25kts Landing

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

FastEddieB

Re: 25kts Landing

Post by FastEddieB »

BrianL99 wrote:
Maybe I just don't have enough LSA experience yet.
Brian,

I have about 400 hours in my Sky Arrow, another 20 or so in another Sky Arrow and a few hours here and there in other Light Sports. Plus we both come from a Cirrus background, so there's that.

I forget where you live.

In any case, if you're close enough, come up or down or over to Copperhill and we can swap rides and compare notes!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

I posted this on the CT forum:

CTSWs are 'pitch attitude' airplanes. By that I mean that a CTSW can be flown well by focusing on pitch attitude. Low wing SLSAs seem more reliant on a flatter pitch attitude and smaller deviations and more throttle reliance and adjustments. This may be somewhat true comparing a CTLS and a CTSW.

Here's how I do it to minimize struggling with controlling speed:

1)Retract to 0° while approaching the pattern. 100kts Vfe.
2)Downwind set throttle to slow to 80kts by keypoint (abeam numbers)
3)Abeam extend 15° flaps and close throttle at the same time. Both changes will effect the nose it will balloon and yaw. Controlling both in one event simplifies things.

4)Extend downwind in level attitude and you should see 62kts in a few seconds.
5)At Vfe (62kts) extend 30° flaps, lower nose till drooped wingtips are level and turn base, all in one event.

6)Trim off the pressure, you should be at 55kts. You can fly the base and final legs without any input for speed control.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

FastEddieB wrote:
BrianL99 wrote:
Maybe I just don't have enough LSA experience yet.
Brian,

I have about 400 hours in my Sky Arrow, another 20 or so in another Sky Arrow and a few hours here and there in other Light Sports. Plus we both come from a Cirrus background, so there's that.

I forget where you live.

In any case, if you're close enough, come up or down or over to Copperhill and we can swap rides and compare notes!
Maybe in the Spring, when I fly down to Florida, Eddie!
drseti

Post by drseti »

CTLSi wrote:dsreti knows what he is talking about...
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I must point out, however, that so do the several other flight instructors on this forum. We all learn from each other. All are worthy of respect.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

CTLSi wrote: There are two guys on the board right now that give advise. One is worth listening to, the other not. dsreti knows what he is talking about...
You shouldn't be so hard on yourself! :twisted:
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

3Dreaming wrote:
CTLSi wrote: There are two guys on the board right now that give advise. One is worth listening to, the other not. dsreti knows what he is talking about...
You shouldn't be so hard on yourself! :twisted:
Ha! I was thinking the same thing, but then if he was talking about himself, then you shouldn't take his advice to not listen to his advice, and then I started to get the same headache I get when I argue with my teenager.
- Bruce
drseti

Post by drseti »

Muriel (my dear wife) says she gets the same headache thinking about time travel paradoxes.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Time travel is easy. The farther you travel the more time it takes.