Dova Skylark?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

rezaf_2000

Dova Skylark?

Post by rezaf_2000 »

Does anyone have any information on this plane? There are a few on barnstormers and trade-a-plane, but I can't find much more information online. Supposedly at some point "Sports Planes" of Salt lake city was the US distributor, but I can't find any info about that company either. Have they gone bankrupt? Does the Czech parent company (Dova) have any presence in the US?

From a specs point of view, the numbers look pretty impressive, specially the useful load of 670 pounds, 1200 fpm/minute climb and 117 knots cruise @ 75% power on a Rotax 912. The winglets are also interesting. But I can't find any other info about this bird. How does it compare with an Evektor or a Sportcruiser?
200 hours of flight and counting
Jack Tyler

Re: Dova Skylark?

Post by Jack Tyler »

What info are you looking for. Google produces many hits, starting with a Dan Johnson write-up,
http://www.bydanjohnson.com/showsplog.cfm?id=810 and followed by a Wiki entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dova_DV-1_Skylar?
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

If I were serious about Skylark, I would've called Skyview on the phone and tried to find out about Craig Vincent's whereabouts. Perhaps he still has connections with Dova. Other than that, I did not hear of anyone trying to import DV-1 again. Of course, one can give a call to Dova as well and ask if they have a U.S. distributor. They should have someone speaking English there.

Craig's last post at SPT was in January 2009. By the looks of it, I reckon no flying Skylark II were ever produced at his facility in Tracy.

Strictly speaking, you don't need a blessing from Craig, Skyview, or Dova themselves to go out and buy a used DV-1 at Barnstormers. But getting into an unsupported airplane is a precarious proposition. You are one little prang away from not having any spares and standing down for good on a $50-80k airplane.
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

BTW, DV-1 did not hit the book numbers. The 2010 model that Skyview had for factory demo clocked in at 643 lbs useful. This is still quite amazing. Only Remos GX and Allegro 2007 beat that number. But you won't have 670. Note that Allegro also promises 673 lbs and also falls short once radios are added :-)
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

you may need to refresh your browser. Both my posted links work just fine.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Jack Tyler wrote:you may need to refresh your browser. Both my posted links work just fine.
He's probably encountering another ID ten tango error. Seems to be a recurring thing.
- Bruce
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

CTLSi wrote:
Jack Tyler wrote:you may need to refresh your browser. Both my posted links work just fine.
Please stop using my real name. And you need to check your links. One of them is misspelled and does not work. My browser works fine.
They both work here. Which one do you believe is wrong?
- Bruce
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Both links work on my iPad Mini w/Safari.

Though the Wikipedia link does not seem to go to a Wiki entry.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

The last character is missing from the Wiki one. It only has "Skylar", not "Skylark". It could still work, depending how smart Wiki wants to be about redirects and fuzzy match.
rezaf_2000

Post by rezaf_2000 »

Thanks everyone, and special thanks to zaitcev. I guess given the special situation with LSAs (that instead of FAA pushes all the responsibility to the manufacturer), it becomes very important for the manufacturer to be a long-term viable company. Probably that's why there's not much information out there on more obscure LSA planes.
200 hours of flight and counting