J-3 Cub pilot report

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

SportPilot

Re: J-3 Cub pilot report

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rezaf_2000

Post by rezaf_2000 »

drseti wrote:
rezaf_2000 wrote:yes, I do look forward to trying a Taylorcraft. Does anyone know of a flight instructor in midwest with one?
Why, that would be our friend Tom Baker, alias 3dDreaming!
Oh wow, that's amazing, thanks! As it turns out, he and I met earlier at Oshkosh this past Summer, at the Flight Design booth, and talked a bit. Olney noble isn't that far off from me either, only a 2 hours drive away. If Tom has a Taylorcraft for instruction, I'd happily drive over on a weekend.

So, dear 3Dreaming, what say you?! :mrgreen:
200 hours of flight and counting
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rezaf_2000

Post by rezaf_2000 »

SportPilot wrote:Why don't you stick with one aircraft and get your Sport Pilot certificate, then fly other airplanes?
Well said SportPilot, and that's the plan. But now that I have soloed and finally with the finish line in sight, I've started to think about what comes after the certificate. I currently drive 120 miles to get to the LSA plane I train in, and while I'm committed to finishing the certificate this way, I don't think it's a viable long-term solution. Hence, I'm looking at the options.

P.S. There's no LSA plane in my town for rent. In fact, aside from a club with Piper Archers, there's no rental plane available at all.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

SportPilot wrote:If I was you, I would concentrate on getting your Sport Pilot....
Sounds like that's exactly what he's doing. There's no harm in wondering about what comes next afterwards, as long as it doesn't become a distraction.
- Bruce
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I also feel that flying in different types at any point, including during training, will be an overall positive experience.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

No flying Taylorcraft at this point, but I do have access to a Cub as I stated earlier. My dad has a Taylorcraft in the final stages of its second restoration since he has owned it. It won't be for rent, but I might be able to give a ride when it's done. There is also a nice Taylorcraft at MTO. It is privately owned, but you might be able to get a ride.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

SportPilot wrote:
SportPilot wrote:If I was you, I would concentrate on getting your Sport Pilot certificate first. Flying other airplanes might add an element of confusion.
This is my recommendation. Others need not agree. There will be plenty of time to experience other airplanes and other instructors after the check ride.
I tend to agree for the most part, but it does depend on the airplanes and the student.
rezaf_2000

Post by rezaf_2000 »

3Dreaming wrote:No flying Taylorcraft at this point, but I do have access to a Cub as I stated earlier. My dad has a Taylorcraft in the final stages of its second restoration since he has owned it. It won't be for rent, but I might be able to give a ride when it's done. There is also a nice Taylorcraft at MTO. It is privately owned, but you might be able to get a ride.
Thanks, well I'll look forward to your dad finishing his Taylorcraft restoration. And thanks for the suggestion.