What's to come in Skyview

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Wm.Ince

What's to come in Skyview

Post by Wm.Ince »

Looks like Dynon is preparing Skyview users for wireless software updates.
Perhaps Bluetooth will follow. That would be cool.
Imagine the possibilities, if your iPad could communicate with your Skyview.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (47.82 KiB) Viewed 5954 times
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Nomore767

Re: What's to come in Skyview

Post by Nomore767 »

Bill,

Have you downloaded the new Dynon update 12.0?

I looked at some of the new items and as usual it's quite extensive. I should now be able to operate auto-trim on my auto-pilot! Not a biggie as I rarely use it.

I waited when the last update came out, as Vans reviews it and looks for 'issues' with the RV-12 SLSA and when they've 'de-bugged it' offer a download from Vans' site. I did this last time and found that they'd done a real good job with it. No problems with the upload.

I'm currently trying to get up the nerve to (gulp) edit the EMS screen and possibly move a widget or two, maybe add one and check a max temp on the CHT and then possibly rename it to 'coolant' or similar (due to a recent Rotax S/B). Not hugely difficult I don't think but just haven't done it before. Waiting for the 'don't touch that' and 'you shouldn't do that' voice from the nice lady.

On top of this my wife just got us an iPhone 6 each and the old noggin is starting to ache!
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Jim, I've no idea!
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Wm.Ince wrote:Looks like Dynon is preparing Skyview users for wireless software updates.
From the screen you show here , to edit EMS, I'd tab down to EMS, then across to screen set up? Not sure which buttons get you to this screen. I usually push right two to do an update.

I've seen a You-tube where they edited the EMS. I bleive whatever you do isn't 'done' until you hit save so I guess you can preview your change.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Nomore767 wrote:. . . "I looked at some of the new items and as usual it's quite extensive. I should now be able to operate auto-trim on my auto-pilot!
For folks having electric trim, like the RV-12, in order for the "automatic trim" to operate with the autopilot, the "Dynon AP Control Panel" must be installed. It provides the trim commands to Skyview and the servos. The cost is reasonable, but it is one more thing to buy, besides taking up additional panel space.

My 3 favorite things with system 12.0 are:

1) Autopilot auto-trim
2) OBS mode (option of selecting a variable CDI course off of a GPS point). It's just like using the OBS on a VOR.
3) Autopilot trim advice on the roll axis (just like the pitch trim advice on previous versions of Skyview).
$) Airborne magnetic calibration routine

In addition to that, there are 36 more improvements to Skyview from the previous version 11.1.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Wm.Ince wrote:
Nomore767 wrote:. . . "I looked at some of the new items and as usual it's quite extensive. I should now be able to operate auto-trim on my auto-pilot!
For folks having electric trim, like the RV-12, in order for the "automatic trim" to operate with the autopilot, the "Dynon AP Control Panel" must be installed. It provides the trim commands to Skyview and the servos. The cost is reasonable, but it is one more thing to buy, besides taking up additional panel space.

My 3 favorite things with system 12.0 are:

1) Autopilot auto-trim
2) OBS mode (option of selecting a variable CDI course off of a GPS point). It's just like using the OBS on a VOR.
3) Autopilot trim advice on the roll axis (just like the pitch trim advice on previous versions of Skyview).
$) Airborne magnetic calibration routine

In addition to that, there are 36 more improvements to Skyview from the previous version 11.1.
I have both the Dynon A/P panel and the knob panel (Baro, speed, altitude select). Hopefully it'll work okay!
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Wm.Ince wrote:Looks like Dynon is preparing Skyview users for wireless software updates.
Bill,

What sequence of buttons did you push to get the set-up page?
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Nomore767 wrote:
Wm.Ince wrote:For folks having electric trim, like the RV-12, in order for the "automatic trim" to operate with the autopilot, the "Dynon AP Control Panel" must be installed. It provides the trim commands to Skyview and the servos. The cost is reasonable, but it is one more thing to buy, besides taking up additional panel space.
I have both the Dynon A/P panel and the knob panel (Baro, speed, altitude select). Hopefully it'll work okay!
I'd say you are all set then.
Enjoy . . . your new toy is even better than the day you bought it! . . . :D
Bill Ince
LSRI
bottleworks

Post by bottleworks »

(I'm gone. Everything deleted! Can't stand the ignorant data spread here).
Last edited by bottleworks on Fri May 08, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

bottleworks wrote:
Nomore767 wrote:What sequence of buttons did you push to get the set-up page?
Hold down buttons 7 & 8 to enter setup.
Thanks!

I've been doing Dynon software updates and had been using the # 7 & * buttons. I just haven't paid enough attention yet to realise what else was there. I had thought 'setup' was for initial installation but now see you can edit different parts of Skyview.

I found this video:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24Ox-ud72II

Which explains a lot plus I got off my butt and started to delve into the Skyview installation manual (which I didn't know I had!) and that's helped too. It's a learning curve.
However, I think I'm ready to have a go at it next time I'm down at the hangar so we'll see.

Again, thanks!