2015 7:33 am

I have mixed feelings about stall warning horns and lights. I suppose they have saved a life or two, but they are electrical or mechanical systems, and such a system can fail. The pilot who only knows that a stall is imminent by a horn or light is in for a rude awakening if waiting for a warning that never comes. My primary trainer has no stall warning other then the slight buffet when flow separation begins, and I think that's a good thing. If the studentry is taught to feel the buffet and recover, he or she will learn to be at one with the aircraft. It's a very Zen thing. Just as the student shouldn't be dependent on the inclinometer ("be the ball"), so should the student learn to be the stall warning device.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof. H. Paul Shuch, Ph.D., CFII, LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC, iRMT
AvSport of Lock Haven
fly@AvSport.org
http://AvSport.org
http://facebook.com/SportFlying

User avatar
FastEddieB
Posts: 2137
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:33 pm
Location: Mineral Bluff, GA

Re: Stall Warning Horn

Postby FastEddieB » Tue May 26, 2015 8:20 am

drseti wrote:I have mixed feelings about stall warning horns and lights. I suppose they have saved a life or two, but they are electrical or mechanical systems, and such a system can fail. The pilot who only knows that a stall is imminent by a horn or light is in for a rude awakening if waiting for a warning that never comes.


I video'd a landing in my Cirrus where the stick was just about all the way back - my goal most of the time is to land as slowly as possible. I noticed in the video, there was no horn - odd.

Somehow I had missed this, probably repeatedly, on my preflights:

Image

Some mud daubers or something had started a nest. I had no idea how long the stall warning had been out, or how long it would have taken me to be aware had I not noticed it on the video - a form of "change blindness", I think.

BTW, here's the mod I did to slightly lower the speed where my Sky Arrow horn comes on:

Image
Fast Eddie B.

Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA

FastEddieB@mac.com

User avatar
deltafox
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Stall Warning Horn

Postby deltafox » Wed May 27, 2015 8:55 am

NTSB Identification:http://ntsb.gov/about/employment/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20130519X61317&ntsbno=WPR13FA236&akey=1WPR13FA236

"The wing exhibited leading edge crushing throughout its span. The outboard portion of the wing exhibited approximate 30-degree crushing from the landing light outboard to the wingtip. The left aileron remained attached via all of its mounts. The left flap remained attached to the wing via all of its mounts. The stall switch from the left wing was intact and displaced from the wing with impact damage noted. The switch functioned mechanically, however, would not function electrically. "

I wonder if it worked and if so would it have made a difference.
Dave

HAPPYDAN
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:49 am

Re: Stall Warning Horn

Postby HAPPYDAN » Thu May 28, 2015 9:51 am

The Cessna 162 has a stall warning horn, and for me, 10 hours and counting, I think it's a pretty good idea. It reminds me to check airspeed if I get too slow on landing approaches.

Merlinspop
Posts: 969
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:48 pm
Location: WV Eastern Panhandle

Re: Stall Warning Horn

Postby Merlinspop » Thu May 28, 2015 10:10 am

Carbon Cubs have them.

I understand the need (or desire) for a horn, but I always found them more annoying than anything. Okay, so they're great when doing stalls and flying at minimum controllable airspeed at altitude. It's fun chugging along with the horn blaring. But when you're in that sublime moment inches above the runway, airspeed bleeding off and just about to hear two simultaneous chirps, the last thing I want to hear is the damn horn going off to kill the enjoyment.

It sort of reminds me of having a toddler knocking on the (locked) bedroom door at just the wrong moment and saying "Mommy? Are you in there? I want a drink of water!!"
- Bruce


Return to “Light Sport Aircraft”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests