The Medical Snarl

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Edgefly

The Medical Snarl

Post by Edgefly »

I don't claim to have any special info on this but from just maintaining a reading watch on forums and Alphabet Group writings, it seems likely that the FAA is going to announce some form of reduced requirement for pilot medical examination over the Cold and uncomfortable winter period coming up. If it happens, no doubt 180 ,maybe even a little more hp power plants will be a part of it, with possibly some tart in the treat like some less limiting physical exam by your personal physician every three years or so being a continuing factor and perhaps a theoretical sweetening of assistance from OKC if your physician indicate any possible developing condition. Whatever gilding of the lily takes place, I can imagine it having substantial impact on the "Sport Pilot community" not only from the point of view of enhanced performance aircraft being available to licensed Sport Pilots but only with additional training requirements such as for night operations, mandatory complex airspace operations etc. The almost endless discussion of financial impacts of larger, higher performance aircraft being available to the GA SE market already has fleet and some individual owners of larger cessnas and pipers which are languishing in a sales low pressure right now almost salivating over a potential sales boom which we haven't seen in GA for many years. Whether this will have a real impact on existing LSA owners is not clear to me. One thing is for sure, the pilot group wanting to move into this non-medical group is certainly going to include some sport pilots and it will certainly have some dollar impact if they need to "trade-up". In any event, the next 6-9 months will be interesting not only from licensing perspectives but also in whatever impact it has hull values.
SportPilot

Re: The Medical Snarl

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

How many threads on the exact same subject are we going to have?

The changing of any regulations regarding 3rd Class Medicals, is a red herring in the LSA world. The only people it will matter to, are the pilots in their 60's & 70's, who want to fly the Pipers & Cessnas they flew as younger pilots. The younger guys aren't going to jump back into 50 year old, steam gauge airplanes.

Let's see ... a brand new, all glass LSA for $135,000 or a brand new Cessna 172 for $300,000?

How about a 300 hour, all glass, 3 year old LSA for $60,000 or a 30 year old, steam gauge, Piper Warrior with 5000 hours for $60,000?

$3000 Annuals vs $1000 Annuals?

The LSA market will be just fine.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

BrianL99 wrote: . . . "The LSA market will be just fine." . . .
Concur.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Edgefly, you've expanded the scope of the FAA's pending NPRM re: the Class 3 medical well beyond the FAA's description of it. There's no evidence it will impact the Sport Pilot. There's lots of debate about its ripple effects on Light Sport Aviation and LS aircraft. Brian's comment reflects the fact most of us are weary of 'supposing' and eager to see the steak rather than just talk about the sizzle.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

I'm not 100% in agreement with Brian. Unless my situation is a total outlier.
I want to take BOTH of my sons flying. Heck, I'd even like my wife to come along. I'd MUCH rather have that 50 year old Cherokee than a spiffy new LSA, not that I'd turn one down.
- Bruce
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

CTLSi wrote: No manufacturer will make enough revenue to sustain sales.
You forget that the majority of LSA makers are outside of the US, and we are not their primary market. They sold lots of planes in Europe, Australia, and elsewhere before there was a US LSA rule, they are now selling a few of those planes in the US, and they will continue to have a significant market for their products even if US sales diminish due to positive action on a DL medical.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Bruce, that's one reason why I started out preparing an order for a RV-12 kit and ended up with a much less expensive (already built) Grumman with far more capability. For me it was a no-brainer, not that it will be for everyone.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
Edgefly

Post by Edgefly »

It seems the DOT either leaked or maybe even announced its' review of the revision to the 3rd class medical proposal will be out on Monday. With established time limits on public comment periods etc., publication of whatever the new situation will be will occur within 90 days to six mos. Given that the FAA has already announced that its' position was basically in concert with the AOPA/EAA proposal we will probably have a change in favor of reduced medical requirements within 90 days. Whether this is good or bad for the LSA community is yet to be seen but it looks like something will finally happen on the 3rd class medical requirement.

Dale
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rezaf_2000

Post by rezaf_2000 »

SportPilot wrote:I would be happy if the proposal was as simple as: Licensed Private Pilots or higher may operate under Sport Pilot privileges and limitations using a driver's license medical in standard certificated single engine, fixed gear aircraft up to 3200 pounds max certified gross weigh and 235 horsepower.
Well the pilot protection act specifies VFR, so I guess this is guaranteed to not include IFR. The first stop would be two seaters that are a bit over 1320 lbs, which includes all the Cessna 150/152s. That ought to increase the price of them by a few thousand dollars at least. The main question is whether the bill would put pressure on the price of modern LSAs (probably), and by how much.

Alternatively, how much lower can LSAs go and still be profitable for their manufactures? With the added price pressure, possibly some of the smaller manufacturers are going to go out of business, and the few that remain each get larger market share. Whoever can streamline their manufacturing process and reduce the costs, will win.

I can't wait for the new medical reform, but not to buy an old 150 or 172. I just would like to see the LSA prices go down.
200 hours of flight and counting
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rezaf_2000

Post by rezaf_2000 »

I think it's important that almost everyone looks forward to this reform, perhaps aside from a few groups: possibly medical examiners, and perhaps the LSA manufacturers and dealers whose profit margin will be pressured down.
200 hours of flight and counting