Garmin Doesn’t Sell 2020 Compliant GPS Source for 3GX??

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

cogito

Garmin Doesn’t Sell 2020 Compliant GPS Source for 3GX??

Post by cogito »

I’m building a new panel for my Light Sport and figured I’d go Garmin all the way this time:

Garmin 3GX Touch (which has WAAS GPS) (x2) with autopilot and EIS.
Garmin GTR 200 Transceiver.
Garmin GTX 330ES Mode S Extended Squitter (ADS-B) Transponder.

My avionics dealer/installer called Garmin who said we need to add a nav/com like GTN 625 for an “approved position source” to feed the GTX ES or I won’t have ADS-B out. I don’t have the space and the GTN is spendy. (I know I could free up some panel space using remote transceiver transponder, but from using a touch screen for the last year I know I far prefer buttons.) The lower cost solution is to go with a Freeflight TSO Certified GPS/WAAS sensor, but that’s still $3,700.

I’m having trouble believing Garmin is suggesting I go to another manufacturer for a GPS. I know it sounds like I’m one of those pilots disgruntled by ADS-B. Really I’m a huge ADS-B fan and can’t wait until 2020, but this seems strange to me.

Let me know if you guys have any better information.
Thanks,
Craig
dstclair

Re: Garmin Doesn’t Sell 2020 Compliant GPS Source for 3GX??

Post by dstclair »

Craig,

Since a GPS can be mounted about anywhere, why not go for a non-certified WAAS source now then change it out when closer to 2020 when I'd guess there will be more and less expensive choices?
dave
cogito

Re: Garmin Doesn’t Sell 2020 Compliant GPS Source for 3GX??

Post by cogito »

After a day of emails with different members of the 3GX team (they call themselves 3GXperts, btw) I finally got the information I was looking for:

"a single RS-232 interface between the GSU25 ADAHRS and the GTX330ES provides the non-compliant position and other data needed for the GTX330ES to transmit ADS-B Out and wake up the ground stations allowing you to receive ADS-B TIS-B/ADS-R traffic services today."

So I *can* use the 3GX to feed the GTX330ES it just won't be 2020 compliant, strange how not all the Garmin 3GXperts knew that. So David your answer is correct except I don't even need to buy any additional boxes now, 5 years is an eternity in electronics innovation so who knows what solution might be available by then (or if the FAA pushes the date a little.)

Yes, I answered my own question on the board, but I figure it may help the next person trying to figure this out.