A glimpse of the AeroMobil, a Czech flying car

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Jack Tyler

A glimpse of the AeroMobil, a Czech flying car

Post by Jack Tyler »

Here's a short WaPo article and nicely done video on the latest version of the AeroMobil. It will probably not be in most of our aviation lives, if any, but isn't it interesting how much creativity is being applied to this elusive goal.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/inn ... /?hpid=z13
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
BrianL99

Re: A glimpse of the AeroMobil, a Czech flying car

Post by BrianL99 »

My local A&P & Rotax mechanic, is on the development team for this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo0MEQSGW8w

http://www.terrafugia.com/
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

I think the concept is really cool, but I can't see these beng used in the Real World.
Who would insure them? Even if driven exclusively between home and airfield, a simple 'fender bender' or even a door ding at the wrong spot could leave you unairworthy until an inspection.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the idea.
- Bruce
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

It feels like it's an idea who's time has come.

Then again, it seemed that way at least as far back as the 1950's.

From 1952:

I was 3 for that one, but as long as I've been paying attention they've been "just around the corner"!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Any day now!
- Bruce
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Unless a "flying car" has VTOL capability like an Osprey, it's really just an airplane with a bunch of extra weight needed to satisfy crash regulations and to be safe at automotive cruise speeds. Since it still needs an airport to takeoff and land, the only problem it addresses is the "last mile" issue of how to get to/from the airport when traveling.

It seems that for a lot less weight and complexity, you could design a plane with a belly pod or other special compartment that holds a small scooter or motorcycle, and achieve the same utility. Now, if they *do* get a VTOL airplane in service that could land in any relatively empty parking lot or field, then drive to wherever on the road, that would be really interesting.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

MrMorden wrote:Unless a "flying car" has VTOL capability like an Osprey, it's really just an airplane with a bunch of extra weight needed to satisfy crash regulations and to be safe at automotive cruise speeds. Since it still needs an airport to takeoff and land, the only problem it addresses is the "last mile" issue of how to get to/from the airport when traveling.

It seems that for a lot less weight and complexity, you could design a plane with a belly pod or other special compartment that holds a small scooter or motorcycle, and achieve the same utility. Now, if they *do* get a VTOL airplane in service that could land in any relatively empty parking lot or field, then drive to wherever on the road, that would be really interesting.
This design seems more practical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CajAq6ndJYE
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rgstubbsjr

Post by rgstubbsjr »

What is the point? Are you going to run out and buy groceries with it? Are you going to take it to the movies? Leave it parked in a Target or Walmart parking lot? Cart your new washer, dryer and stove home in it? Where do you put the kids and pets? You can't use it as a commuter car, it just won't stand the rigors of daily driving. Especially if you live anywhere where they salt and sand the roads, or in Vermont where they don't even have paved roads. (Sorry Vermont, but you know I'm right). Can you imagine what a fender-bender would cost, or what will happen when you back it into a mailbox or drive it through a pothole?
Yeah, it's peachy keen technology but it serves no useful purpose.
drseti

Post by drseti »

FastEddieB wrote:as long as I've been paying attention they've been "just around the corner"!
That's right, Eddie. Flying cars are just around the corner. And always will be.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US