Allegro as ELSA?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

rezaf_2000

Allegro as ELSA?

Post by rezaf_2000 »

Was the Allegro ever offered as a kit? I see ELSA Allegros once in a while, and wonder if they are downgraded from SLSA, or actually kit built?
200 hours of flight and counting
3Dreaming

Re: Allegro as ELSA?

Post by 3Dreaming »

I am not aware of any kits. Likely downgrades from SLSA.
bottleworks

Post by bottleworks »

(I'm gone. Everything deleted! Can't stand the ignorant data spread here).
Last edited by bottleworks on Fri May 08, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

3Dreaming wrote:I am not aware of any kits. Likely downgrades from SLSA.
Sounds like an upgrade to me. ;)
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
comperini

Post by comperini »

bottleworks wrote:Based on that, it sounds like they can sell you some sort of kit.
And they don't have to sell it as a kit. When you purchase a new one, you should be able to tell them "oh and by the way, register it as an E-LSA instead of an S-LSA"

There is no requirement that you build any part of the plane.
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

comperini wrote:
bottleworks wrote:Based on that, it sounds like they can sell you some sort of kit.
And they don't have to sell it as a kit. When you purchase a new one, you should be able to tell them "oh and by the way, register it as an E-LSA instead of an S-LSA"

There is no requirement that you build any part of the plane.
Unlike owner build for non LSA, like the Lancair which requires 51% owner build, LSA is different.

An ELSA must be fully specified and buildable as an SLSA. But as noted by comperini, one can have a factory build all, part or none of it and register it as an ELSA. One can also, at any time, reregister an SLSA as an ELSA.

The disadvantage of ELSA over SLSA is being unable to rent the plane out, or have it used as a trainer. The advantage is not being required to follow manufacturers mandates. And being able after a 16hour course to do annuals on the plane.

http://www.kitplanes.com/issues/29_3/bu ... 376-1.html
Last edited by CTLSi on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

CTLSi wrote: Unlike owner build for non LSA, like the Lancair which requires 51% owner build, LSA is different.

An ELSA must be fully specified and buildable as an SLSA. But as noted by bottleworks, one can have a factory build all, part or none of it and register it as an ELSA.

The disadvantage of ELSA over SLSA is being unable to rent the plane out, or have it used as a trainer. The advantage is not being required to follow manufacturers mandates. And being able after a 16hour course to do all but annuals on the plane.

The only thing the 16 hour course does is let you do the annual condition inspection and approve it for return to service. Since it is experimental you can already do everything else.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

3Dreaming wrote:
CTLSi wrote: Unlike owner build for non LSA, like the Lancair which requires 51% owner build, LSA is different.

An ELSA must be fully specified and buildable as an SLSA. But as noted by bottleworks, one can have a factory build all, part or none of it and register it as an ELSA.

The disadvantage of ELSA over SLSA is being unable to rent the plane out, or have it used as a trainer. The advantage is not being required to follow manufacturers mandates. And being able after a 16hour course to do all but annuals on the plane.

The only thing the 16 hour course does is let you do the annual condition inspection and approve it for return to service. Since it is experimental you can already do everything else.
Sorry, I misread that, you are correct. The 16 hour course give an ELSA owner permission to do annuals. I can see why some do it now...
rezaf_2000

Post by rezaf_2000 »

3Dreaming wrote:

I took the 16 hour course, so I'm legal to do the inspection if I had an ELSA. The course itself was a bit underwhelming. Basically you could sum up the course like this: "There are very important stuff in 43.13 1B/2B, it's 838 pages and weighs 4.4 pounds, go read it yourself! Yay, you are now legal to inspect your ELSA!!!" Ok I admit, it wasn't that bad :twisted:, but I guess they keep the good stuff for the 120 hour course. I'll still sign up for that one when I get a chance to take 3 weeks off the work.
comperini

Post by comperini »

rezaf_2000 wrote:The course itself was a bit underwhelming.
Yes, at best, you might learn "what" to inspect, and you might learn a few things to look for, but for the most part, you're probably taught what inspections you need, and the proper way to log them in the logbook.

But that's useful too... because you don't get any training when you apply for a repairman certificate of an amateur built plane. Can't count the number of times I've helped amateur built owners, who had repairman certificates, but had no clue what their inspection was supposed to include (Part 43 Appendix D), nor did they know what logbook endorsements were supposed to be made, or where to find those endorsements.
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

rezaf_2000 wrote:
I took the 16 hour course, so I'm legal to do the inspection if I had an ELSA. The course itself was a bit underwhelming.
I thought mine was pretty decent, given that the objective is how to inspect, not how to repair.

Anyway, took mine here: http://www.sportaviationspecialties.com. Just outside Atlanta.

Remember, it ONLY authorizes me to do annual condition inspections on my Sky Arrow - says it right there on the license.

Same fellow, Michael Huffman, also handled by conversion to E-LSA.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

IMHO, the most useful part of the LSRI course (aside from learning what's required in a inspection, and how to log it) is the half-day spent in the hangar with an uncowled engine before you. Unfortunately, due to weather, this part of the course got truncated last year at Lock Haven. But, Reza, at least you got to see how a compression check is done, and what fouled spark plugs look like and mean.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
rezaf_2000

Post by rezaf_2000 »

drseti wrote:IMHO, the most useful part of the LSRI course (aside from learning what's required in a inspection, and how to log it) is the half-day spent in the hangar with an uncowled engine before you. Unfortunately, due to weather, this part of the course got truncated last year at Lock Haven. But, Reza, at least you got to see how a compression check is done, and what fouled spark plugs look like and mean.
I totally agree, that half-day part of the course really was the best part of it. I wish the majority of the course was like that, I really would have liked to see how inspection on the aircraft hull should be done, what does aluminum corrosion look like, how to identify structural cracks, how to open the inspection panels and what to look for afterwards, how to inspect for landing gear issues, what does a worn tire look like, etc.

All in all, it was good education and now I'm legal to do an inspection, but I think the course design could have been better. That of course goes back to the course design, and I guess ultimately to FAA requirements for this type of class.
drseti

Post by drseti »

rezaf_2000 wrote:That of course goes back to the course design, and I guess ultimately to FAA requirements for this type of class
You're right, Reza, FAA holds Rainbow on a pretty tight leash.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

I am itching to take my CTSW into E-LSA status. But I still owe money on it, and the lender "does not finance experimentals". Ah well, I'll get it paid off ASAP then make the switch.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA