E10 Unleaded Auto-Gas: My Big Mistake as LSA Owner!

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Jack Tyler

Re: E10 Unleaded Auto-Gas: My Big Mistake as LSA Owner!

Post by Jack Tyler »

"The only other thing I can think of is..."

Rich, one thing you haven't mentioned and may not have considered is that not every Sting is built out of the same drum of materials or in exactly the same manner by the same people. Who's to say a supplier didn't provide what was claimed to be a 'suitable substitute' at one time or another, or the builder shifted to a different supplier for pricing, availability or delivery reasons? Or perhaps the workers misjudged the ratios when mixing the materials for your tanks. It's unlikely every Sting is the mirror image of each of its kin.

I feel your California pain, being a CA native from back in the day when we had half the population and one of the best and most affordable public school systems - elementary through graduate degrees - in the nation. But things change, as should our expectations. Good luck with your research; you seem like the kind of guy who can 'get to the bottom of your tank' issue.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

SportPilot wrote:No, I will not. These aviation forums are aviation forums, not right-wing propaganda. I can give you several reasons I would like to leave the SE USA.
But what you do is take an aviation topic and STEER it to politics, by taking vocal offense to every offhand comment about anything related to government as part of the vast right-wing conspiracy. If you really want to keep things on topic, just let it go man.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

Good points, Jack (about potential resin variability). More reason to really take a close look at what the debris actually is.--R

(In addition, that "E10 is OK" language in the POH 1st appeared in 2009; my airplane was built in 2007. Did they change composites about that time?)
Last edited by drdehave on Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

SportPilot wrote:
MrMorden wrote:
SportPilot wrote:No, I will not. These aviation forums are aviation forums, not right-wing propaganda. I can give you several reasons I would like to leave the SE USA.
But what you do is take an aviation topic and STEER it to politics, by taking vocal offense to every offhand comment about anything related to government as part of the vast right-wing conspiracy. If you really want to keep things on topic, just let it go man.
No, that's not how it happens. There are a lot of right-wingers on these sites and few liberals. The right-wingers frequently take pot shots and when I respond, as the sole liberal willing to speak out, I get accused of taking topics political. I'm putting you on ignore. I suggest you do the same for me.
drdehave wrote:. . . "...living in the most regulated, government-oppressed state in the nation," . . .
Sporty,

Just out of curiosity, in the original post, by drdehave, what did you find so "right wing?"
I thought the comments were pretty generalized in nature.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

SportPilot wrote:"Ah, lots of more good questions and nice "bait" boys, but...living in the most regulated, government-oppressed state in the nation, I better not go further discussing them, you know? You better just imagine how that mini-fuel-tanker is being used."

This is "right-wing" speak. I wouldn't expect you to have a problem with it.
That sounds like a personal attack on me.
Do you really mean it that way?
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bottleworks

Post by bottleworks »

(I'm gone. Everything deleted! Can't stand the ignorant data spread here).
Last edited by bottleworks on Fri May 08, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Rich,

Do you filter the pure.gas fuel when you refuel?

I've got a Mr.Funnel which I've used for this a few times, not every time I admit. So far I've not seen anything bad when I've taken samples from the gascolator.
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

MrMorden wrote:
SportPilot wrote:Why do you feel compelled to follow behind me and comment on everything I say? I made a simple request. If you don't like what I have to say, why don't you just ignore it? Nobody was talking to you.
Not everything you say. Just the 90% that is pure, belligerent trolling.

Why don't you just ignore the "right wing" comments? Nobody was talking to YOU, either.

Goose, meet gander.
We need a "Like" button for posts.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

The new fuel trailer has a commercial filter, so it's not coming in with the gas that way, i,e, w/ the new Pure-Gas.

Before, I have always used a Mr. Filter, when the E10 from local gas stations came in, in Jaz Jugs--all 5,000 gallons of it.

When I used to "sump" just a small quantity into one of those gas-tester-tubes, I often found a lot of beads and flakes getting to the gascolater--and almost clogging it completely!
That's when I started sumping mason-jar-fulls--to ensure getting all the flakes and beads out each morning--so they wouldn't ever make it to the gascolator.

Yes, pictures of the offending "stuff" are next on the agenda, if it keeps coming.

I still wonder about those Jaz Jugs--if they could be "melting," and thus the source. They do have some "acne" spots inside.

Anyway, yesterday I flew 3 hours on Pure-Gas, and it felt good!

PS/ I almost forgot: This afternoon, I am draining the tank and going in there for a look with a scope! I once had a boat that used to "puke" pieces of cloth from the bilge drain-hole. Then, when I finally had to replace the gas tank from E10 usage, I found the culprit: Somebody's shirt was laminated between the gas tank and hull! I likely won't find anything that gross, but it's worth a look, anyway.

(Thanks for the "Delete" button, Admin.)

Last edited by drdehave on Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Rich:

"... that "E10 is OK" language in the POH 1st appeared in 2009; my airplane was built in 2007. Did they change composites about that time?"

You may have found your culprit, I'm sorry to say. It took a while for recreational groups like boaters and LSA owners to begin howling about the effects of ethanol in gasoline and much of the anguish - and manufacturers changing to materials and sealants more resistant to ethanol - surfaced during that 2-year period you mention. (The chronology is e.g. itemized here: http://www.fuel-testers.com/ethanol_fuel_history.html)

I don't think I'd be as motivated to get pics of the particles as I would pictures of the tank interiors, well lighted. Usually not easy to do, I realize.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.