Odd thing that happened today

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

FastEddieB

Re: Odd thing that happened today

Post by FastEddieB »

VL Roberts wrote:
If the RV electrical system is set up like your CT schematic , if an engine start was attempted with the avionics master switch on, wouldn't the avionics experience a voltage drop when starting?
First...

OOPS! Brain fart.

I thought we were talking about a CT. Probably confused as I'm back and forth a lot to the CT forum.

Yes, voltage would drop to some extent across the system on engine start. I think that's unavoidable unless the avionics have a separate power source.

But switching both ignitions off momentarily should not have caused a big drop.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

FastEddieB wrote:
VL Roberts wrote:
. . . "voltage would drop to some extent across the system on engine start. I think that's unavoidable unless the avionics have a separate power source." . . .
But if the voltage dropped enough on engine start, the SV backup would take up the SV load, until enough gen voltage was produced to start charging the SV backup battery again.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Wm.Ince wrote: But if the voltage dropped enough on engine start, the SV backup would take up the SV load, until enough gen voltage was produced to start charging the SV backup battery again.
Sure. But even so check out the original post. No mention of a hard start - just a momentary loss of ignition, corrected almost immediately.

I'm still thinking coincidence.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
VL Roberts

Post by VL Roberts »

FastEddieB wrote:
Wm.Ince wrote: But if the voltage dropped enough on engine start, the SV backup would take up the SV load, until enough gen voltage was produced to start charging the SV backup battery again.
Sure. But even so check out the original post. No mention of a hard start - just a momentary loss of ignition, corrected almost immediately.

I'm still thinking coincidence.
I'm not an expert, but I don't think it is a coincidence. Normal starts would be with the Avionics masters with off to avoid a power surge. I would assume the DYNON is powered by a small battery ( seperate circuit from ignition) during start up. After start up , Avionics master switch is on and now the DYNON is powered by the electrical system. If the key is turned off then on with the Avionics master switch on that could screw things up.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

SportPilot wrote:Howard, in the event of a total system failure, you can fly the RV12 totally "seat of the pants" if you stay out of the clouds. A good navigation backup is really all you need. The 740 would be a good, cost effective option for a second screen as well as backup.
Jim, agree up to a point. The navigation part is important especially away from home base. Having sectional info means being able to talk (if the radio is good) and like you say the rest 'can' be done. Hey I did it yesterday!

I'm going to look at iPad first. My Bad Elf has the lightning connection and today worked well on my iPhone using Foreflight although it draws a lot of power. Couldn't reach my charger that was in the RV's glove box in flight :(
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

UPDATE

I flew the plane today as I was meeting my mechanic anyway, who is not an avionics guy unfortunately.

Before I did anything I booted up Skyview and everything was normal. I went into the diagnostics area and downloaded the last hour's flight onto the USB.

Everything was normal with Skyview start up and engine start. Took off and flew for 15 minutes….then….got a big red X on the screen and an ADHRS Fail warning. This quickly went away and Skyview rebooted. Rest of the flight was normal…except…in the flare as the stall warning started to squeal..Skyview went blank.
As I taxiied in it rebooted and was normal at shutdown.

Talked about it with mechanic and he feels it's not related to my clumsy finger momentarily switching off both ignition modules. BTW I have a key to turn to start engine but the 'magnetos' are actually two ignition modules set side by side.

On the leg home everything went completely normal. No issues at all. At the hangar I went into diagnostics but it asked if I wanted to override the previous file and as I hadn't sent it to Dynon yet I decided to wait and do it before the next flight.

When I got home I had an e-mail reply from Dynon Support. They suggested looking at the serial number as 2010-2013 units had a bad circuit board installed. I called them and told the guy I spoke with that my plane was new in July 2014 and I assume its one of the later units that had the fix installed. He said it might be due to a bad ADHRS but they'll look at the diagnostic file which I just uploaded to Support. He said the file will have the serial# in the upload, so I guess we'll see.
I 'may' have to take the unit out and send it to Dynon but first we're going to see what the file shows and I'll try and get the last hour I flew today uploaded next time I go to the plane and that should have the ADHRS FAIL incident as well as the shut-down in the flare.

Apart from all this…it was a nice couple of days to fly although I only got a couple of hours!
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Jim,

I've looked at the 740. As a primary I think it's pretty good. I'd like to see one in action.

I'm leaning towards an iPad Air for the bigger screen, light weight, anti-glare screen. I have a Bad Elf which is simple to use and works well. I already have a Foreflight subscription and really like the quality and features. I already have it on my iPhone for planning but it's a bit small for me in the air.
I'm thinking of adding the synthetic vision option which would add GPS derived altitude and speed as well as GPS tracking. For an extra $25 that's not bad. For me it's a back-up not primary. The iPhone would backup the iPad.

Not really a fan of mounts and wires but then I would be if I really needed it, like I did the other day!

Talking to the mechanic yesterday he said a hangar neighbor at my last field had found a hangar somewhere (trying to find out) and he had some connection problems with his older Dynon unit. perhaps some dust or moisture, Since we were a couple of planes apart in the hangar it could be the source of my issue with Skyview.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I find the iPad Mini form factor more suitable for general cockpit use, but if there's room for an Air, go for it.

Actually, next cross country I'm going to see if my iPhone 6+ is adequate.

As and aside, for anything more than a local flight my devices get plugged into ship power.

Oh, and rather than just clamping my iPhone with a RAM arm as pictured, I attached a RAM ball to my Otterbox belt clip.

Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Jim,

I like the idea of being able to take the unit with me. I've found Foreflight to be excellent for updates and operation.
Dynon just came out with $35 thing that plugs into the Skyview USB to connect wirelessly with Foreflight to transpose flight plans etc. have to say though that for me a 'flight plan' is usually a dog-leg around airspace or it's direct. I try to keep it simple, and less costly.
I do like the mini size mounted on the panel but the Air has a reduced glare screen which would be good in the bubble canopy
Eddie,

I like the way you have the mini clipped to the mount. Putting it on the side of the canopy would work for me. I might do that for mu iPhone 6 since the smaller size isn't so good on my aging vision.
In the RV-12 the right side of the panel is bare except for the glove box. I'd thought of mounting the iPad Air there, slightly angled towards me. I figure the bigger presentation from a bit further away would be better than the mini, although the mini does fit well on that part of the panel. My wife has a mini so I might sneak it and check it out!
I would be able to plug it into the power outlets between the seats so the wires would be too cumbersome.

Still think the Sky Arrow cockpit looks like a military fighter. Do you sound effects when you fly? :mrgreen:
A guy I flew with had an SNJ with pneumatic 'guns'. He loved to beat up the local field workers in NJ and strafe tractors etc
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

My full-sized iPad fits fine in the CTSW, and I like the larger screen. But not all cockpits are big enough for it.

Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

MrMorden wrote:My full-sized iPad fits fine in the CTSW, and I like the larger screen. But not all cockpits are big enough for it.

No reason why you can't go anyplace with that setup.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator