Stereotypes about LSAs: True, False, or both?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Merlinspop

Re: Stereotypes about LSAs: True, False, or both?

Post by Merlinspop »

designrs wrote:
MrMorden wrote:That said, the CT is pretty darn roomy. The Sportcruiser is as well. Sounds like the Bristell even ups the ante a little.
Bristell is slight wider than the SportCruiser. What you notice most though is the semi-reclined seating position in the Bristell, the high-back seats, and the ergonomic updates. Seat cushions can be placed behind the seat back for a more upright position. Rudder pedals are adjustable. Both planes can accommodate people well over 6 feet tall. I know of one gentleman that appeared to be about 6'5 and flew the SportCruiser!
I'm 6'3" and about 225 and I was quite comfortable in the SportCruiser. I think Dana and I might have bumped shoulders a bit, but it certainly wasn't an "overlap" situation.
- Bruce
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

CTLSi wrote: Sounds like you are an unhappy FD owner. Maybe you should sell yours to SportPilot, he is planeless.

I am 6-1 and the wing support is above my line of sight, never hit it once.
On the contrary, I love the CT. But I'm not blinded to its design limitations by the fact that I own one.

I am also 6'1", and have also never hit the spar carry-through with my head. But I have also never crashed a CT or flipped it on its back, have you? The spar box is in a perfect location for inertia in an impact to drive your skull right into it.

Your argument is the same as saying your car is fine in a high-speed impact because you've never been hurt in it in your driveway.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Bit more on the Bristell…

Turns out the $110k base price I focused on is if you build it yourself.

And without an engine!

The red taildragger, built with a lot of nice options was $162k.

The yellow nosedragger with expensive custom paint and flush rivets was $167k I think.

Typical of today's prices, I guess.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
c162pilot

Post by c162pilot »

Is the MVP mock-up at Sebring? If so, any thoughts about it?
garbageman

Post by garbageman »

No. A booth, pictures, and animated salesmen.
David
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

FastEddieB wrote:At the other extreme the little Aerotrek taildragger was also pretty cute.
I had an eye for those from the start. But I cannot muster even $80k (which is 1/2 the price of $160k airplanes like Bristell, newer GX, etc.).