Stereotypes about LSAs: True, False, or both?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

dstclair

Re: Stereotypes about LSAs: True, False, or both?

Post by dstclair »

Here's another advantage to LSA (in my experience) although this may be more related to the age of the aircraft.

I just finished the 'owner hindered' annual condition inspection of my Sting (200 line item checklist) which cost $375 excluding the cost of oil, oil filter and 8 spark plugs. So total was probably less than $450. I owned two prior planes that were 20+ years old when I owned them and I probably never spent less than $1000 (adjusted for inflation). I also would've spent a lot more than $22 for plugs :)
dave
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

CTLSi wrote:The Flight Design CTLS has the widest cockpit of all of them (49 inches)...
Far wider that the 51" width of the Bristell...
- Bruce
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

CTLSi wrote:"The Flight Design CTLS has the widest cockpit of all of them (49 inches)"
Again, you are full of crap.
The Bristell has a wider cockpit than the CTLS.
Check the facts before you post your BS.
Better yet, go sit in the cockpit of a beautiful Bristell.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
designrs

Post by designrs »

Nomore767 wrote:Eddie,

Is the bristle tail-dragger the same as the nose-wheel version, except for the landing gear configuration? Or, is it a redesigned version inside the cockpit?

Thanks for the report! Nice paint-job too!
The Bristell taildragger is referred to as TDO (tail dragger option).
I believe that it's the same plane as the tricycle gear version, however there are so many different options for Bristelll interior treatments, avionics, flush rivets, paint schemes, that it is easy to get the impression that it is redesigned.
designrs

Post by designrs »

SportPilot wrote:I'm not sure why a wide cabin is so important unless the pilot and/or passenger is huge. I've never found cabin width to be an issue in any plane I've flown.
I'm thin and only 165 pounds, but it's nice not to be sitting shoulder to shoulder in an aircraft.
Not to say it has to be ultra wide, but I've felt crammed in certain makes and models.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

designrs wrote:
SportPilot wrote:I'm not sure why a wide cabin is so important unless the pilot and/or passenger is huge. I've never found cabin width to be an issue in any plane I've flown.
I'm thin and only 165 pounds, but it's nice not to be sitting shoulder to shoulder in an aircraft.
Not to say it has to be ultra wide, but I've felt crammed in certain makes and models.
Agreed. I'm about 2 and a quarter, and the Tomahawk always felt roomy enough, but in a 172, you need to suspend the concept of "personal space". I've never attempted to squeeze into a 152. A Sportcruiser was pretty good. Carbon Cub was awesome. I've wondered how many students, particularly female students, were put off by the close proximity of the instructor to the student. And the 'trick' of the instructor putting his (usually a male) arm around the student's seat can't help much either.
- Bruce
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Not everyone is enamored with tandem seating but…

...as merlinspop said about the Carbon Cub, tandem seating often makes for perceived roominess in spite of an overall narrow fuselage, as seen below:

Of course, it doesn't hurt to have a wonderful wife/significant other that doesn't complain about being thrown in the back!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Unfortunately, wife (gets a vote) and oldest son (doesn't) aren't fans of tandem seating. Something about disliking the view of the back of my head. But for solo flight, it's awesome.
- Bruce
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

CTLSi wrote: Its a high wing with no struts to block the view.
No struts, just a spar carry-through right by your head to smash your skull and give you and your passenger traumatic brain injuries in a crash.

Every design is a compromise. EVERY. DESIGN.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Merlinspop wrote:Unfortunately, wife (gets a vote) and oldest son (doesn't) aren't fans of tandem seating. Something about disliking the view of the back of my head. But for solo flight, it's awesome.
That's the only downside of tandem seating. Many non-pilot passengers don' like it, they feel alone and disconnected. And conversation seems more natural when you can turn your head and see the other person's face. But for space in a small single it can't be beat.

That said, the CT is pretty darn roomy. The Sportcruiser is as well. Sounds like the Bristell even ups the ante a little.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
designrs

Post by designrs »

MrMorden wrote:That said, the CT is pretty darn roomy. The Sportcruiser is as well. Sounds like the Bristell even ups the ante a little.
Bristell is slight wider than the SportCruiser. What you notice most though is the semi-reclined seating position in the Bristell, the high-back seats, and the ergonomic updates. Seat cushions can be placed behind the seat back for a more upright position. Rudder pedals are adjustable. Both planes can accommodate people well over 6 feet tall. I know of one gentleman that appeared to be about 6'5 and flew the SportCruiser!
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »