Allegro as ELSA?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

comperini

Re: Allegro as ELSA?

Post by comperini »

MrMorden wrote:I am itching to take my CTSW into E-LSA status.
Question for you on that... do you have concerns about any increase in insurance premiums (hull, if nothing else), because it's an experimental? Do you have concerns about your resale value in the future, and the fact that it's no longer marketable to flight schools? Does the savings of "doing your own maintenance" outweigh the costs of insurance/resale value?
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

MrMorden wrote:I am itching to take my CTSW into E-LSA status. But I still owe money on it, and the lender "does not finance experimentals". Ah well, I'll get it paid off ASAP then make the switch.
Andy they wouldn't know you made the change, unless you tell them.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

comperini wrote:
Question for you on that... do you have concerns about any increase in insurance premiums (hull, if nothing else), because it's an experimental? Do you have concerns about your resale value in the future, and the fact that it's no longer marketable to flight schools? Does the savings of "doing your own maintenance" outweigh the costs of insurance/resale value?
No and No. I know other LSA owners who have done this, and their premiums have not changed, at least not substantially. Insurance companies don't seem to rate so much based on airworthiness type, but on make and model.

As for resale...while an airplane is a significantly expensive asset, for me it's purely recreational and a depreciating asset. It would be nice if it held its value, but I don't count on that happening any more than I would with a car. The right buyer will recognize the advantages of an E-LSA over an S-LSA, and that would be the buyer I would look for. Such a buyer will realize that allowing user maintenance allows much more timely repairs and adjustments, and does not encourage deferred maintenance as as S-LSA might where owners often choose to "let things slide" rather than deal with the time, hassle, and expense of finding a qualified mechanic to do every little piece of wrench-turning. :)
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

3Dreaming wrote:
MrMorden wrote:I am itching to take my CTSW into E-LSA status. But I still owe money on it, and the lender "does not finance experimentals". Ah well, I'll get it paid off ASAP then make the switch.
Andy they wouldn't know you made the change, unless you tell them.
I'm a mostly by the rules kind of guy...it's at least partially their airplane until I pay it off, I would not want somebody changing the status on an airplane I owned without my consent. I guess I could have just done it and not asked them, but since I asked them and they said no, I feel kind of bound by that.

Maybe a few years of S-LSA maintenance costs will change my mind. :lol:
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

comperini wrote: Question for you on that... do you have concerns about any increase in insurance premiums (hull, if nothing else), because it's an experimental? Do you have concerns about your resale value in the future, and the fact that it's no longer marketable to flight schools? Does the savings of "doing your own maintenance" outweigh the costs of insurance/resale value?
My rate went down slightly, albeit because they would only insure the hull for a slightly lower value ($50k). Paying about $950/yr.

Not concerned about resale. It will be what it will be.

Did not do it for the savings, though they are real. It's the freedom and involvement that is the major benefit for me.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
bottleworks

Post by bottleworks »

(I'm gone. Everything deleted! Can't stand the ignorant data spread here).
Last edited by bottleworks on Fri May 08, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

bottleworks wrote:
Or take the 120 hr course.
That would allow him to maintain and repair it, but not make any mods or parts substitutions without an LOA.

That can be important to some people.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

FastEddieB wrote:
bottleworks wrote:
Or take the 120 hr course.
That would allow him to maintain and repair it, but not make any mods or parts substitutions without an LOA.

That can be important to some people.
Yeah, I would take the 120hr course if I wanted to take on LSA maintenance & repair as a second career. I think going E-LSA and taking the 16hr course is a better way to go if you just want to play with your own airplane.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI