Garmin 696 Baud Rate

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

BrianL99

Garmin 696 Baud Rate

Post by BrianL99 »

Who knows something about the 696 output?

I've had to mess with the settings on my TruTrak PFD and while I'm playing with settings, I want to make sure my Garmin and the TruTrak are properly set for communication.

This is what TruTrak told me:

Baud rate depends on the setting. NMEA In/NMEA Out needs 4800.
Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out needs 9600.

Which means exactly nothing to me. Can anyone explain what that means?

Or tell me what the Garmin should be set at for "output" and how the TruTrak should be set for "incoming" ?

Thanks
MrMorden

Re: Garmin 696 Baud Rate

Post by MrMorden »

BrianL99 wrote:Who knows something about the 696 output?

I've had to mess with the settings on my TruTrak PFD and while I'm playing with settings, I want to make sure my Garmin and the TruTrak are properly set for communication.

This is what TruTrak told me:

Baud rate depends on the setting. NMEA In/NMEA Out needs 4800.
Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out needs 9600.

Which means exactly nothing to me. Can anyone explain what that means?

Or tell me what the Garmin should be set at for "output" and how the TruTrak should be set for "incoming" ?

Thanks
My 496 is connected to a TruTrak AP, I believe the data rate is set at 9600 on the Garmin. As long as you set the data rate on the TruTrak the same as the GPS, I'd think it would work.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA